Lightweight Ethereum client in native mobile app?

Will native mobile apps be supported in the Frontier release?

I am aware that the requirements of mobile apps are being taken into account, just not sure what the latest story is and what will be possible initially.

If I were to start incorporating an Ethereum client in a native app (iOS or Android) today, where should I start?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    Hi @Ben97, I'm afraid they will not be supported. Your best bet would be a to build a webapp with a responsive layout and embed that as part of the app. The webapp would then interact with Ethereum via a JSON RPC gateway.
  • Ben97Ben97 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the answer!
    Not supported in Frontier, or not at all? I don't see it mentioned in the blog posts about the launch process.
    Do you know where can I read more about this?
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    Hi @Ben97, at this point we are very much focused on the Frontier release (as specced in the aforementioned blog posts). Moving forward, this is certainly something we'll be looking at as it's very important to user adoption.

I believe IBM has an Android client forked from the ethereumj repo (as apart of project Adept) that may or may not have been "light" that they promised would be released as open source on Github.

No word on that yet unfortunately...

For now, @StephanTual 's suggested implementation is definitely the best way go :)
  • dirkjaeckeldirkjaeckel BerlinMember Posts: 6
    What about compiling geth for android and use gobind (https://github.com/golang/mobile) to connect it to a Java based Android application? Would it be feasible to implement a simple wallet with that? This wallet should allow to show the balance and transfer ether.