GPU MINING ILLEGAL? (experiencing some weird behavior in multiple PC repair shops)

CaliciteCalicite Member Posts: 44
Hi, :|

I went to three local PC repair shops, and they all acted weird when they saw my RX 470 (Mining Edition)! They completely refused to help, because it it is Bitcoin mining card and they don't repair such a hardware. But all I wanted was to test if any different PC recognizes GPU as device. Simple and easy don't see much difference from regular RX 470. They acted like I am doing something that is not allowed...
Are GPU mining illegal? Why they refused to help?

So here is the full story of my RX470 problem: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/17511/weird-problem-rx-470-help#latest

Comments

• XcoderXcoder Member Posts: 35
    What did you expect from them? To repair the 470 or to allow you to mount your probably faulty component in one of their PC's? Both seems to be rather unreasonable expectations.

Wether mining is illegal or not depends on the country you live.
  • CaliciteCalicite Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2018
    Thank you for reply.
    Sorry I did quick search and found out something.
    It is completely illegal just in few countries.
    It is not completely illegal in my country, but attitude toward cryptocurrency is is horrible here.
    Current status: contentious (interpretation of old laws, but bitcoin isn't prohibited directly)

Yes I was expecting them to help out and check if the card is dead or not.
    Isn't this what PC repair shops are meant for? A lot of faulty broken pcs there to test and fix.

If it is Shorted or Bricked can it do any damage to Mobo or other components?
    I want to try force BIOS flash back to original via ATI-flash USB boot.
    Is it dangerous to my other components?

I don't have another mobo to try at the moment if GPU dead or not.
    Maybe it is because new x399 mobo have bios issue, card was working perfectly fine in my old mobo asus x79, before.

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Why don't you just use warranty?
    I also answered in another your topic.
    edited March 2018
    Thank you for reply!
    Jukebox said:

Why don't you just use warranty?
    I also answered in another your topic.

I would like to use warranty ,but card is BIOS MODED or maybe shorted.
    Can someone confirm that warranty will work for BIOS moded card??
    I bought it from official Sapphire not long ago, its almost new.
  • Ericjh801Ericjh801 Utah, USAMember Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure they care if the BIOS is modded or not if it's a hardware error. It can't hurt to try can it? Out of curiosity which country are you in?
    Lets say somewhere near Vladimir Putin...
    But I don't speek russian and don't want to fully learn in my opinion this rude language also, so freelancer job on net and mining is my only way to have income. About $150 if lucky $400 month barely can survive on that sad, sold some property to buy new cool pc and some gpus for mining

I have never used warranty before.
    As I understand first I have to contact sapphire, tell the problem, ship the card and wait for 1 month till they ship new or in worst case reply with bad news. Am I right?
    I don't really know how does it work, but have heard that moded card chips are no no...

Here is the problem with my RX470, its kinda weird, can someone help a bit, I don't have any experience with moded gpus, maybe it is common problem??
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/17511/weird-problem-rx-470-help#latest
  • sutheksuthek Member Posts: 324 ✭✭
    Ericjh801 said:

I'm not sure they care if the BIOS is modded or not if it's a hardware error. It can't hurt to try can it? Out of curiosity which country are you in?

I think the fact his card is a mining card isn't an issue...
    But being a miner means we can have done weird stuff to accomplish the mining.

Putting a faulty video card, with unknown customization, into their computers is dangerous.
    specially when the OP states that it doesn't post in bios.

I think the only place dumb enough to do a test would be a place where damaging their test bench isn't going to hurt their bottom line... big brick and mortar places like bestbuy.

The guy being paid minimum wage won't care if your questionable card fries his test bench.
    OK i understand now,I have seen a lot of people fixing dead bricked gpus, but didn't know it is so dangerous.

I tested before several times on my new pc, nothing bad happened.
    I dont leave power on more than 5mins, because fans are not spinning and I'm always carefully touching gpu to know that it is not heating up also and it is always cold.

Is it dangerous??
    Should I risk to install it again in my system??

Did it fried my old Mobo PCIE slots? (RX470 was working good ,before I took it out and tested new Vega card)

Can I use warranty? is it going to work? at Sapphire they can take out bios chip and see that it is moded so I guess no warranty then? Can someone confirm this?

• sutheksuthek Member Posts: 324 ✭✭
    Calicite said:

OK i understand now,I have seen a lot of people fixing dead bricked gpus, but didn't know it is so dangerous.

I tested before several times on my new pc, nothing bad happened.
    I dont leave power on more than 5mins, because fans are not spinning and I'm always carefully touching gpu to know that it is not heating up also and it is always cold.

Is it dangerous??
    Should I risk to install it again in my system??

Did it fried my old Mobo PCIE slots? (RX470 was working good ,before I took it out and tested new Vega card)

Can I use warranty? is it going to work? at Sapphire they can take out bios chip and see that it is moded so I guess no warranty then? Can someone confirm this?

have you tried a different PCIE slot on your mobo?
    maybe a 1x using a riser cable? (there's risk of frying the riser cable...)

Honestly, I'd just bring it to a big chain store like bestbuy and ask them to test it.
    Or... move on... i suspect it's dead.
    i suppose you could try warranty... what's there to lose? i guess shipping costs?
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    Just send it to seller. If it denies - say to him that you'll send a letter to Sapphiretech headquarters that describes that you denied in warranty by %seller_name%.
    %seller_name% - will have a problems. Up to stop any shipments and any business with Sapphiretech.