Reducing the power consumption on my RX580 Rig

Cavemanpit69Cavemanpit69 Member Posts: 4
All,
I'm looking for some help in reducing my wattage at the wall for my x8 RX580 rig.
I've recently moved from windows to SMOS and my x8 card rig is pulling 1649w at the wall, it was pulling about the same when i was using windows.
I have them set up as follows...
core =1130
Mem = 2100
Core UV = 975
Powerstage 4
TT = 60
MF = 65

Reading through the threads i should be able to knock quite a dent in this, but for some reason i can't get down.

Would appreciate some help Pls...

Comments

• rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    You need to add a negative voltage offset to the bios. The method may vary between cards, so take the time to read the thread.
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd-ati/1604567-polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx.html
  • asusrigasusrig Member Posts: 141
    I am at around 700 watts (need to double check) for six RX580 cards after I used these settings in Claymore. Kept my BIOS as it was. Getting 30.5 mh/s per card with these settings. I have a more aggressive settings for the winter that consumes about 865 watts for six RX80 cards @ 31.7 mh/s each.

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool us1.ethermine.org:4444 -ewal wallet.rig -epsw x -mode 1 -ftime 10 -tstop 85 -tt 55 -fanmin 65 -fanmax 100 -cclock 1160 -mclock 2125 -cvddc 835 -mvddc 835 -asm 1 -dcri 8
    asusrig said:

I am at around 700 watts (need to double check) for six RX580 cards after I used these settings in Claymore. Kept my BIOS as it was. Getting 30.5 mh/s per card with these settings. I have a more aggressive settings for the winter that consumes about 865 watts for six RX80 cards @ 31.7 mh/s each.

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool us1.ethermine.org:4444 -ewal wallet.rig -epsw x -mode 1 -ftime 10 -tstop 85 -tt 55 -fanmin 65 -fanmax 100 -cclock 1160 -mclock 2125 -cvddc 835 -mvddc 835 -asm 1 -dcri 8

Claymore's -cvddc & -mvddc won't work on SMOS.
    rmh said:

asusrig said:

Claymore's -cvddc & -mvddc won't work on SMOS.
    Then why move to SMOS to begin with? Windows 10 works fine. You're not going to get better hash rates moving to SMOS.
  • dewminerdewminer Member Posts: 20
    Voltage offset in VBIOS mentioned by @rmh is one of the options for undervolting AMD Polaris GPUs (most complicated). However, SMOS 3.0 is already using Linux kernel 4.17, so You only need to setup things properly.
    https://cc.smos-linux.org/documents#panel2

Other options are ethos/hiveos, with their own techniques of undervolt/overclock.

You should be able to get Your rig consumption close to 1000W with 8x RX580. (depends on the PSUs efficiency).

dewminer said:

Voltage offset in VBIOS mentioned by @rmh is one of the options for undervolting AMD Polaris GPUs (most complicated). However, SMOS 3.0 is already using Linux kernel 4.17, so You only need to setup things properly.
    https://cc.smos-linux.org/documents#panel2

I'm interested in this, but got a login page on your link. Please can you copy the text from the link, or give some information about what is that the 4.17 kernel can do with the amdgpu driver?

@rmh
    it looks like SMOS 3.0 is using the amdgpu driver "built-in" method (through the sysfs) to undervolt/overclock the RX chips (available from kernel 4.17):
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Voltage-Sysfs

hiveos, is using Wolf's ohgodatool with a script that i posted in this forum few months ago (works with kernel 4.15 upwards):
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/90717

if you prefer to run a standard linux distro (probably ubuntu), to use the sysfs method, you have to
    - run kernel 4.17 or 4.18rc1/2
    - change the amdgpu driver "ppfeaturemask" parameter:
    $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf
    options amdgpu vm_fragment_size=9
    options amdgpu ppfeaturemask=0xffffffff

- set the desired vddc/vddci for each GPU, according to the amdgpu driver documentation: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_pm.c#L459

//usage example
    * set power_dpm_state
    echo "performance" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_state

* set pp_power_profile_mode
    echo manual > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
    echo "5 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_power_profile_mode

* set pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "r" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "s 2 952 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "s 3 1041 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "s 4 1106 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "s 5 1168 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "s 6 1175 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "s 7 1175 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "m 2 2000 850" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
    echo "c" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_od_clk_voltage
  • Cavemanpit69Cavemanpit69 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all your replies, I can go back to windows, although I did find Smos very stable and far fewer stale shares, however I do need to get the power usage down. When I was using Windows I tried different claymore settings but they never seemed to change anything?
    dewminer said:

it looks like SMOS 3.0 is using the amdgpu driver "built-in" method (through the sysfs)

hiveos, is using Wolf's ohgodatool with a script that i posted in this forum few months ago (works with kernel 4.15 upwards)

Very thanks for the info! :)
    You rebuilt my motivation to tweak the cards with impracticable (by me and my time) vrm controller.

edited June 2018

Thanks for all your replies, I can go back to windows, although I did find Smos very stable and far fewer stale shares, however I do need to get the power usage down. When I was using Windows I tried different claymore settings but they never seemed to change anything?

Which brand RX580 do you have and what memory? You can use the bios I posted here as reference:

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/18239/summer-tuned-settings-for-rx-580-cards#latest

If you have a Saphire or any other RX580 with Samsung memory you can flash it directly with this BIOS. But to be safe just download the latest version of Polaris Editor that has the one click timing feature built in. Hopefully you already have a backup your Stock BIOS saved somewhere. Open your stock BIOS in Polaris Editor. Apply the one click timing patch. Then open my BIOS in another session of Polaris Editor and arrange them side by side. Then just copy / transpose over the settings from my BIOS to the new BIOS you are creating. Leave the memory settings alone since the one click timing button took care of that.

I've flashed various brands of RX580 cards based on this method and they all delivered 31.5 - 31.7 mh/s.

I am attaching my summer and winter AMD settings for Claymore in a ZIP file. The winter settings will deliver 31.7 mh/s @ around 140 watts. The summer settings will deliver 30.5 mh/s @ around 115-120 watts. I also have Nvidia cards in the same rig with the RX580 cards and have a different Claymore batch file for the Nvidia cards. I isolate the cards via the -d switch so my six RX580 cards in a rig are called out as -d012345. The seven Nvidia cards in a rig are called out as -d6789abc. I removed these flags from the batch files attached in the zip file in this post because I don't know if you have Nvidia and AMD cards in the same rig. You don't need the -d flag if you only have AMD cards in the rig.

Note the winter settings are very aggressive and the only way to get the cards to mine successfully is to connect to the rig via RDP. If you try via VNC, Logmein etc. it will error out. But via RDP it works fine and I mined for months that way. Only drawback is when you connect via RDP to start mining Claymore will not report the AMD GPU temperatures / fan speeds for some reason. Nvidia cards are not affected by this and properly report the settings. The summer settings will work via VNC / Logmein and the temperatures / fan speeds are reported for the RX580 cards.

Make sure you have the latest AMD driver for RX580 installed and Windows 10 Build 1709. Do not install Build 1803 it is full of problems. Your cards should also all be set to Compute Mode. There is a tool that will set multiple cards via a single click - search for it on Google.
    @Cavemanpit69
    - you are right, claymore's miner undervolt capability is limited, his miner is unable to set the vddc/vddci below(around) 900mV. to be honest, i don't understand why everyone is using claymore's miner for ether, if there is a better and open-sourced miner available https://github.com/ethereum-mining/ethminer

@rmh
    - right, the VBIOS surgery to insert in VRM offset and then the endless cards flashing to find the correct offset for each GPU is really a PITA :)

@asusrig
    - to use Windows for mining nowadays when Linux does everything better ? maybe for Vega, otherwise - no way!
    asusrig said:

Which brand RX580 do you have and what memory? You can use the bios I posted here as reference:

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/18239/summer-tuned-settings-for-rx-580-cards#latest

If you have a Saphire or any other RX580 with Samsung memory you can flash it directly with this BIOS. But to be safe just download the latest version of Polaris Editor that has the one click timing feature built in. Hopefully you already have a backup your Stock BIOS saved somewhere. Open your stock BIOS in Polaris Editor. Apply the one click timing patch. Then open my BIOS in another session of Polaris Editor and arrange them side by side. Then just copy / transpose over the settings from my BIOS to the new BIOS you are creating. Leave the memory settings alone since the one click timing button took care of that.

I've flashed various brands of RX580 cards based on this method and they all delivered 31.5 - 31.7 mh/s.

I am attaching my summer and winter AMD settings for Claymore in a ZIP file. The winter settings will deliver 31.7 mh/s @ around 140 watts. The summer settings will deliver 30.5 mh/s @ around 115-120 watts. I also have Nvidia cards in the same rig with the RX580 cards and have a different Claymore batch file for the Nvidia cards. I isolate the cards via the -d switch so my six RX580 cards in a rig are called out as -d012345. The seven Nvidia cards in a rig are called out as -d6789abc. I removed these flags from the batch files attached in the zip file in this post because I don't know if you have Nvidia and AMD cards in the same rig. You don't need the -d flag if you only have AMD cards in the rig.

Note the winter settings are very aggressive and the only way to get the cards to mine successfully is to connect to the rig via RDP. If you try via VNC, Logmein etc. it will error out. But via RDP it works fine and I mined for months that way. Only drawback is when you connect via RDP to start mining Claymore will not report the AMD GPU temperatures / fan speeds for some reason. Nvidia cards are not affected by this and properly report the settings. The summer settings will work via VNC / Logmein and the temperatures / fan speeds are reported for the RX580 cards.

Make sure you have the latest AMD driver for RX580 installed and Windows 10 Build 1709. Do not install Build 1803 it is full of problems. Your cards should also all be set to Compute Mode. There is a tool that will set multiple cards via a single click - search for it on Google.
    Thanks for this....
    They are all MSI cards 7 are Hynix and the other Samsung. I brought the rig of a friend already up and running, but he's left the place I work now. I'm led to believe the cards have already been flashed.
    I've just powered the rig back up in Windows to check the memory using GPU-Z and have started minestat. See attached pic of claymore settings...
    asusrig said:

Thanks for this....
    They are all MSI cards 7 are Hynix and the other Samsung. I brought the rig of a friend already up and running, but he's left the place I work now. I'm led to believe the cards have already been flashed.
    I've just powered the rig back up in Windows to check the memory using GPU-Z and have started minestat. See attached pic of claymore settings power usage meter.

I have tried many other claymore settings to reduce the power usage but it's like it just ignores them and the usage stays high. I also have tried afterburner but to no avail....
    Just tried the summer settings and get these errors, I got this when I tries other similar settings.

Just tried the summer settings and get these errors, I got this when I tries other similar settings.

I don't use minerstat. I have Claymore 11.0 in its own folder on the desktop. The batch file is in the same folder as Claymore.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.0
    edited June 2018
    dewminer said:

@Cavemanpit69

@asusrig
    - to use Windows for mining nowadays when Linux does everything better ? maybe for Vega, otherwise - no way!

In which way? What are your hash rates / power numbers?

My experience with stable mining in Windows 10:

1080 ti = up to 56 mh/s
    1070ti = up to 32.5 mh/s
    1070 = up to 32.5 mh/s
    RX580 = up to 31.7 m/s

If you're not beating what we are getting with Windows 10 I fail to see how it is better.
    @asusrig
    i'm using only AMD RX cards, so I can't comment Nvidia.
    each RX580 with 8GB memory can do 31 mh/s, especially with Micron/Samsung memory chips regardless of the OS you use. (with modified memory straps off course).

Linux advantages (just a few):
    - a server OS designed to run 24/7
    - you can run it from a 5$ USB flash drive
    - many Linux distributions customized for mining are available, you only need to write the OS image to a USB key and configure the miner through a WebUI within a few minutes.
    - much better logging/debugging capabilities

As I mentioned before, Claymore's ethereum miner undervolt implementation on Windows is limited to a certain level(s) of vddc/vddci voltages. You can try to set Your desired voltage to 800mV, but it never goes below 900mV (check the GPU-Z output).
    I can push the Polaris GPU voltages close to 800mV on Linux, setting the core clocks to/or below 1100MHz mining ethash.

Regarding the power consumption, in You previous post You reported these numbers:
    31.7 mh/s @ around 140 watts.
    30.5 mh/s @ around 115-120 watts.
    These numbers are from GPU-Z (which reports only a GPU power draw) or calculated from a rig overall consumption ?
    dewminer said:

@asusrig
    i'm using only AMD RX cards, so I can't comment Nvidia.
    each RX580 with 8GB memory can do 31 mh/s, especially with Micron/Samsung memory chips regardless of the OS you use. (with modified memory straps off course).

Linux advantages (just a few):
    - a server OS designed to run 24/7
    - you can run it from a 5$ USB flash drive
    - many Linux distributions customized for mining are available, you only need to write the OS image to a USB key and configure the miner through a WebUI within a few minutes.
    - much better logging/debugging capabilities

As I mentioned before, Claymore's ethereum miner undervolt implementation on Windows is limited to a certain level(s) of vddc/vddci voltages. You can try to set Your desired voltage to 800mV, but it never goes below 900mV (check the GPU-Z output).
    I can push the Polaris GPU voltages close to 800mV on Linux, setting the core clocks to/or below 1100MHz mining ethash.

Regarding the power consumption, in You previous post You reported these numbers:
    31.7 mh/s @ around 140 watts.
    30.5 mh/s @ around 115-120 watts.
    These numbers are from GPU-Z (which reports only a GPU power draw) or calculated from a rig overall consumption ?

Power draw is calculated via an APC UPS Backup. I have a few rigs with six RX580 cards per rig and the UPS is large enough to handle six cards. Total power consumption is reported by the UPS monitoring software. I also have a smart meter that can provide power draw at the outlet after the UPS. I'll post some screenshots. Windows 10 works great for mining with very little drama and it is pretty stable as well so long as the environment is correct and the heat is extracted from the mining room.
  • mrleeds6mrleeds6 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, this is probably a noob question but i have gpu's with 1x8pin power and some with 2x8pin power. Do i need to fill the power . I only use 1 x 8 pin on all cards and they are working fine (same hashrate). Is this a disaster waiting to happen
  • SaphSaph Member Posts: 72
    edited July 2018
    Just add -cvddc 880 -mvddc 880 to your .bat, reduce by 5 until the rig becomes unstable then pick the last stable voltage.

The below is only necessary if you have a sub-3gb AMD card, remove it otherwise.

• eFiJyeFiJy Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I did this to my 7x Vega 64 mining rig and i get 1305 watts.
    Hope this helps.

eFiJy said:

Hi. I did this to my 7x Vega 64 mining rig and i get 1305 watts.
    Hope this helps.

Nice. We have a 1080 ti rig with eight cards. 55 mh/s per card @ 160 watts. Rig consumes about 1400 watts @ 440 mh/s.
  • eFiJyeFiJy Member Posts: 7
    Yeah, I guess Nvidias are better in terms of consumption than Vegas, even though the 1080 ti is a beast clearly. Did you use that ethlargement pill to make them get 55?
    eFiJy said:

Yeah, I guess Nvidias are better in terms of consumption than Vegas, even though the 1080 ti is a beast clearly. Did you use that ethlargement pill to make them get 55?

Yes. Before the ethlargement pill the best I could get with a 1080ti was 39 mh/s stable. I did get it up to 42 mh/s but if would crash. But with the ethlargement pill 55 mh/s is stable. I have not tried pushing past that with extreme overclocking but I have heard 56-57 mh/s could be possible.