Vega Performance

Comments

• mjbeebeemjbeebee Member Posts: 20
    Those graphs are a thing of beauty :blush:

I can' believe you got those kind of figures with the VEGA 56. I had 2 Air Cooled Vega 64 but I'm lucky to get 39MH/s at -10% power reduction.

Would you mind sharing a bit more about your setup and how you got the settings on WattMan?

I'm using the blockchain drivers on a pretty up to date Win 10 install, I also put up the virtual mem space to 16GB but on claymore and ethminer I can't get over that magic 40/mhs figure without the fans screaming and a +10-20% power limit which means they run super hot.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I got 38.5MH at 140w on my RX Vega 64
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk London, UKMember Posts: 8
    mjbeebee said:

I can' believe you got those kind of figures with the VEGA 56. I had 2 Air Cooled Vega 64 but I'm lucky to get 39MH/s at -10% power reduction.

Would you mind sharing a bit more about your setup and how you got the settings on WattMan?

I'm using the blockchain drivers on a pretty up to date Win 10 install, I also put up the virtual mem space to 16GB but on claymore and ethminer I can't get over that magic 40/mhs figure without the fans screaming and a +10-20% power limit which means they run super hot.

Well - I just changed my memory from the default 800MHz to 950MHz, set my power limit to -15%, increased my fan baseline to about 2000rpm and that's it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've flashed 1 of my 4 cards to the Vega 64 bios, however that just hasn't had the effect I was hoping for. Whilst it let me increase my memory clock (presumably because the 64 bios increases the memory voltage slightly), the increase only gave marginal increases in hashing rate but required a substantial amount of extra power to maintain.

I've therefore rolled that back, at least for now.

I've just started testing some dual mining ETH + DCR. I'm at around 38Mh for ETH & 1850Mh for DCR. I have had to increase my power limit to +10%.
  • matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23
    @digitalhawk, many thanks man for sharing your settings.
    I've managed to have 39 mh/s with your settings. It's works amazing.
    But, there are 2 things which I don't like:
    1. cooler is around 2.000 rpm, which seems quite high compared with my other gpus(nvidia)
    2. Wattman! what a piece of sh*t. With last msi Afterburner, beta 16, I'am able to see the vega 56 on it but cannot do much.
  • NussbaumNussbaum Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    has someone already tried the new AMD drivers?
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 195 ✭✭
    Nussbaum said:

Hi,

Source pls
    Nussbaum said:

Hi,

Driver: 17.9.2

56: 1302MHz/945Mhz/+0%
    56 flashed to 64: 1302MHz/1090MHz/+10%

Fans at 3000rpm+

ETH only

56 = 35.2MH @ 155W
    64 = 37.6MH @ 165W

ETH + DCR (50% intensity)

56 = 34.9MH + 1740MH @ 210W
    64 = 36.3MH + 1815MH @ 210W

Nussbaum said:

Hi,

Driver: 17.9.2

56: 1302MHz/945Mhz/+0%
    56 flashed to 64: 1302MHz/1090MHz/+10%

Fans at 3000rpm+

ETH only

56 = 35.2MH @ 155W
    64 = 37.6MH @ 165W

ETH + DCR (50% intensity)

56 = 34.9MH + 1740MH @ 210W
    64 = 36.3MH + 1815MH @ 210W
    In an earlier post using the blockchain driver, I found that my 56 with 64 bios was very power hungry, making it far less profitable than stock 56.

My 56 performance and profitability drop off somewhat using either 17.9.1 or 17.9.2 when compared to blockchain, however the 64 bios is far better behaved, in fact it seems to be marginally more profitable.
  • matriceamatricea Member Posts: 23

I got 38.5MH at 140w on my RX Vega 64

Can you share your settings?
    Also, which model?
  • rovdirovdi Member Posts: 5
    the best result that i have managet to get is 38.5 mh/s at 112W.. Using MSI RX Vega 64 (samsung)..
    I also managet to get about 44.3 mh/s but power was to high....
  • MiniotaurMiniotaur Member Posts: 12

This is what I'm getting from my 2xVega 64 rig (closed case).
    Core at 902mhz
    Memory at 1025mhz
    Voltages default
    Fan auto, target 67 degrees
    Power setting default (0%)

Power draw from the wall: 608W for the full rig

Rig specs:
    CPU: Pentium G4400(skylake)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
    RAM: 4GB Hyperx DDR4
    Storage: 320gb WD Blue HDD
    PSU: Leadex Superflower 850W (80 gold rating)

I'm a beginner so any tip for what I should/shouldn't do are welcome. Feel free to criticise or discuss.

I'm mining at Nanopool with Claymore v10 and it's running very smooth but I don't know if they can live more then a year mining like that... I am worrying too much?
  • GoldenbunipGoldenbunip Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2017
    Thought I would update my results now I'm on Water.

44.2Mhash. rock steady all day long.

Set up is:
    Powercolour Vega 64 now with a EK Water block, twin rad with Artic F9 fans (~1200rpm), EK Res, and small pump all in a closed loop. SOOO much quieter.

Mem 1100 (this is all I need to hit 44M, everything else is just power saving)

Core -30% (need to set this lower as it's not affecting the hash yet)
    cVolt 1050
    Claymore v10
    Win 10 pro - stripped out of everything not needed.
    Blockchain drivers
    Temp 55°C max.

Critical is keeping your temps below 65°C, after this, I see degradation in performance.

Duel mining is not stable on Nicehash software yet, I suspect the intensity is too high. Dot matter as it drops the ETH to below 38Mhas so not economical.
    mjbeebee said:

Shove your power limit to +50% for starters, come back to this last to see how efficient you can go.
    Next up, set the target temp to 65C. The target fan to max, min fan up to about half way. Got to keep it cool.
    Core to -30% - That's right underclock it to the max, ideally, you want to be about 1100mhz on the core, but whatever you get depends upon starting clock of your card.

Thats the base.
    Now How high can your memory go? I can get to 1105 and Not a mhz more. 1100 is the best results and seems about the limit for HBM. HOWEVER, if your card gets hotter than about 70C hash rate if severely affected.
    Get your memeory to 1100 and you will have a hash rate of 44+ ETH on Claymore 10.

Now once that's stable start lowering the power until it drops the hash rate.

Keep it cool.
    cheers for that, I'll try it out.

I take it everyones experience is using that atrocious wattman tool in windoze and nothing via linux yet?
    Anyone found any difference when changing voltages for Vega 64?
    I seem to see no difference in temps at all (using wattmann)
    i find it changes things once or twice, then I get no noticeable changes other times, its very buggy.

I found it worked sometimes when I was running ethminer/claymore, then I would shut down the miner software and then try it again and it would work/not work. You find a set of changes/methods to get it to enact the overclock settings then try again and again.

Sorry thats not a great help but its just a total bag of spanners the whole wattman thing. It's even weirder using the blockchain version than the general release drivers version. Good luck and be prepared to restart windows more times than you thought possible.
    Miniotaur said:

Anyone found any difference when changing voltages for Vega 64?
    I seem to see no difference in temps at all (using wattmann)

I've just left the voltage on Auto as its underclocked down to -30%. The result is 125W core on HWinfo. Once I can get a version of Afterburner working with the blockchain drivers on windows I will try and lower it further.
  • rovdirovdi Member Posts: 5
    here is results from vega 64 (msi)
    edited October 2017
    Update on my rigs:
    3 double Vega 64 closed rigs running on 23rd August Blockchain driver.
    Every GPU gets exactly 41.5Mh/s.
    Temperature has to stay under 68 degrees or GPU starts throttling itself.
    Even when core is set to the lowest setting it still jumps up to 1400mhz sometimes. I don't know the reason but it seems to make no difference.

Wattman settings:
    -902Mhz Core
    -1025Mhz Memory
    -Target temp set to 67 degrees
    -Fans 2000-4900 (depending on ambient temperature and cold air intake
    -Voltage default, changes doesn't work on this driver

• lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    I like approach to cooling. I'm still not convinced on the Vega and hence I have ordered 5 more 580's. When are we going to see vendor after market cooling ? I think this provide the additional cooling required to get 50mhs.
    Update on the cooling setup: straightened pipes and added dust filters. All GPU fans running at 79% now, temps steady at 66-67 degrees.
    If we could only play with voltages...

lablett said:

I like approach to cooling. I'm still not convinced on the Vega and hence I have ordered 5 more 580's. When are we going to see vendor after market cooling ? I think this provide the additional cooling required to get 50mhs.

Vendors here in AU are not stocking many more Vega56 reference designs as they are awaiting the 3rd Party models coming in start of November, so not soon. I would check VideoCardz.com for the latest gossip on when they are coming globally.

@Miniotaur, that cooling system looks fun. Have any of your neighbours raised concerns you have a Breaking Bad-esque Meth Lab going on up there? ;) Three Big Vents coming out of a bedroom window and high energy usage are a sure sign somethings going on. Happy Mining!
    I take it everyone here is aware of this Dude's experiments and use of the SoftPowerPlayTable hack/mod?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AXMbVfqsVi4
    edited October 2017
    mjbeebee said:

lablett said:

Vendors here in AU are not stocking many more Vega56 reference designs as they are awaiting the 3rd Party models coming in start of November, so not soon. I would check VideoCardz.com for the latest gossip on when they are coming globally.

@Miniotaur, that cooling system looks fun. Have any of your neighbours raised concerns you have a Breaking Bad-esque Meth Lab going on up there? ;) Three Big Vents coming out of a bedroom window and high energy usage are a sure sign somethings going on. Happy Mining!
    I was awaiting a comment like this one :-D
    Still awaiting a visit from a neighbourhood watch :-P
    Post edited by Miniotaur on
    mjbeebee said:

I take it everyone here is aware of this Dude's experiments and use of the SoftPowerPlayTable hack/mod?

I wasn't!
    I will give it a shot tonight and come back with results if I have enough time.

Cheers
    edited October 2017
    Miniotaur said:

mjbeebee said:

I wasn't!
    I will give it a shot tonight and come back with results if I have enough time.

Cheers
    As promissed I've checked this youtube video and used his reg files together with OverdriveNTool and I confirm, Vega 64 voltages CAN be changed.

First observation I've made is everything runs cooler, every GPU pulls 44Mh/s instead of 41.5Mh/s.
    Stability? We will see over time.
    And power draw from the wall... All 3 rigs were pulling 1800W, after this they pull 1200W. (put WOW! here)
    I really hope it's going to be stable.

Smaller pics for phone users:

Miniotaur said:

As promissed I've checked this youtube video and used his reg files together with OverdriveNTool and I confirm, Vega 64 voltages CAN be changed.

First observation I've made is everything runs cooler, every GPU pulls 44Mh/s instead of 41.5Mh/s.
    Stability? We will see over time.
    And power draw from the wall... All 3 rigs were pulling 1800W, after this they pull 1200W. (put WOW! here)
    I really hope it's going to be stable.

Your Welcome...

One thing that is interesting when I use his part 2 mod and take it down to 825 for mem and 850 for CPU on the highest P states the Mem Voltage stays at 1.36V when I look at it in HWINFO 64 which shows a LOT more data on sensors than GPU-Z.

It's also a good idea to use the DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) on the system before starting so you clean up all the cards and get the numbering correct.

So my question is, has anyone managed to get the Mem Clock/Voltages lower or to the stated values in the overdrive/softpowerplay table?

I'm getting about 200-220w draw per card for 41MH/s with this mod but I'd like to see how if its possible to drop the mem voltage more.
  • NussbaumNussbaum Member Posts: 6
    @mjbeebee getting about 44 MH/s with 200-220W per card with the applied settings of the video. I tried to modify the p7 to 902hz with 875 mv.

But I have a question has someone tested optimal settings for equihash? And what are your results?