Overclocking RX 580 on Ubuntu 16.04

FromageFromage Member Posts: 5
Hi,

I'am mining ethereum with 6 RX 580, i'm using Ubuntu 16.04 everything work, exept that I want to overclock my cards but that does not work.
Apparently I have to modify core frequency and memory frequency on that file :

/sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_mclk_od -> memory Frequency
/sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od -> Core Frequency

I set value to both of them at 10 but when i launch claymore miner the hashrate doesn't increase at the contrary that decrease to 4.5 mh/s...

Do you know if i proceed in the right way to overclock my GPU ? Has someone has succeed to overclock GPU on Ubutun and can help me ?

Comments

• nobbienobbie Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I posted this in reply to another person having issues...it may help you.

Further the info below, about 2 months ago my RX580's responded well to overclocking, after modding the bios I'd overclock them and the hash rate would increase from 26/27 to 30+ mhs. However now they don't respond at all - even when overclocked the speed doesn't increase.

I suspect its because of the issue below?

Good luck.

----

I may stand to be corrected but as I understand the hash rate for the AMD RX series cards has been decreasing as the DAG file increases. My NVIDA gpus are not affected and still run at 30-31 mhs. My flashed RX580's were getting 30mhs and now I'm lucky if I can hit 27mhs, they are also consuming more power to get there. Running in Windows.

Evidence of RX series cards being tested (including 8gb) with increasing DAG file here:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/ethereum-hashrate-performance-drop-might-coming-amd-nvidia-gpus-tested_195702

Hope that helps.

If I'm not correct, fantastic! I'd love my RX580s to be hashing at 30mhs again :smiley:
  • jangidjangid Member Posts: 1
    I have setup a rig with exactly same GPUs - MSI RX 580 8GB and I am using the same operating system - Ubuntu 16.04. Without any configuration change, the rig is giving 120 MH/s i.e. 20 MH/s per GPU.

I also want to experiment with Modding, Overclocking. I am a command line user. Not even have a display connected to the rig. What is the way out? I just wanted to check if you got any solution?
  • SchließMuskelKaterSchließMuskelKater Member Posts: 12
    @jangid Did you already activate the large page support? First my XFX RX 580 had about 20mhs, after activating large page support (in grub on ubuntu) it had 24-25 mhs and with the factory mining bios (the switch next to the power conector) it has 28.5 mhs.

But i cant get more of the XFX 580 and now im also interestes in how to mod other cards in linux.
  • TheMiningKingTheMiningKing CalgaryMember Posts: 4
    @SchließMuskelKater What does your grub config look like?
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    Here's the info: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-Pro-Beta-Mining-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

Enabling Large Page Support

The syntax of this module parameter is amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=X, where the actual fragment size is 4KB * 2^X. The default is X=4, which means 64KB. To get 2MB fragments, set X=9.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
    a. Edit /etc/default/grub as root and modify GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in order to add "amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9" (without the quotes). The line may look something like this after the change:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9"

b. Update grub and reboot as root
    update-grub;reboot
    edited January 9
    @TheMiningKing

this is my grub-config-file:

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update # /boot/grub/grub.cfg. # For full documentation of the options in this file, see: # info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration' # GRUB_DEFAULT=0 #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true GRUB_TIMEOUT=10 GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian` #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash amdgpu.vm_fragment_size=9" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" # Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...) #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef" # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only) #GRUB_TERMINAL=console # The resolution used on graphical terminal # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo' #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 # Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true # Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true" # Uncomment to get a beep at grub start #GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

But i cant get more of the XFX 580 and now im also interestes in how to mod other cards in linux.

This question is still open.
    In other words: On youtube and other sources, many people are modding their card (BIOS and Clocks and Volts) in windows.
    Am i able to do this in Linux aswell? And how to do this?

@TheMiningKing
    Am i able to do this in Linux aswell? And how to do this?

You can run this on linux with mono
    https://github.com/jaschaknack/PolarisBiosEditor
    Or by manual hex editing.

But you can mod the bios file anywhere, then flash your cards with that file on linux, because atiflash has a linux port.
  • MrJingles46MrJingles46 Member Posts: 2
    To get better performance out of the AMD cards you have to do a bios mod. Changing the values in the miner has almost no impact on the card's performance.

go to the anorak forum, they have tutorials as well as bios mods for RX series cards that you can download and flash.

You need to download ATIFlash, Polaris Bios editor, driver patcher if you plan on running windows and GPU-Z.
    Are also those GPU-Z and Ati-Flash tools availabe for Ubuntu or at least similar working tools?
    Or do i have to install Windows 7 on at least one computer?

Are also those GPU-Z and Ati-Flash tools availabe for Ubuntu or at least similar working tools?

Atiflash is available, gpu-z isn't needed.
    Use the tool, named amdmeminfo, example output:

./amdmeminfo
    AMDMemInfo by Zuikkis
    Updated by Yann St.Arnaud
    -----------------------------------
    Found card: 1002:67df rev e7 (AMD Radeon RX 580)
    Bios Version: 113-3E366DU-S4Y
    PCI: 01:00.0
    OpenCL ID: 0
    Subvendor: 0x1da2
    Subdevice: 0xe366
    Sysfs Path: /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0
    Memory type: SK Hynix H5GQ8H24MJR
  • XcoderXcoder Member Posts: 35
    Core clock rate and voltage can be tuned with ohgodatool when using recent amdgpu-pro driver (e.g. 17.40). I have just modified the straps by VBIOS flashing. The timing and voltage is only tuned using ohgodatool which can be done even while the miner is running.

Cheers, Xcoder
    Xcoder said:

Core clock rate and voltage can be tuned with ohgodatool when using recent amdgpu-pro driver (e.g. 17.40). I have just modified the straps by VBIOS flashing. The timing and voltage is only tuned using ohgodatool which can be done even while the miner is running.

Cheers, Xcoder

This is new for me. Previously i try'd this tool, but nothing changed, also @Wolf0 said somewhere, that the driver shits on the settings, but it's working now?
    Are you confirmed with a voltage meter, that your consumption really decreased after setting lowered voltage with ohgodatool?
    Yes it worked nicely on RX570 cards using ohgodatool --core-vddc-idx 9 --core-vddc-off 0 options. It is measured using a cheap but rather precise power-meter (Brennenstuhl PM 231 E).

I never tried older amdgpu-pro than the current 17.40 since I started rather recently with this topic. Probably the 17.40 driver now uses the pp_table properly.
    Xcoder said:

Yes it worked nicely on RX570 cards using ohgodatool --core-vddc-idx 9 --core-vddc-off 0 options. It is measured using a cheap but rather precise power-meter (Brennenstuhl PM 231 E).

I never tried older amdgpu-pro than the current 17.40 since I started rather recently with this topic. Probably the 17.40 driver now uses the pp_table properly.

This is great news, thanks!
    edited January 11
    OK it seems not to be a real undervolt. If the miner is booted without calling ohgodatool --core-vddc-idx, but just changing clock rates with --core-clock and --mem-clock, then the consumption is ~165 per GPU. If I call --core-vddc-idx for the active core state with any argument, irrelevant which one, then consumption drops to 130W. But there seems to be no further tuning capability...

Something is happening but it is not really a tuning to well define voltage values.
    rmh said:

Atiflash is available, gpu-z isn't needed.
    Use the tool, named amdmeminfo, example output:

./amdmeminfo
    AMDMemInfo by Zuikkis
    Found card: 1002:67df rev e7 (AMD Radeon RX 580)
    Bios Version: 113-3E366DU-S4Y
    OpenCL ID: 0
    Subvendor: 0x1da2
    Subdevice: 0xe366
    Memory type: SK Hynix H5GQ8H24MJR
    For all: how to install amdmeminfo - i had some Problems but finally i was able to manage it:
    1. download https://github.com/ystarnaud/amdmeminfo
    2. follow installation instructions ("Install AMDAPPSDK/OpenCL library (required for OpenCL functions)") can be found here https://developer.amd.com/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/
    3. adjust in Makefile AMDAPPSDK if needed for 64bit-systems AMDAPPSDK_ARCH=x86_64
    4. make
    5. run it width sudo ./amdmeminfo

My output is:

[email protected]:~/Downloads/amdmeminfo-master$ sudo ./amdmeminfo
    [sudo] Passwort ... :
    AMDMemInfo by Zuikkis
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU Failed: Unable to get the number of OpenCL devices.
    Found Card: 1002:67df rev e7 (AMD Radeon RX 580)
    Chip Type: Polaris10
    BIOS Version: 113-58085SHD1-M80
    OpenCL ID: -1
    Subvendor: 0x1682
    Subdevice: 0xc580
    Memory Type: GDDR5
    Memory Model: Samsung K4G80325FB
    Found Card: 1002:67df rev e7 (AMD Radeon RX 580)
    Chip Type: Polaris10
    BIOS Version: 113-58085SHD1-M80
    PCI: 02:00.0
    OpenCL ID: -1
    Subvendor: 0x1682
    Subdevice: 0xc580
    Sysfs Path: /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:02:00.0
    Memory Type: GDDR5
    Memory Model: Samsung K4G80325FB