Hash rate swings a high of 320 to low of 50

mbrandombrando Member Posts: 21
Hello,

I've been mining ETH ala pool-usa.ethosdistro.com pool for a few weeks now and when I view my progress at https://eth.nanopool.org/ for my wallet/account the graph shows large swings in hashing rate.

I'm running a six GPU RX 580 rig with about 150 mh/s, yet there are times when the graph will show a low in the 50's and sometime a high in the over 320 mh/s.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on why the hash rate would swing so much when the rig is reporting a hash rate of about 150 mh/s. Also when I look at the ETHos realtime hashing, the rig is buzzing along at about 150 mh/s.

I did notice that when it is low the accepted shares are low too and when it is high the accepted shares are higher.

You think this has to do with shares being rejected that would make for the lower hashrate on the graph? However, how would we account for the near double hash rate of the rig at times?

I'm averaging out for a 2 hour average of 151 mhs/s. However, I'd like to better understand what is going on in the process of taking in work hashing and sending the resulting share back to the pool.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• peshetomanpeshetoman Member Posts: 78
    the reported hashrate in nanopool is your hashrate as seen in the mining soft. the 320 you mention is related to the number of accepted shares. the more the pool accepts the higher the calculated hashrate is. the few the pool accepts the lower the calculated hashrate. Shares is what gives you profit, the more you have the higher the profit, but shares are pure luck. There is no way to assure that you get an accepted share. Rejected shares on the other hand might be due to memory errors or slow internet connection. rejected share will show in your mining software only. The number of accepted shares and rejected shares is not connected at all. You might have 0 rejected and still just a few accepted , but you can have 1 rejected and a high number of accepted.
  • mbrandombrando Member Posts: 21
    Hello,

Thanks. That helps.

- Mike
  • rigproxyrigproxy Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2018
    Hi,

You should have more than 150 with 6x RX 580.
    What is the brand of you GPUs ?

Have you strapped the memories ?
    Are you doing some undervolting ? overclocking memory ? downclocking core ?

I get 170-175 with my 6xRX570

Hello,

I was just running them unmodified and default ethos config.

I recently set my core mem 2200 and am now getting about 161 mh/s.

The are all powercolor cards 3 red devils and 3 red dragons.

- Mike
  • rigproxyrigproxy Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2018
    You can take them at a higher level by modifying the bios but it could lead to headhaches :smile:
    All GPUs do not behave the same way even if they are from the same batch and you have to test each of them separately to get the correct speed.

You can also brick GPUs if not done properly.
    if ethOS doesn't undervolt, you should do it within bios. I get 80-90 W per GPU for 27-29MH instead of 110-120W without undervolting.

My RX570 are nitro+ 4GB, strapped from 1500MHz, with 8 GB, you have to strap from higher clock.

You can check anorak.tech for more info, it is a nice forum for bios modding and optimizing
    Hello,

Thanks. I'll check it out. If I can get another 3 to 5 mh/s per card it would be like having a 7th card.

- Mike
  • respirespi Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2018
    Hey did you ever resolve the issue of your hash rate dropping. I've been mining for about 3 weeks and all of a sudden my hash rate dropped at the pool site and on ethos screen.
    Hello,
    I did some poking around and looked at other miners on nanopool that are hashing at 200mh/s or less and see that they have large swings too. I think it is the nature of the process. Those in the giga hash rate show a flat line because they are able to process so much more.

See here is a miner similar to mu setup https://eth.nanopool.org/account/0x3af964693f7f66839342cfefbcf22cc15c63ab4f it has deep swings too.

Here is a high rate minier. https://eth.nanopool.org/account/0x8342ea6290720d6592b3e64fe3ee1c4c9d81a006

It is more flat with fewer dips.

https://eth.nanopool.org/account/0x40e3a64fa36cdc7332e3747a0932d043c975ac34

You can see the is one is even flatter. I think this is a factor of the difficulty and hashing rate of the miner.

- Mike