$40 Fuel pump

CrumbstaCrumbsta Member Posts: 27
$40 fuel pump ~9psi, doing great so far, only 3 running but ~45c, ambient 18c. I have tried washer pumps, bilge pumps, and garden pumps, all have various problems with longevity. This thing should be ably to run continuous on the computer's 12v for a long long time.

Comments

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭
    You just trying to invent a bicycle. :)
    http://www.grundfos.com/products/find-product/ALPHA2.html
    That's what you really need.
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    Jukebox said:

You just trying to invent a bicycle. :)
    http://www.grundfos.com/products/find-product/ALPHA2.html
    That's what you really need.

You gotta admit though...it's pretty cool B)
  • CrumbstaCrumbsta Member Posts: 27
    that thing you linked looks expensive, a website where price is secondary and unknown lol.
    edited November 2017
    ecs87 said:

You gotta admit though...it's pretty cool B)

Oh yea, it's cool until it fails.

I'm just worrying about reliability of fuel pump and lifespan. It's definitely not intended to pump water containing liquids, nominal productivity of fuel pump is some litres per hour - and it not seems enough to run multi-GPU water cooling system.
    Maybe it capable to create enough waterflow for cooling - but it just means that fuel pump works in wrong mode and nobody can predict, how long will it run.
    Crumbsta said:

that thing you linked looks expensive, a website where price is secondary and unknown lol.

Strange question. Six (or seven ?) waterblocks is 100 USD each at least. Each card is 200 USD at least.
    And you saying "looks expensive"?

No price on website? :o
    Show me prices directly on Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Sapphire official sites.
    Grundfos is not a widely known retail trademark for people, the same as Foxconn. Most people do not know, that their iPhone made by Foxconn in fact.

So the only reason I post previous message is to let your system run nice and safe.
    edited November 2017
    Ok man, not trying to be rude! I agree that having a pump fail and burning up cards sucks! I lost 2 cards already with ignorance. I have been paying ~$175 so far to get a card with waterblock included. so yeah trying to save a few bucks anywhere I can. Obviously the goal is to make everything last as long as possible, so really, i appreciate the input. I just felt a little put down eh?
    edited November 2017
    Water cooling can draw out much more heat than air cooling, it also can provide much smaller GPU-external air temp delta.

But one thing that I'm afraid - it's a failure of pump or leakage, when nobody can react and mining rig quickly becomes steam engine.

So if you prefer to run water cooling, try to install some kind of flow controller to switch off whole rig in case of failure.

Read this, for example
    https://diyhacking.com/arduino-flow-rate-sensor/

Also I see that you using "external" cooling, your radiator is outside - so be careful about condensate on your water blocks! It becomes real in case when external air temp (so liquid temp too) much lower than internal.
    I really like the idea of emergency shut-offs, thanks