ARE THERE ANY OTHER ASPIRING SOLIDITY PROGRAMMERS OUT THERE?

brdtrppbrdtrpp Member Posts: 1
I’ve noticed a few posts about finding materials on how to learn to write smart contracts. I relate to a lot of these situations as I was in the exact situation. I found it hard to find a good collection of resources for an aspiring ethereum developer. I know there are the docs, but I found the lack of courses or well-presented materials dishearting.

I’m curious am I the only one or are there others like me?

Are you an Aspiring Solidity Programmer? If you are, please comment. What was your first project and what tools did you use?

Comments

• coochiepowercoochiepower Member Posts: 4
    If you know someone looking for Ethereum Solidity experience, we're looking for teammates.

We're building a blockchain with multi signature options platform on the Ethereum blockchain with Solidity by a small team with 2-3 backend developers, one web developer.

We’re utilizing the blockchain for life & death matters. Video conference call tomorrow Saturday July 29th @9am to discuss the project.

Please let me know if you're interested in conference call information.

Thanks for your time.
  • cvethmooncvethmoon Member Posts: 24
    I started out as an investor, miner, now I want the trifecta, and I am working on becoming a developer as well. I want to be familiar and proficient in Solidity by this time next year. Consensys 10 weeks course will be on my radar for sure! There are many books out there too that have recently sprang up. The Official docs are out there too. I honestly don't feel you have to push yourself to find the materials, they are out there. You just have to be motivated to find them, DIGEST them, LEARN them, UNDERSTAND them. They may not be holding your hand when it comes to teaching, you need to add more effort and time on your part in order to grasp this and ask questions to the experienced programmers.

Looking forward to learning Solidity.
  • newyorkcitybitcoinnewyorkcitybitcoin Member Posts: 1
    I feel the pain of everyone else out there. I also find it helpful to do a search on YouTube. There are a lot of helpful people out there who like to post for others mistakes they made and how to correct them. I'm like some of the other people on here who was introduced to HTML and CSS coding and jumped on the blockchain technology bandwagon coming in first as an investor, and now a developer. I have done a few web applications but the dApp is a totally new beast for me. I just wanted to thank everyone for posting, because it's good to know there is a slight learning curve here with the solidity programming language.
  • blockemyblockemy Member Posts: 2
    BlockEmy's sole objective is to spread Blockchain development knowledge. We have been helping aspiring Blockchain developers across the world by training them via online instructor led courses on Solidity. You may want to check out https://blockemy.com
  • eigenjoyeigenjoy Member Posts: 1
    @brdtrpp - I've put together a free introductory course + code on how to build Solidity Dapps here: https://www.newline.co/courses/ -- In the course you'll learn how to setup geth, write smart contracts, and build a UI in JavaScript in the browser.

I've also got a second (paid) course where we walk through building a Million Ether Homepage. There we walk through how to build the smart contracts for bidding on pixels, potential pitfalls, and how to build the UI.
  • MatthewCampbellMatthewCampbell Member Posts: 4
    brdtrpp said:

I’ve noticed a few posts about finding materials on how to learn to write smart contracts. I relate to a lot of these situations as I was in the exact situation. I found it hard to find a good collection of resources for an aspiring ethereum developer. I know there are the docs, but I found the lack of courses or well-presented materials dishearting.

I’m curious am I the only one or are there others like me?

Are you an Aspiring Solidity Programmer? If you are, please comment. What was your first project and what tools did you use?

Starting with Truffle framework and using their blog examples, helped me a lot. Check out this
    http://truffleframework.com/blog/learn-ethereum-the-fun-way-with-our-pet-shop-tutorial
  • JanBJanB Member Posts: 1
    Indeed but days and weeks of search will yield some usefull info. And you will run into the sh*t of npm rights on linux, having disks running full of blockchain data, ropsten not responding, solc giving sh*t and so on. Having said that, I work on improving the Ethereum developer course of Diginomcs and I am currently working on an Ethereum developer course for software engineers and architects. So there are places of light in the dark ;-)

In my opinion writing smart contracts and Dapps needs another mindset from traditional coding paradigms. Just like we shifted from c to c++, went from dbase3 likes to relational database management systems, from monolith programs to multi-tier design and from bare metal to microservices.

Different technology = different approach = new ways of doing things.

Happy to help out.
    JB
  • ethernlpethernlp Member Posts: 1

@brdtrpp, I'm an active Solidity developer and have been here during its early development and so have a historical knowledge and experience with all it's nuances.

Is there a particular debugger or debugging environment that is best for Solidity development?

• o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    I just develop on Remix with the tool-chain being, Git, Sublime Text, Geth (for private and test chains with some custom scripts), remixd, remix. Use to use TestRPC but found over time it had significant problems.
    Debugging is still clunky but much better than it use to be. The Javascript VM is ok for prototyping but has significant behavioural differences to a real EVM.

Careful with remixd. It autosaves every few seconds and can get out of sync with the Remix tabs and end up wiping your code completely and saving 'undefined' to the file. Always close remixd before the remix code tab at the end of work cycle