Voltage & power consumption struggle RX 580 (Sapphire Nitro+, XFX)

xLoCo99xxLoCo99x Member Posts: 2
Hello guys,

First of all, I want to make a humble statement and say that I DID in fact use the search bar and read through many topics, I've been using this forum as a source of information for some time. But today I need to ask you directly and therefore beg for help.

Situation: XX rx 580 cards, did flashing, bios edited though either SRBpolaris or PBE, including timings, hash rates are OK (around 30mH/s with 1112/2050), however due to the size or our mining operation we need to cut power consumption - at the moment each card pulls around 100W out of wall (shows around 88W in GPU-Z) , and changing any voltage settings in these editors proved to be useless - i doesnt work both with specific values or those 68253 and similiar "pointers"

I tried controlling voltage through claymore miner, failed, I tried OhGodsatool, failed, I tried HEX editiing the whole bios, failed,

I test the cards on Windows, then use phoenix miner/ claymore miner on Ubuntu.

Is there any way to lower the voltage and power consumption? Wattman, Afterburner and Trixx work with Vega 56 but no 580, and I need it done on Linux more than on Windows.

Thanks for ANY help in advance

Comments

• cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    if ur reading 100watts per gpu at the wall ur doing well and cant really do better
    but if ur reading 88W in gpu-z ur not 100 at the wall
    gpu-z only pulls what the gpu itself is using from the 6/8 pin power input
    it does not take into account the 75watts pulled at the pcie slot
    what u could try to do tho is use watt tool and use the voltage offset after mining starts
    i typically dont do any undervolting till this step
    as the DAG needs more power to generate than hashing the algo
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    cidmo said:

if ur reading 100watts per gpu at the wall ur doing well and cant really do better
    but if ur reading 88W in gpu-z ur not 100 at the wall
    gpu-z only pulls what the gpu itself is using from the 6/8 pin power input
    it does not take into account the 75watts pulled at the pcie slot
    what u could try to do tho is use watt tool and use the voltage offset after mining starts
    i typically dont do any undervolting till this step
    as the DAG needs more power to generate than hashing the algo

You could increase input voltage for the "idle" states, then your negative voltage offset will be ok.
  • xLoCo99xxLoCo99x Member Posts: 2
    Thx guys, but I'd really love to do something like this on Ubuntu, Watttool is Windows only. But I will check it out anyways.