12x ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme Mining System + GPU tweaks

ctp9ctp9 Member Posts: 10
Hi guys,

I'm a computer technician who is new to mining, however - I just built a 12x GPU system (this is what I'm good at). The hardware was funded by my work partner, who rushed me into doing this... and as a result we ended up purchasing ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme cards (Radeons and GTX 1070 were sold out from literally every store we inquired with).

I'd like to ask for advice on how I can increase the hashrates on the GTX 1080... because right now - I'm getting 23 MH/s (which is exactly what these card are supposed to push right out of the box).

It's a little discouraging, to say the least... that such power hungry, bank breaking GPUs are performing so poorly.

My system specs:

ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme [GPU]
Biostar TB250-BTC PRO Ver. 6.x [motherboard]
Intel Celeron G3930 2.90GHz 2MB LGA1151 Kaby Lake [CPU]
Crucial 4GB DDR4 2133 Unbuffered Memory [RAM]
Intel SSD DC S3520 Series (150GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s) [SSD]
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2 ATX 80 PLUS GOLD [PSU]
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G3 ATX 80 PLUS GOLD [PSU]
Windows 10 Pro

My page file is set to Custom Size 16GB. The operating system is bare bones and I haven't overclocked the cards (mind you, this system is generating so much HEAT... that I was reluctant to try to overclock it).

Is MSI Afterburner the preferred solution for improving performance?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    not really much you can do. Try pushing some memory clocks, and push the power limit back to reduce the voltage. Otherwise, you're stuck with that hashrate. The Ethash algorithm does not run well over GDDR5X latency characteristics. GDDR5 is much better for that purpose. You should try Zcash on those cards, it might be more profitable.
  • ctp9ctp9 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for the reply. I educated myself on MSI Afterburner, and have successfully boosted my average hashrates on all cards while lowering their power consumption.

Now, here's a question on investing - shouldn't it make sense to mine Ethereum over Zcash, since Ethereum's value is projected to rise significantly in the next year or so? Or is this all purely speculative in nature... and I am indeed more profitable with Zcash (even if it isn't ever going to reach a high price)?
  • jetpackjetpack Member Posts: 88
    Like he said the GDDR5X memory is known to not work great with ETH. The right 1060 does 23mhs on ETH. You just mine whatever you think will go up in the future.
  • PMmeyourBTCPMmeyourBTC UK BristolMember Posts: 50
    No harm in mining whatever brings best profit and trading for whatever coin you want. Still money made speculating Dogecoin.

1080 are holding value, you might be better off cutting losses and buying another card. I did this with 2 1080's. I bought 2 1060 for the same price including eBay fees and getting 19mhs from each.
    An update for you guys:

I bumped the hashrate from 23 MH/s to 27 MH/s (per card) using MSI Afterburner. I do sense the difficulty as of lately, so I'm not overly mad at the performance I'm getting...

Aside from DDR5x being unoptimized, another big factor to squeezing performance out of your 1080s... is to lower the overall temperature in your mining room. I found ways to dissipate and eliminate heat, and my 1080s instantly started performing better (they can finally 'breathe').
  • mikeomikeo Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    To control temps on my 1080 I reduce core clock with Afterburner as much as -400 and undervolt to 0.965v. This reduces hashrate very minimally, then I the overclock memory by +966. This gets me 26MH/s but with 60C temps, fans at 60%. Totally stable.
  • ciprianptciprianpt Member Posts: 219 ✭✭
    your rigs looks great :) well done..

What you can do to increase hashrate, lower power consumption and heat is to increase memory clock to +700 (more or less depends if memory is samsung can go higher, if micron +650), lower Power Limit to 70%, sometimes i go down to 65% but the best spot was between 70% and 75%, as for the core clock you can leave it on default or lower it to -200,-400..

you can find more detailed benchmarks here http://1stminingrig.com/nvidia-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1070-g1-gaming-mining-rig-tutorial/

• KlintistwoodKlintistwood Member Posts: 142
    Do you know if you have Samsung memory? 1080 doesn't have a good hash rate for ETH and with Hynix it's worse. Best deal is GTX 1060 with Samsung memory, with mines I get up to 24MH/s and cards are around 200$
  • wxxyzwxxyz Member Posts: 3
    ctp9 said:

An update for you guys:

I bumped the hashrate from 23 MH/s to 27 MH/s (per card) using MSI Afterburner. I do sense the difficulty as of lately, so I'm not overly mad at the performance I'm getting...

Aside from DDR5x being unoptimized, another big factor to squeezing performance out of your 1080s... is to lower the overall temperature in your mining room. I found ways to dissipate and eliminate heat, and my 1080s instantly started performing better (they can finally 'breathe').

Stop being so secretive :) Can you please tell us what your overclock settings are, as well as your heat-removal trick?

• amkoamko Member Posts: 17
    ctp9 said:

An update for you guys:

27 mh/s with a 1080 is nice. I only tried a 1080 once for ETH (GB Xtreme) and got only 25.5 mh/s.

You would be much better of mining zcash with a 1080 --> They are really nice for it with 520-570 sol/s per Card.

How did you eliminate heat?
    Sorry for a late response. I tweaked my cards for ETH mining with the following settings:

Power Limit
    75%

Core Clock

Memory Clock
    +188

Keep in mind that my Win10 is extremely bare bones (no wallpaper, no unnecessary services, no metro apps, no other software, nothing that consumes memory of any sort)

My page file is set at 24 GB (24576 MB)

I'm getting stable 26.7 MH/s with GTX 1080 now (stock is 23 MH/s).
    I removed heat by using intake and blower fans - intake cold air from the window, blow the heat out of the room.
    ctp9 said:

Sorry for a late response. I tweaked my cards for ETH mining with the following settings:

Power Limit
    75%

Core Clock

Memory Clock
    +188

Keep in mind that my Win10 is extremely bare bones (no wallpaper, no unnecessary services, no metro apps, no other software, nothing that consumes memory of any sort)

My page file is set at 24 GB (24576 MB)

I'm getting stable 26.7 MH/s with GTX 1080 now (stock is 23 MH/s).

Awesome thanks, I've added it to my comparison: https://www.pyramidreviews.com/cryptocorner/mining-gpu-speed-and-price-comparison/gtx-1080-hashrate-vs-price-comparison-chart/
    amko said:

27 mh/s with a 1080 is nice. I only tried a 1080 once for ETH (GB Xtreme) and got only 25.5 mh/s.

You would be much better of mining zcash with a 1080 --> They are really nice for it with 520-570 sol/s per Card.

How did you eliminate heat?

According to WhatToMine.com, currently (not counting power usage), ZCash is $1.88 per day, and Ethereum is $1.17 per day, so yes it is more 'worthwhile'. On 12 GPUs, the potential increase is $8.52 more profit per day.

However, if you plan to hold ETH and only have a few GPUs, then don't worry that the price is a little low right now, and skip the complexity of transferring ZCash to ETH.