How can you make a living with ethereum technology ?

Hi,

Suppose I wanted to learn all about ethereum and want to start a career as software developer with ethereum.
As far as I understand, a smart contract is smart because it can modify it's codebase when there is a vote for it.
So let's say, someone wants to code a dapp with ethereum.
The dapp is ready and launched: it needs no more further human intervention (by the developer of the dapp).
How can the developer / inventor of the dapp be paid for his work ?
That also should not make him rich quick, that is not the plan with ethereum as I understand but for the time beeing we need to make a living...

I do not see where humans can make a living from ethereum technology.
Many people can profit from it but no one can make a profit from it ?...

dulp

Comments

• o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    A developer should be able to moneterise their DAPP's simply by adding a usage fee in the contract itself so that whenever money is passed through it, the developer gets sent some percent automatically.

The other likely income is simply being paid by an employer/contractor for your ethereum development skills.

As a platform I see that it has huge potential both kinds of income.
  • LarsPensjoLarsPensjo SwedenMember Posts: 35
    edited June 2015

A developer should be able to moneterise their DAPP's simply by adding a usage fee in the contract itself so that whenever money is passed through it, the developer gets sent some percent automatically.

The source code is available, at least the virtual machine code. What is there to stop me from making a new contract, based on the code taking a fee, and simply remove that fee?
    The other likely income is simply being paid by an employer/contractor for your ethereum development skills.
    The world of open source is changing the way you make money from Software. Ethereum itself is an example, based on crowd funding.

On the one hand, you will probably not get rich inventing Dapps. But on the other hand, no one will. And that is one of the major points of efficiency. It is what will keep the cost down, and make all use of Dapps/Ethereum cheap.

Everything you can do with Ethereum, is already possible without Ethereum. But you need a third party, which would add to the usage cost.
  • oliverkxoliverkx Member Posts: 85
    I suspect that people won't make money by simply writing an Ethereum contract.

The two ways I imagine Ethereum being monetized (so to speak) are:

1 - building services on the periphery of the block-chain. For example, if you have an escrow contract for managing commercial transactions, and a dispute arises between the buyer and the seller, all the contract can do is lock-up the funds and trigger the escrow procedure (e.g. notify one or several escrow agents). These agents are most likely going to be off-block-chain entities (humans), who will be compensated in some fashion for their services (monetary, reputation, etc.). Recruiting and managing such agents could be a lucrative business that derives from the use of the block-chain.

2 - using the block-chain as a tool or ingredient for a traditional piece of software. For example, I have been dreaming of an authentication / security management system hosted on Ethereum. The block-chain would provide near 100% up-time/availability, with very little in the sense of capital investment (e.g. servers), and no reliance on a third-party, who might go out of business, get hacked, or otherwise misuse or mismanage the information entrusted to them.

Now, all we need for these dreams to become reality, is an actual solid Ethereum block-chain. From that perspective, the apparent progress made in the past few weeks has been frustratingly slow...
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    edited June 2015
    Check out Red Hat, a company with 7300 employees, and an operating profit of $1.61 billion a year. They do their thing essentially through the offering services around an open source platform (Linux).