AMD Driver 17.10.2 on Windows

lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
Anyone tried this driver as this supports over 8 GPU's and may contain the DAG fix.

Anyone tried yet as I was going to try tonight ?

Comments

• karl_den_12karl_den_12 Member Posts: 27
    Supports only 1 gpu, code 43 on others.
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Supports only 1 gpu, code 43 on others.

use atikmdag-patcher to fix this
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    I can guess both the code 43 errors are on 480's ?
    Hi Everyone - This driver seem very buggy as it failed to install on two machines. Screen went black with just mouse pointer. Maybe it's my setup but just be careful and test first!
    OK - So even though machine just hanged I rebooted and the driver was installed. There is now an option to change the GPU workload to 'ompute' aka mining and you get the DAG fix/full hash rate. Just worried about install process needs to tuning for miners!!!!!!! come on AMD where is your QA!!!

Also I have a PC with a 580 and 480 and now the DAG fix is not being supplied.

Based on the driver configuration setting, which I am grateful for, you have to run a card in mining mode or gaming mode. I am going to try on my 8 card rig!
  • erstwealerstweal MidwestMember Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Where is the setting to use compute? There are a whole bunch of settings, but I don't see that one. Anyone able to tell us what settings we should use to maximize hash? I had the beta version in and got a nice, boost, but now I dropped 2 mh per card, so it's obviously gone back to game mode.
    Right click on desktop -> AMD Radeon Settings -> Gaming -> Global Settings -> Global Graphics

I don't have time tonight to test on rig but I think AMD, hint!!!, need to do some more work ;-)
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    Has anyone used this successfully? After installing this update, i can't adjust the voltage and memory clock. Very annoying.
    @lablett Yes, I did all that, but at Global Graphics, there anti-aliasing, tesselation mode, none of which say anything about a compute mode. I'm just trying to figure out which, if any of these settings benefit mining, and how we get to the compute mode. If I figure it out though, I'll post it here.
  • kentankentan Member Posts: 85
    From support notes :

Known Issues
    A random system hang may be experienced after extended periods of use on system configurations using 12 GPU's for compute workloads.
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    nice thx for the heads up gonna play around with it now
  • karl_den_12karl_den_12 Member Posts: 27
    I went back to old driver, works at once.
    OK, I did a clean install of 17.10.2 and now everything works. The compute tab is available. Yay! I haven't tried adding a 6th card yet. In the past, I have only been able to run 5 cards on my windows 10 box.
  • greatauror28greatauror28 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    erstweal said:

OK, I did a clean install of 17.10.2 and now everything works. The compute tab is available. Yay! I haven't tried adding a 6th card yet. In the past, I have only been able to run 5 cards on my windows 10 box.

Normal win10 amd drivers will work up to 8 cards. There would be no sense in using this driver for cards less than 8.

It’s not worth the trouble updating from the one you currently use right now e.g. blockchain driver.

erstweal said:

Normal win10 amd drivers will work up to 8 cards. There would be no sense in using this driver for cards less than 8.

It’s not worth the trouble updating from the one you currently use right now e.g. blockchain driver.

Well, it's at least a supported driver instead of a beta. Anyway, I had heard that people had trouble with more than 5 cards on Windows 10 in the past, and I also had trouble adding my sixth card, so I've left it off. I'll add it back again today and see if the driver makes a difference.