Setting up 4 rigs in India @ $15.5k with RX480!!!

hp011235hp011235 Member Posts: 10
Hi,

I am setting up 4 rigs with the following configuration:

GPU:
Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ Rx480 8GB OC

Motherboard:
Biostar Motherboard TB250-BTC

CPU:
Intel Pentium G4400 Processor 1151 Socket

PSU (Power Supply):
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300w 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

RAM:
2 x Kingston HyperX FURY Black 4GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM

SSD:
Kingston A400 120GB SATA III SSD

USB Risers:
GPU Powered Riser Adapter VER 006 [with power connector] 1x to 16x
(PCI-E Express 1x to 16x Extender Riser Card Adapter Power cable)

Each setup costs me around @ $3.6k including the GPU around $470 each. I am planning to build 4 of them. I know it's very costly, but here in India, there is a lot of import duty on computer peripherals.

Few questions here:
  • Is it really worth to spend this much money on mining? I am looking towards mining Etheruem primarily.
  • Definitely I am looking forward to getting all my investment back before Ethereum goes PoS. I assume 4 to 5 months should be good enough to get my investment back looking at the current difficulty rate.
  • The major concern I have is will this SSD work with this motherboard? I see that TB250 supports M2 SSD. Which specific SSD should I buy? What is the difference between M2 and SATA III SSD? I know even USBs work, however, I am looking towards managing my setup remotely.
  • How about the RAM, just want to confirm if it will work or not?
  • Here in India, USB risers are not very common. However, I have seen people reporting cheap USB risers burning due to excess heat. What should I take care while buying risers? Should it be with the power cable? What does 1x to 16x means?
  • Any other recommendations I should take care of based on your experience?
Looking forward to your kind help!
Thank you very much in advance!
-Hetal

Comments

• shubham7392shubham7392 Member Posts: 31
    you have the cards ? or
    you are thiking to buy one ?
  • PalladanPalladan Member Posts: 24
    Hey, Will try to help... RX480's are rare now and overpriced purely because they are so good. A little tip is the RX570 should give the same hashrate, maybe a lil more power, but cost a good chunk less. (ebuyer has the sapphires at £209 on Pre-Order for 31/08/17 here in the UK, 480's are going for £275-300 on Ebay and that's one at a time, rather than the quantity you need. Local markets may differ)

Is it really worth to spend this much money on mining? I am looking towards mining Etheruem primarily. Don't think about Etheruem.
    Think about GPU mining. The currency could change to the most profitable one at any time really.

Definitely I am looking forward to getting all my investment back before Ethereum goes PoS. I assume 4 to 5 months should be good enough to get my investment back looking at the current difficulty rate.
    The smart tactic is to save. Not look at taking out. If you want to recover costs you're prob looking at 8-10months with the increase of difficulty and price fluctuations. Still, you could view it as cash out then to pay for the hardware then the rest is all profit not matter the currency.

The major concern I have is will this SSD work with this motherboard? I see that TB250 supports M2 SSD. Which specific SSD should I buy? What is the difference between M2 and SATA III SSD?
    I know even USBs work, however, I am looking towards managing my setup remotely.
    There is no SSD compatibility issue there. And absolutely no need for an M.2 drive. a nice SSD is more than sufficient. You only need to consider OS. (Win 10 v Linux)

How about the RAM, just want to confirm if it will work or not?
    Again, this is more dependent on OS than mining as it will all be pushed to the GPU's. However I go for 8GB as I just feel better about it.

Here in India, USB risers are not very common. However, I have seen people reporting cheap USB risers burning due to excess heat. What should I take care while buying risers? Should it be with the power cable? What does 1x to 16x means?
    Cheap USB Risers burning out are more to do with grounding in the card itself rather than ambient temps. You'd do well to cool the rigs, Specifically the GPUs (obv.) but that should be all. And 1x to 16x is the PCIxE connection. On your Mobo you'll have some longer x16 slots and some x1 slots. To get the full 6/7/8 GPU's you need to covert these x1's to x16's which is done by the riser. Don't skimp here. You're looking at around £5/6 each at the low end.

Any other recommendations I should take care of based on your experience?
    Only to really have a good think before investment. Maybe even a small test rig with the CPU/GPU/MOBO and running for a week to get familiar with how it works, test components and overclocking. Look at is an investment rather than a wage and you should be fine.

And always keep an eye on the market/forums. See which way the wind is blowing and try to keep up. It's not just a fire and forget and take the money. There's still a lot of monitoring and maintenance to consider.

And consider taking the same money and just buying the Ether/Zcash/Bitcoin and playing the market.
  • shcryptominingshcryptomining Member Posts: 9
    I have 2 suggestions

1st Instead of EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300w you can go with 2 750w which will save your money 2nd its better to go with Nvidia 1070

• BlockerBBlockerB Member Posts: 16
    You will not break even in 4-5 month's
  • ResonanceResonance Member Posts: 57
    This will not be a good investment. If you think you'll get your money back in 4-5 months, you haven't even done a basic assessment of revenue relative to costs at current levels much less the escalating difficulty. 4 rigs producing a total of 660 MH/s only yield about 6 ETH per month at current difficulty. That's only $1,200 @ $200 ETH and $0.00 for electricity. ETH produced diminishes almost daily because of ETH difficulty. I think ETH mining will be over for most of us by mid October.

Some people that don't understand math or finance think it will magically still be worth it if ETH continues to go up. If ETH goes up like they think, they would make more money buying ETH instead of mining it. That's indisputable. However, people are drawn to the idea of "making their own money" in a sense. That's understandable, but the days of ETH mining are drawing to a close quickly.