Does number of PCI Express lanes matter?

BronzetankBronzetank Houston, TXMember Posts: 15 ✭✭
Has anyone tested to see if the number of PCI Express lanes connecting to the graphics card makes a difference in mining speed? 16 vs 8 vs 4 vs 1?

The way I understand it, all the memory bandwidth that matters (memory pulls from the DAG) is all contained within the gpu itself, and the pcie lanes are just being used to report back to the network. Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    No, they do not matter, i.e., take 6 cards, plug them all regardless of # of lanes and you'll find nill difference in hashrate per card.
  • BronzetankBronzetank Houston, TXMember Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Thanks Stephen.
  • hangabershangabers Member Posts: 63
    To add to the question above, does the version of PCI Express matter?
    As in can a board with PCIE2.0 running cards that are PCIE3.0 pose a problem?
    I've read before that this isn't an issue for mining in general, but I think I read somewhere that ether mining needs larger pipelines because of the bandwidth use, and I'm worried about a bottleneck being created with mismatched hardware. Of course I am likely completely off base here. (I dabbled with mining a year ago, but I want to really get into it for at least the early parts of Ethereum while I can)