My mining rig for 2017, is it profitable for the next 12months

2»

Comments

• RouvioRouvio Member Posts: 16
    What an awesome discussion.
    I enjoy reading every word of you folks.

Its for threads like this that i joined this community. Keep the good, civilized and mutual respect flowing. Thank you!
  • kentankentan Member Posts: 85
    edited July 2017
    @PlantDr

Where in my post did I say that Mikeo was going for profitability? All I asked was whether he would have made more profits if he had invested the cost in bitcoins? In the context of this thread, wouldn't that be a valid question?
  • PlantDrPlantDr Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    In the context of the thread it is a valid question, but should have been posed/directed to the creator of the thread, as a for example if Mike did this he might have made more. But asking about profitability directed to mikeo who initially started mining as a hobby doesn't fit/make sense, as he was doing it as a hobby and did not care about the profitability.
    edited July 2017
    Firstly, how would the creator know since he has just started mining and will not have empirical data to show to readers? In fact, his thread was created to ask specifically the profit question. Now, you are asking me to pose the profit question back to him?

In mikeo's case, he was doing it for 2 years. He has the benefit of hindsight for readers here to make an informed decision. For anyone reading this thread, wouldn't it be pertinent for them to know if mikeo could have made more profit from an alternative choice notwithstanding that he was doing it for a hobby?
    You make it sound like you were doing it for the creators benefit (which you may have), but you posed the question "Now the really question you should ask yourself". Which directs the question onto Mikeo and makes him wonder/2nd guessing if he made the right choice to mining or whether he should just have invested. But he already mentioned it was a hobby, so if you were trying to enlightened the creator with empirical evidence that only Mikeo would know, then I just feel that the question should have been worded differently, as to not try and make Mikeo feel that he might have made a poor judgement.

Such a question could be like, "While your intention was a hobby, with your experience do you think that an individual could have made more if they just invested in bitcoin at $10USD or if they tried to dedictate themselves/time to mining during the same time frame?"
    My apologies to Mikeo then if the question caused any distress or had any negative implications. And also to PlantDr who seems to be quite worked up over it. It was not my intention.

@mikeo,

It would greatly help the readers of this thread and I am also curious if you could shed some light on the question below which PlantDr has so succintly put (I am just regurgitating -so please do not fault me for any grammatical or spelling errors):

Question
    "While your intention was a hobby, with your experience do you think that an individual could have made more if they just invested in bitcoin at $10USD or if they tried to dedictate themselves/time to mining during the same time frame?"
    The civilized debates and mutual respect do make for a nice community. @mikeo I am also very curious about this question. Although the situations are similar they are still quite different, but it's a topic that is just thrown around a lot and there are not many people shedding light on the matter.

@Rouvio can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but glad you enjoyed it :)
    edited July 2017
    Glad that it is settled and the question has also piqued your curiosity. So the relevance of the question is no longer in question I hope (a bit of a pun)

Hope to hear insights from mikeo but if any ex/current-bitcoin miner wishes to share their experience, it would be great to hear from you too.
  • RouvioRouvio Member Posts: 16
    PlantDr said:

@Rouvio can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but glad you enjoyed it :)

Not sarcastic at all, i really am enjoying knowledgeable threads like this one!
  • mikeomikeo Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I didn't speculate/invest in bitcoin when I was mining it back in the day - and that was a mistake in retrospect. I'm guessing here but I imagine it might have been slightly more profitable to buy bitcoin than build my little 10-card hobby mining farm. Now when I finally received the long delayed ASIC miner that baby cranked out some coin. At least until Mt. Gox went bankrupt and I lost just under 20 bitcoin. :-/ But that's another story.

Now I buy Ether and hobby mine it. I find both enjoyable in very different ways.
    Post edited by mikeo on
    Did I say I am 74-years-old? No? Old dog, new tricks, etc., etc. ;-)
  • AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 92
    mikeo said:

This alone gave me motivation, inspiration and hope (Non ethereum related things going on with me) never is too late.

cheers and thanks.
    edited July 2017
    Akroma said:

mikeo said:

This alone gave me motivation, inspiration and hope (Non ethereum related things going on with me) never is too late.

cheers and thanks.
    +++