MSI Gaming 580 8GB - over 30 MH/s ?

lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
Dear All,

Recently I have bought some new 580's(Nitro+ & reddevil) and they overclock so easily.

The problem is that I have many MSI 580 8GB Hynix and Samsung that will only reach 28.2 Mh/s and 29.4 Mh/s respectively.

I have even taken one of the cards apart to improve the cooling as the thermal tape was poorly applied. I even added some mini heat sinks above the memory chips - Made no difference

I have also tried many custom bios and millions of Claymore tweaks.

I always end up with the same problem where if I increase the memory speed over 2000, I get memory errors as seen via HWINFO.

Had anyone got these cards running efficiently over 30 Mh/s ?

Comments

• peshetomanpeshetoman Member Posts: 78
    did you do the one click patch ? mining.help guide?
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭

did you do the one click patch ? mining.help guide?

Yes, there just seems to be a bottlenecks somewhere.
    Come on guys someone must know something ;-)
  • bluspiritbluspirit Member Posts: 18
    Similar problem here!
    GPU0 is a MSI 580 8G gaming x (hynix) with one click timing straps, GPU1 is a NITRO+ 580 4GB (hynix) with stock bios that I have not yet had time to mod. :D

show a CPUZ screen shot of each card you have
  • obliqueoblique Member Posts: 12
    Its luck of the draw. I have the same boards in 4gb with same memory. Some like yours I cant get past 2000 and others get 31 because they are willing to go past the benchmark 2150.
    edited March 2018
    This is GPU1

@peshetoman - The other cards have the same values, what are you thinking ?
    I think it may a cooling problem on the VRM's. Does anyone have a link to the thread about disabling the annoying zero fan with these MSI 580's ?
    i have the feeling you didn`t patch the bios nor clocked the cards to the required values: i did the following steps for the 6 rx 580 i have. Extracted the bios with cpu z. Used the one click memory patch. Flashed the patched bios to the card from which i got it. Then i got OverdriveNtool and moved the core to 1150 850mv and the memory to 2250 850. From there i changed the readeon settings to compute for each card and started testing if the values are stable, if not increase the core to 1200 and the mv of the core to 875mv. i used the article in mining.help as most of the users here probably did :) Try those steps as at this point it seems like you are running your cards @ default. At this point i have my cards @ 31.5 31.7 + dual mining another coin. Temps are at 60 in an open rig. Let me know if this helps

i have the feeling you didn`t patch the bios nor clocked the cards to the required values: i did the following steps for the 6 rx 580 i have. Extracted the bios with cpu z. Used the one click memory patch. Flashed the patched bios to the card from which i got it. Then i got OverdriveNtool and moved the core to 1150 850mv and the memory to 2250 850. From there i changed the readeon settings to compute for each card and started testing if the values are stable, if not increase the core to 1200 and the mv of the core to 875mv. i used the article in mining.help as most of the users here probably did :) Try those steps as at this point it seems like you are running your cards @ default. At this point i have my cards @ 31.5 31.7 + dual mining another coin. Temps are at 60 in an open rig. Let me know if this helps

Thanks for taking the time to explain those steps. I will try them now and thanks again ;-)
    @bluspirit & @peshetoman - After some initial testing I managed to get the one card, which I enhanced the cooling, up to 30.5 Mh/s. Another card, of a different brand I got up to 31.5MH/s so many thanks!!!!!

When I have some time I will upload some pictures to show the modifications to the MSI Gaming 580 card. Basically the the cooler has a design floor, as the GPU main heat sink is too low. This means that two of the memory chips are half covered by the front-plate. In the newer cards the GPU main heat sink is higher so the memory chips are all attached to some form of heat sink.

To be honest I'm not sold on the whole front-plate/back-plate design but based on the warping I have seen with old cards, the additional strengthening is required! I personally think they have fixed one problem and reintroduced another. Since I have a dead card I'm going to prove a point though ;-)