RX 480 blew up!

solarion3000solarion3000 Member Posts: 9
Hi all,
my Sapphire RX 480 8GB GPU which was working stable in my rig, blew up yesterday, causing a small flame and a terrible smell coming out of the front.
What caused the damage I cannot exactly tell. It came actually out of nowhere and suddenly popped.
I took some pictures to let you see if anyone knows which part of the card blew up.
Maybe somebody has some advice if the card still could be used for replacement parts or something else.
Let me know.

Comments

• cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    what did u do? lol

at the 7:17 mark he says its very hard to blow up the VRM haha
    if it wasnt something u did this is def covered under warranty as its a flaw
  • solarion3000solarion3000 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the vid.
    I turned the power on and suddenly it pooped. I did not do anything special before that.
    Do you think I could send it to the manufacturer?
    as long as its still under warranty yea def
    those vrms can handle 600A at insane silicon melting temps
    i highly doubt its anything u did
    unless ur hex editing the bios
  • solarion3000solarion3000 Member Posts: 9
    yeah, I modded the Bios to optimize it for mining. That´s the standard for all my cards. The rest of RX480 is running constantly without problems.
  • jetpackjetpack Member Posts: 88
    That looks like the MOSFET, basically just a relay or switch.. but 50amp guy.. if that goes could be something else also. Hard to track some of these problems down. Those do only cost $1.70 tho haha.
    modding a bios and hex editing ur bios are almost 2 different things
    if u used a program to mod then that program did the editing for u
    but if u are playing with voltages thru hex editing urself then its on u maybe