Help a newcomer please!

Wasp0Wasp0 Member Posts: 49
Just setup a dual RX 580 (8Gb Strix) mining rig and flashed Bios successfully, but still only getting max 19.2M/hs each card. Load MSI and try overclocking/underclocking, overvolting/undervolting and hash rate drops almost off the board down to 3 or 4 M/hs? Why can i not achive what seems to be the standard for these cards of around 24/25 M/hs??

What do i need to do please?
Need someone to take me under their 'Experienced Mining wing' and guide me through this nightmare. I am mining but painfully slow!

Thanks Muchly

Comments

• rmhrmh Member Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    For those cards, the standard is 30MH/s. There's tons of topics about this particular question, just search for it. Here's one for example: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1954245.0
  • Wasp0Wasp0 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks rmh, new to this forum and new to mining, and not a IT Guru. Already Flashed the Bios of the cards and got a 2M/hs improvement. I must admit i was expecting more from my cards 'Out of the Box' than 17M/hs. I would be happy if i got 24, not after the 30+, just a moderate 24/25!

I have to uninstall Afterburner as it just wrecks my hash rates. Do you think i should be ok with the 17.12 drivers i am using?

Thanks Any suggestions are MOST WELCOME!
  • PalladanPalladan Member Posts: 24
    Hey Wasp0,

That's your problem. You need to search for AMD Blockchain Drivers Windows and install that. It's 17.30 iirc. It's a Beta driver and will pump up your hashrate a lot.
    Palladan,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will certainly try these out tonight and update my post tomorrow. Thanks Again, much appreciated, and it may save some of my hair from being pulled out :smiley: )
    @Palladan Huge thanks, it worked, i am now up to 25 on each card.

Thank you again and congratulations on someone willing to answer a noob question without reverting to the 'Plenty of answers on here, just search'!!

You see guys it only takes a minute to answer civilly!!
  • headshot155headshot155 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Use overdriventool, with that card you should set the GPU core speed to 1150, set the core voltage to 850 and the memory timing to 2000 (you could experiment with higher) and the memory voltage to 850. Also make sure you have the "compute mode" set in the AMD settings file - this is absolutely essential. Good luck, it takes a bit of fiddling!
    @headshot155 Thanks man, i'll try this tool, is it command line or is there a nice noob type Gui interface. Will try you tips as well. When i try use trixx or MSI AB, it just wrecks my hash rates and have to end up uninstalling this overclockers.
    Thank you Sir.
  • Luck0rLuck0r Member Posts: 32
    edited January 11
    From Noob to Noob: Try 17.12.2 Driver:

Fresh Install got me 18-20 MH/s. Set all Cards in Radeon-Settings to Compute-Mode (One by One) got me up to 22 MH/s.

Bios OC got me up to 25 MH/s.

Overclocking the Cards got me up to ~ 31.0 MH/s Stable!

Don't overclock with Tools, just edit the start.bat, mine looks like that:
    -dcri 10 -tstop 85 -tt 60 -fanmin 30 -fanmax 40 -cclock 1150 -mclock 2150 -cvddc 850 -mvddc 850 -powlim -20
    You need to find the best settings for yourself of course.

My Rig is runnig at 46-54 Celsius at 31.0 MH/s ETH + 300 MH/s SIA-Coin.

Used Cards: 5x RX 580 Nitro + 8GB (Samsung, Hynix and Micron) = 760 W from WALL including System and Monitor.

*EDIT*: Using Claymore 10.3

Good Luck
    edited January 11
    Wasp0 said:

@headshot155 Thanks man, i'll try this tool, is it command line or is there a nice noob type Gui interface. Will try you tips as well. When i try use trixx or MSI AB, it just wrecks my hash rates and have to end up uninstalling this overclockers.
    Thank you Sir.

no problem. You should be getting 29mh at conservative settings. OverdrivenTool has a really good gui, it simply implements amd wattman. In my opinion is much better than AB or Trixx which just seems really buggy. You can also setup a bat file to automatically run the settings - Claymore can sometimes reset your cards so you dont want to be messing around with AB or Trixx.

Here is a really really good guide on a whole lot of things but it details what to do with overdrive.

https://mining.help/2017/12/10/windows-10-mining-guide-for-amd-gpus-12-gpu-supported/
    Thanks Luck0r and Headshot155, some good tips, and i will read through the link you sent me Headshot155 this weekend.

Luck0r, i tried your start.bat settings and it made no difference. Where can i find out what they mean (I understand Fanmin and fanmax and cclock and mclock, but have no idea what some of the others mean. I now have 3 cards as i added a 4Gb Sapphire Nitro 580 (Only damn 580 i could find anywhere) and that runs at 22Mhs, but my 2 Asus 580's will not go above 25.3, i am getting 73 M/hs total now but i know i am missing out on quite a few more that are trapped in my system, so keep reading Wasp0 :)

Really Really Appreciate all you guys help to a noob, as this is quite a steep learning curve. :(

Thanks All.
  • PalladanPalladan Member Posts: 24
    @Luck0r Never knew about the parameters overclocking on Claymore 10.3. I've squeezed out another 2mhs per card. Not a huge amount but it all adds up, plus system restarts are a bit faster getting up to speed now.

Much Appreciated.
    @Palladan @Wasp0 Guys I'd be careful using Claymore to overclock - I've used it a lot in the past and it often doesnt implement the clock and voltage settings you input. Your'e much better off using the OverdriveNtool
    @headshot155 What a damn good read you linked me, got my rate up to 28.4 on the 8gig Asus's, and 26.5 on the 4gig Nitro, bloody brilliant. done all me windows tips and tricks, done the MoBo Bios things, running my frame fans a little higher, changed the Primary display to the on board card.....So much done.

Great article and if any other noobs are reading this scratching their head, then READ THIS NOW..........https://mining.help/2017/12/10/windows-10-mining-guide-for-amd-gpus-12-gpu-supported/
  • sutheksuthek Member Posts: 324 ✭✭
    For noobs, I heavilly suggest leaving windows.
    Windows requires so many things to be done right and often results in an unstable miner.

You guys should go download simpleminer OS. takes like 15-30 min to get it going. Way easier than mucking around in windows.
    Windows is absolutely fine, in fact i get better hash rates using windows over Smos! never been a fan of Linux at all. If you follow the article already linked in this thread, windows will be better for some, me included.
  • Luck0rLuck0r Member Posts: 32

@Palladan @Wasp0 Guys I'd be careful using Claymore to overclock - I've used it a lot in the past and it often doesnt implement the clock and voltage settings you input. Your'e much better off using the OverdriveNtool

Uninstall MSI Afterburner, Trixx etc. and don't do any settings in Wattman or anywhere else and it will implement all settings every time.

That's at least how it works for me.

When i still had Afterburner it was like you said.

Wasp0 said:

@headshot155 What a damn good read you linked me, got my rate up to 28.4 on the 8gig Asus's, and 26.5 on the 4gig Nitro, bloody brilliant. done all me windows tips and tricks, done the MoBo Bios things, running my frame fans a little higher, changed the Primary display to the on board card.....So much done.

Great article and if any other noobs are reading this scratching their head, then READ THIS NOW..........https://mining.help/2017/12/10/windows-10-mining-guide-for-amd-gpus-12-gpu-supported/

You’re welcome man, glad I could help out