Is there any hope to get GPUs anymore?

RedsquirrelRedsquirrel Member Posts: 32
With this shortage it's pretty much impossible to expand mining rigs. But I wonder, is there perhaps places where you can get like lots of 100 cards, perhaps something that's reserved mostly for companies? Maybe we can setup something where we all pitch in and split or something?

Anyone here mining as a business, do you have access to wholesale suppliers like Ingram Micro? How are those looking as far as stock?

Comments

• theonektheonek Member Posts: 94
    edited January 2018
    it's a bad time for expanding, especially with this difficulty rising and eth prices going down.... and the video cards prises are insanely sky high like never before. to be profitable more, the eth price itself should long gone past 2k or more...second wave of gpu crysis appeared to be much harder and very sensless to real money!
  • RedsquirrelRedsquirrel Member Posts: 32
    Yeah I feel that I may have missed the boat. Managed to get 1 GPU but I really want to build a dedicated rig with like 6. I will probably build one anyway as currently my gaming machine is tied up, but if I only can have one GPU running it will be kind of a waste.

How will PoS work? I know there won't be mining, but what kind of setup will be required? I can maybe at least start planing for that. I will want to just hold on to any eth I get I guess.
  • webprodswebprods Member Posts: 3
    PoS at firs stage you have to have at list 1000 ETH to be alowed for PoS. At later time amount of ETH required minimum of ETH will be lower .
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    webprods said:

PoS at firs stage you have to have at list 1000 ETH to be alowed for PoS. At later time amount of ETH required minimum of ETH will be lower .

How current is the source of this information? Because i heard many very different amounts over time.
  • robingreeverobingreeve Member Posts: 9
    I purchased an RX 580's 8GB yesterday from Newegg.com, but I had a limit of one per customer, so a friend bought another. They seem to pup-up at random, and you have tor refresh the page. At 9am, they said "sold out" and at 11am, they had more.
  • VarlicVarlic Member Posts: 7
    I've managed to pick up 4 to build a second rig on ebay in the past 48 hours, but the prices are pretty high right now (GBP 300-400). Banking on appreciation in the future to make my second mining rig pay off.
    I'm tempted at biting the bullet and buying at scalper prices on ebay but it's kind of a risk. I hate to pay double the retail too. There's a risk with Ebay too, that it does not work or you get the wrong product etc.
  • Ericjh801Ericjh801 Utah, USAMember Posts: 371 ✭✭
    I have access to a few wholesalers (ingram micro, etc), they are all back ordered 1000+ units on RX 580's and backordered in general for everything else. I put in an order of 10 (max you can back order, or at least my account) and they said it would be months before I get them.
  • PalladanPalladan Member Posts: 24
    Well I'm off to China again in March so will get the missus to check the prices and availability. May bring a couple of 580's back if the price is good enough.
  • sutheksuthek Member Posts: 324 ✭✭
    If you go to a mainstream site like dell, and try to configure a computer, you'll see adding an rx 580 to your machine adds a disclaimer that the leadtime for your computer is +1 month.

So if big companies like DELL can't get them for their own production line.... there's a shortage.
    Yeah the backorder line is crazy. I emailed a few distributors in china also, and they were all out too with an unknown ETA to get more in. Those who do have them, are charging a lot for them. I picked up a handful of 580's and plan to resell them while the price is higher than normal (550ish each give or take a few dollars).
    Wow sounds pretty bad then. Guess we just have to wait. Downside is time is kind of critical.

Also heard that the manufacturers won't be reving up production, so it means when they do come out they'll just sell out fast again.

Wow sounds pretty bad then. Guess we just have to wait. Downside is time is kind of critical.

Also heard that the manufacturers won't be reving up production, so it means when they do come out they'll just sell out fast again.

why is time critical? Mining has been around for a very long time... and every month people say "you're too late..."... and yet every month profits keep soaring.

Just get them when you can... and don't worry about it.
    Well for Ethereum it's critical, as it will be going PoS in the next year or so. Though I guess there's other coins too.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    I'd say the only option at this point is to buy from a business who has connections already made with these companies, or to pay stupid prices on eBay / amazon resellers.
    and the other thing is to stop mining so much, let's difficulty lowers and the profits rise up again... it's no use to increase the difficulty and number of miners, cause profit is so low and will be more lower at a time! and the money, which are invested in so expensive hardware will never get back in a profit...
    I'm not sure there are many business's who have connections to get these cards specifically. Everyone out there (business and non-business) is looking for them to either add to mining/start mining or resell and make money. (I'm in for both). RX 580 8gb's are going for 500-600 each currently when MSRP is 319.00 and I don't see it coming down anytime soon as everyone is behind on orders. It's pretty crazy. I did see some RX 570 8GB's earlier for 380.00 (overpriced a little to MSRP but not killer). Just have to look around or pay the high price. If you are willing to pay the higher price, send me a message. I have 20 XFX RX 580 8GB's that should be in next Thursday that I will be selling.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    Ericjh801 said:

I'm not sure there are many business's who have connections to get these cards specifically. Everyone out there (business and non-business) is looking for them to either add to mining/start mining or resell and make money. (I'm in for both). RX 580 8gb's are going for 500-600 each currently when MSRP is 319.00 and I don't see it coming down anytime soon as everyone is behind on orders. It's pretty crazy. I did see some RX 570 8GB's earlier for 380.00 (overpriced a little to MSRP but not killer). Just have to look around or pay the high price. If you are willing to pay the higher price, send me a message. I have 20 XFX RX 580 8GB's that should be in next Thursday that I will be selling.

I agree and disagree with this, It depends on how long you've had those connections. I have a business license, and have been doing computers for awhile professionally. If your willing to buy 20k+ of GPU's people will sell these at MSRP. You can also place orders with your newegg rep before they even get any, that way when those gpu's come in your names already on those.
    looks like I can get some RX 580's for about 25% markup from MSRP.
    Tempted to do that. Looks like stock will be available on Monday.
    bctopics said:

Ericjh801 said:

I agree and disagree with this, It depends on how long you've had those connections. I have a business license, and have been doing computers for awhile professionally. If your willing to buy 20k+ of GPU's people will sell these at MSRP. You can also place orders with your newegg rep before they even get any, that way when those gpu's come in your names already on those.
    I just don't think the supply is out there though. Most distro's just seem to be doing a pre order limit but I guess if you have super high connections then maybe. If you do, then now is the time to use them and buy as many as you can find and make some money. It's not often you can make $200 profit on a video card. I unfortunately don't have those connections and i'm on the back order list at Ingram Micro. I've found another source here and there over the last few days, but the quantity just isn't there.

As for suthek's comment, 25% markup isn't that shabby right now. Most seem to be going for 75%+. Wish you luck on finding them!
  • webprodswebprods Member Posts: 3
    I have 8 cards for sale GTX NVIDIA 1070 and 1070 TI .Perfect condition plus two years plan to exchange at MICROCENTER . Also I have ETH for sale. I'm a miner. Anybody interested .Let me know
  • TodgerTodger Member Posts: 8
    webprods said:

I have 8 cards for sale GTX NVIDIA 1070 and 1070 TI .Perfect condition plus two years plan to exchange at MICROCENTER . Also I have ETH for sale. I'm a miner. Anybody interested .Let me know

Yup, stay ahead of the game. With all the people going online now, sell your cards for higher price what you paid and sit on your ETH. Demand is high for the cards and money to make on ETH in mining is coming down as difficulty is soaring with every new miner. Difficulty almost up 50% in the last month alone.
  • TodgerTodger Member Posts: 8
    Palladan said:

Well I'm off to China again in March so will get the missus to check the prices and availability. May bring a couple of 580's back if the price is good enough.

Don't count on it. Been traveling there (Wuxi) since '06 for work (4-6 times a year). They are doing the same thing over there. Nothing on the shelf and the prices are actually higher when available. Chinese have money. Go to Macau for a weekend, makes Vegas seem piddly.
    Well I got lucky! Managed to score a 1070TI on Ebay for a bit over $800. Still more than what I should normally have paid, given I paid $700 on Newegg when I was able to get one earlier.

Guess for now 2 cards will do. Between this, and the parts to build a dedicated rig I have a bit to go before I hit ROI. But I'll be happy once I have my rig properly setup, and ready to accept more cards. Still need to consider UPS power. With 2 cards my existing UPS is ok but if I add more I'll probably want a bigger one.

Right now I'm using my gaming machine temporarily and the card is too big for me to put the cover on the case. Had to drop the box by 1U in the rack. When Ethereum is not profitable I may move to another coin, but I really think Ethereum has something going for it and I hope it does well. I will probably be in till the end when it switches to PoS. I may experiment deeper with it at some point such as setup a local/private network to play with smart transactions and such. That concept really is pretty neat and has lot of potential.

Did not realize you had to have 1,000 eth to even become a node in PoS though. Considering that's over $1M I guess I'm out once it switches to that. :P
    everybody will be out when and if POs comes! And with these 2 cards you hoping to achieve ROI fast - it's absurd and it would never be achieved. But look on the other side, you will have a nice gaming SLI machine! So ine these card prices and demanding (for what exactly, there is no free money or launch) everybody hopes to do anything from nothing with the price of everything!
    theonek said:

everybody will be out when and if POs comes! And with these 2 cards you hoping to achieve ROI fast - it's absurd and it would never be achieved. But look on the other side, you will have a nice gaming SLI machine! So ine these card prices and demanding (for what exactly, there is no free money or launch) everybody hopes to do anything from nothing with the price of everything!

quit spreading fear.
    mining isn't going anywhere. there's plenty of coins to mine IFFFF ETH goes POS in 2018
    I think it's doable, at current rate I'm looking at roughly $100/mo, with two cards it will be double, of course more ROI to cover for, but either way in less than a year it will pay for the cards. Anything else after that is profit. There is also a very slight savings on natural gas as it will essentially be generating free heat. Though a couple hundred watts is a drop in the bucket, so doubt I'll really notice that. Normally hydro heat is inefficient financially but if said heater is making money then it's technically free heat.

Very worse case scenario I just build myself a ridiculous overkill SLI gaming machine.

Actually can these type of rigs render video and do other similar tasks or does that require the full pci-e bandwidth? Way I see it, as long as there are other uses for rigs with many GPUs it's not all a waste, unlike ASIC rigs, when Bitcoin difficulty goes up and a certian ASIC becomes no longer profitable and you got yourself a $6,000 paperweight.
    suthek said:

theonek said:

quit spreading fear.
    mining isn't going anywhere. there's plenty of coins to mine IFFFF ETH goes POS in 2018
    it's not a fear, it's a simple fact and a promise...

People said this stuff years ago, I used to listen but decided to stop because clearly there is still some money to be made or the GPU shortage would not be happening and rather the market would be flooded with tons of cards that were used for mining. I may be late in the game but with the 1 card I'm already making some money.
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭

Did not realize you had to have 1,000 eth to even become a node in PoS though. Considering that's over $1M I guess I'm out once it switches to that. :P

Source of this? (earlier than one year)