Advice needed on modding Sapphire Rx 570 nitro + 4gb

GolfmadGolfmad Member Posts: 34
I have been going through the forums over the last few days trying to work out how to mod my cards so that I can increase the hash rate from 22mhs. The problem is that no matter what I try I cant get the hash rate to increase, i'm probably missing a step and was hoping that someone here might be able to help.

Here is what I have done so far.
  1. I have downloaded both the 1500 and 1750 rom file from here. https://anorak.tech/t/sapphire-rx-480-nitro/5015
  2. After modding 1 card and it failing to be recognised I patched the drivers for Windows 10.
  3. The mod is now accepted but I have seen no change in the hash rates. tried both the 1500 and 1750 with no luck.
Out of interest will simply modding the bios with a rom increase the hash rates on it own or do you then have to use afterburner?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• EMWEEEMWEE Member Posts: 60
    After you changed you strappings you should increase the memory clock with afterburner or trixx.
  • GolfmadGolfmad Member Posts: 34
    So is it the memory clock that increases the has rate and not the modding of the bios?
    Adjusting the strappings alone should give a increase as well.
    That's what I thought but Im seeing absolutely no change at all. Really strange, only thing I can think is there is a bios switch on the card and that might be the issue.
    With the 4gb version i have 2 sets of timings 1:xxxx and 2:xxxx. What do I put in the timings to get the mod to work? should I copy 1500 - 2000 for both sets of timings? Stuck at the minute.
  • DavidC1DavidC1 Member Posts: 40
    If you downloaded the right BIOS version and flashed it correctly you shouldn't have to worry about where to put timings. It should just work.

I am assuming based on #2 you reinstalled the drivers?
    edited June 2017
    @DavidC1 When you say reinstalled do you mean after flashing the bios? When i installed the cards i downloaded Crimson driver 17.4.4 but that was the only time the cards drivers were touched.
    Post edited by Golfmad on
    edited June 2017
    Golfmad said:

@DavidC1 When you say reinstalled do you mean after flashing the bios? When i installed the cards i downloaded Crimson driver 17.4.4 but that was the only time the cards drivers were touched.

Yes, you want to completely clear of the drivers after BIOS update. Sometimes it works, but if it doesn't try that. Download something called DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller), and uninstall it in safe mode before you install the driver again. The patching has to be done anyway so do that before restart after driver install.

I also recommend you monitor GPU clocks for a short time while its mining to be sure its working. You can use HWInfo64, GPU-Z, WattTool, and of course AMD Wattman.
    DavidC1 said:

Golfmad said:

Yes, you want to completely clear of the drivers after BIOS update. Sometimes it works, but if it doesn't try that. Download something called DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller), and uninstall it in safe mode before you install the driver again. The patching has to be done anyway so do that before restart after driver install.

I also recommend you monitor GPU clocks for a short time while its mining to be sure its working. You can use HWInfo64, GPU-Z, WattTool, and of course AMD Wattman.
    Thanks for the info, I did try a reinstall of the drivers after updating the bios but it seems like the new AMD drivers instantly don't recognise the modded bios.
    The little switch on your card enables you to switch between 2 ROM's. In the event your card doesnt work anymore on the first position you can flip the switch to the second position, wich still contains the original ROM.

If u edit your ROM, the AMD driver detects the signature isnt correct (error 43). To disable the signature check you need to use AMD pixel clock patcher.
    @EMWEE hi, I have the switch on the device placed up against the output end of the card and also when I have installed the rom it is recognised by the system because I use AMD pixel clock patcher. The problem isn't with the rom being recognised it's more that it seems to have no effect what so ever on the hash rates with Claymore Dual Miner
    Can u post a screenshot of your settings and hashrate? Are you single mining or dual mining?
    @EMWEE I will do, I am Dual mining. I have just tried 3 different flashes of the bios with my own edited rom file.
    • I initially tried editing only the 2:1500 - 2:2000
    • Then tried editing 1:1500 - 1:2000 with 2:1500 - 2:2000
    • Then tried editing 1:1500 - 1:2000 only
    Each time I flashed the bios and it was detected by the system. :(

@EMWEE Here you go, thanks
    Also getting the folllowing info when flashing the card

I see your problem. Ur cards are NOT modded. When u issue the command to flash the new ROM it says: File not found. So check if you named the file memstrap.rom or not.

The command should be: atiflash -p -f 0 FILENAME.rom

You can see in the second screenshot your original rom succeeds because the filename is correct.
    @EMWEE thanks again for the help but I don't think that is the issue, it was my mistake to post that screenshot as I posted it with a mistake. I was trying to update the card using the command prompt to see if that made a difference. The card that does get the flash is actually the card I'm trying to update and still no luck. Going to give up with it soon as I'm running out of ideas. I've tried just doing the 1750 lines now and no luck.
    I see your running on 1750 memclock. U should increase that with MSI afterburner.
    edited June 2017
    Golf...

Could you show us a GPU-Z or HWInfo screenshot about the GPU? I want to see how much its using while its running.

Also if you are editing try the 1625 or 1750 straps instead.

You'll get it working. These things aren't the easiest to do.
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    You need to understand how straps and clock speeds are working. You can't just copy the 1750 straps to 2000 and leave the clock at 1750. That's literally like turbocharging an engine and not letting it rev high enough to genetate any boost pressure (at which point the turbo is useless).
    @DavidC1 @ecs87

Hi guys thanks for the help. The only reason I haven't bumped up the clock is because every time I do the overall hash rates go down. Also I read that by simply modding the card you would see some increase so I thought I would go with that first.

Here is a screenshot of GPU-Z with a new bios flash using 2:1625 - 2:2000

• ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    If you're going to keep the clock at 1750 just copy the 1500 straps into 1750. If its stable you will see an increase in hashrate.
    I dont want to insult you but the screenshot u posted of atiflash implies you are not 100% sure about what you are doing. I cant tell if you actually flashed the modded rom onto your card.

The reason why im saying this is because when u use the stock rom and increase the mem clock your hashrate could go down instead of up. If u flashed a modded rom your hashrate should go up even before you increase the mem clock. In your case nothing happends so only conclusion is you flashed the wrong rom or its throtteling or something.
    @ecs87 @DavidC1
    Thanks guys, I managed to make some headway based on your advice but hit another roadblock. I switched to single ethereum mining and also only changed the timings from 1750 - 2000.

I decided to do 1 card at a time and and managed to get nearly 27.5mh from 24mh using Claymore for each card when it is the only card in the system. So then I decided to run with the both and now only 1 card is showing 27.5 and the other is back to the stock value again!

If I run 1 it goes up, if I run them together in Claymore only 1 of the cards hash rates increases.
    @EMWEE not to worry not insulted. I am pretty new to this, I managed to setup the rig with no issues. Obviously the issue comes when Im trying to get these things to mod. I read some advice that if you are running a 4gb card you should update from 1500-2000 so I have been doing that. @ecs87 mentioned that I needed to go from 1750 instead and that seems to have made a difference.
    It made a difference because your mem clock is set to 1750.
    edited June 2017
    Ok here is an interesting discovery and I think it has to do with Claymore. It turns out that the mod seems to only be working with the card that is plugged into the monitor. I ran the miner and it stated the following

GPU 1 - 24mh, GPU 2 - 27mh (plugged in)

So I decided whilst it was still running to remove the monitor cable and place it in GPU 1 and I got the following.

GPU 1 - 27mh (plugged in), GPU 2 - 24mh

So I then switched it back to the original GPU whilst still running the miner and it has remebered both hash rates.

GPU 1 - 27mh , GPU 2 - 27mh (plugged in)

edited June 2017
    Golfmad said:

It turns out that the mod seems to only be working with the card that is plugged into the monitor.

That's not always true. My setup is:

-HD 630 iGPU active, for playing games
    -2x RX 580s on x16 slots
    -1x RX 470 on x1 slot using a riser

So its also my main computer.

Did I say I also have 2TB Seagate HDD accelerated by Optane Memory 16GB? :wink: