GPU not recognized when on riser cable - Please help

xxharryxxharry Member Posts: 25
Hello Guys,
I have a Asrock z270pro4 and 5 x Asus strix rx580 8gb. I am having issues getting the GPU's to mine when on riser cables. I have tried a cable that works on another machine to rule out faulty cables. All GPU,s work when mounted on the motherboards pcie slots. with one of the cables, the GPU shows in device manager but when I mine the machine hangs, I checked using GPU-Z that the GPU on riser cable is not getting more than 40 watt. I have double checked all connections and also reset my CMOS multiple times. Each times I change the riser cable or the slot, I reset the CMOS. I have also tried setting the PCIe speed to gen1 and gen2 but no go. Please help me as I have $3K worth of gear sitting, doing nothing.

Thank you so much

Comments

• PlantDrPlantDr Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Are you powering your risers?
  • xxharryxxharry Member Posts: 25
    yes, tried it via the sata to molex connector and also straight molex from the PSU.
    edited June 2017
    Do you have another type of graphics card to check with the risers on that motherboard? I also have an asus strix 8G but worked fine on my asus z270-A with 4G encoding enabled and slots set to gen2

Idk if you are doing this, but maybe try plugging a monitor into one of the gpu while you try to mine with it
    edited June 2017
    I have checked with another GPU with the same riser but on a different motherboard. Also I do have the monitor connected to one of the GPU while it is on the motherboard and second one is on riser cable. The GPU on the riser cable does not even turn its LED's on and the one on the motherboard mine's and displays fine
    Have you tried attaching the monitor to the one that is using the riser and not the one that is plugged into the motherboard?

Again everything is still being powered by the PSU? The risers and the cards. This situation is strange
    I have tried attaching to monitor to the GPU on the riser but there is no display. and yes everything is being powered by the PSU. The GPU on the riser does not even have the LED lights on.
    I'm honestly not sure then. If you have ruled out faulty risers, and the risers and cards are powered, and you have ruled out a faulty mobo as the cards work when they are plugged into the mobo directly, and have tried different PCIE speeds (gen1 &2). Not sure what else there is. USB cables of risers? Did you update the BIOS for the mobo?
    I will try the BIOS update and report back
  • cira529cira529 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I have same problem with Asrock H81 Pro BTC r2.0 and Asus Strix RX580 GPUs (TOP and OC). When on motherboard slot directly, everything works fine but on riser is not recognized (in Device Manager and ATIFLASH). Did you solve the problem?
  • xxzhngxxzhng Member Posts: 8
    Hello. If the cards are not defective then the problem lies with your riser. Most likely you purchased some faulty risers or low quality ones (green ones). Next time purchase risers that can be power by a 6 pin pci-e slot.