Surge protection necessary?

merkleminermerkleminer Member Posts: 15
Recent lightning storm had me wondering:
1. how necessary is surge protection on our rigs? Does the PSU absorb any of it? What are larger farms using?
2. What brand/model is actually suitable to use on a 1300-1900W rig? Most normal strips are not rated for that much juice pumping through 24/7.

The thought of losing several rigs in one blip has me nervous. Thanks.

Comments

• Dr_House86Dr_House86 Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I may dissapoint you but nothing helps really against a lightning strike.
    If the Hit is direct it will kill all electronic in the near location, if there is a cable or not.
    If hitting not direct the amps are to high, a normal surge protector cant save that.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Trust in your PSU's protections, I'd say. This is one of the many reasons to invest in quality PSUs with long warranties.
  • mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Have a licensed electrician install surge protectors at the panel. They cost approximately 175$ (CAD).

• Swimmer63Swimmer63 Member Posts: 35
    I would defer to mmx. You either need to spend a lot of money or hope for the best. I don't have surge protection on any of my rigs or locations. But it would not be a bad investment. I just opt to get another gpu or two.
  • shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    @merkleminer take out some sort of insurance policy on your rigs =P

some homeowners insurance may cover it.

I personally have mine daisy chained on 2 surge protectors, but in the event of a lightning strike or other massive surge, nothing is going to stop it except some very expensive equipment.

I've had a lightning strike fry a computer that wasn't even plugged in, just from the static electricity or whatever
  • HorenceHorence Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for you nice sharing. I think surge protector is necessary to every tools. Different tool requires different surge protector. This tool that I'm using now is 6 outlets surge protector with 4 USB charging ports. With using this tool, you can charge more than 6 tools in the same time. Maybe you can learn more about it on bestekmall. Wish this tip is helpful to you.
  • pchampnpchampn Member Posts: 4
    I bought couple of Tripp Lite TLP1008TEL surge protectors, as recommended by The Wirecutter. Also, make sure to replace your surge protectors every 3 to 5 years and after major lightening event near your house. The surge protectors at the panel won't do much more than this surge protector in an event of direct or nearby lightening strike and instead will instill a fake sense of security. Highly recommend you read the entire article and decide yourself though.
  • asusrigasusrig Member Posts: 141
    I have a whole house surge protector on a dedicated 20a circuit of the panel. All rigs are also connected to UPS backups on the battery side. If voltage drops or spikes the UPS kicks in.