RX480 BIOS Flashed OK, Speed is Slow

techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
I have flashed my RX480 BIOS , copying the 1750 value to the 2000 value. I am running Win 7, 64 bit, and the AMD 17.2 drivers (or close to that). I only went from 18MH/s to 19MH/s. I have increased my memory speed to 2250 in Wattman . Is there any other Wattman settings to change (freq volt, etc) to get 25MH/s ? I don't understand why my speeds are so low. The cards have Samsung memory too..

Comments

• XiNiXXiNiX NetherlandsMember Posts: 18
    is this a 4 or 8 gb card?
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    It is a 8GB card, Saphire with BIOS switch
  • XiNiXXiNiX NetherlandsMember Posts: 18
    i think that flashing the card is not good.
    What hashrate do you have with the orginal bios?
    In Windows , around 18Mhs , in Linux it says 24Mh/s. I am going to try in linux again now that it is flashed. I have used multiple computers w/same results. Is there a magic combination of drivers version, os, and clock settings needed?
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
  • TaltonTalton Member Posts: 25
    If it's a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB when my cards sweet spot is 2150 memory.

What brand is the cards memory?
    If it's Hynix then you may have trouble getting high hash rates, I've got 2 GTX 1060s, one with hynix one samsung and the hynix one sucks so bad.

When running in Windows make sure you switch the workload option to Compute from Gaming on the AMD settings page.

Also worth mentioning, I had serious trouble overclock/underclocking with programs like afterburner and trixx, try uninstalling whatever you're using, re installing the AMD drivers and use AMDs WattMan, it's built into the driver download, this allowed me to hit a stable 30.3MH.

Hope my babbling helps, let us know :smile:
    1) I have samsung memory
    2) I have tried in vain to get the "blockchain beta" drivers to work. It boots to Windows, and then the screen goes blank everytime. I don't know if I am supposed to have on board video but I don't.
    3) I have tried 16.x and 17.x drivers
    4) I am now trying simple OS, gave up on win ..will see if simple os (linux ) works.
    5) I will try 2100 to see if that helps
    2) I have tried in vain to get the "blockchain beta" drivers to work. It boots to Windows, and then the screen goes blank everytime. I don't know if I am supposed to have on board video but I don't.

It's because of your mobo - Asus or Asrock. You need to switch "Above 4G decoding" BIOS option to "enabled" right after installing up-to-date drivers.
    You'll have correct video output after that.
    I switched to linux and get 28.x w/ BIOS flash and 25.x with no BIOS flash, so it is working. Settings are power limit to 90%, and Mem @ 2200. Core setting doesn't seem to matter. I've tried core @ 200 and 1000 with no difference. Let me know if any settings can get me to 30Mh/s ... It is samsung memory..

When I go back to Win, Ill try another motherboard that has the above 4gb settings, but may just stick with linux, using perfectmine.io for testing.

2200 memclk is also not safe in most cases.
    I run 1150/[email protected] 0.9 Vcore
    Look at GPU5 hashrate on screen, GPU-Z is showing that card clocks

Ok. Maybe the max was 2150, but I thought it said 2250. I will have to go back and look. Are you running at 100% power? I am only getting 28Mh/s at 90% power. I am using perfectmine.io which has "core", "memory" and "power" settings only. I think I had it running at 2100 mem speed and still was getting only 28mh/s. Let me know if you think I should modify the power,etc..
    techtot said:

Ok. Maybe the max was 2150, but I thought it said 2250. I will have to go back and look. Are you running at 100% power? I am only getting 28Mh/s at 90% power. I am using perfectmine.io which has "core", "memory" and "power" settings only. I think I had it running at 2100 mem speed and still was getting only 28mh/s. Let me know if you think I should modify the power,etc..

I do not touch power limit but use core voltage offset in MSI AB.
    This is a main reason why I stay on Windows - possibility to control core voltage.