"could not unlock sender account"

drcodedrcode Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
Hi, if I'm using the ethereum go CLI client in 0.9.0, the new account system has some new requirements, for keys and account unlocking.

Now, whenever I try to send a transaction to the blockchain, I'm getting this error- What are the magical incantations necessary to unlock a sender account? (I figured out the previous step, generating a key, by using the Mist menus)

Comments

• mids106mids106 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    you can use the command line option: --unlock=address:password
    note that the address can't have 0x as prefix currently... and be aware of the security risks of providing your password on the command line, which could make it visible to everybody on the same machine as well as store it as plaintext in your shell history.
    Post edited by mids106 on
  • drcodedrcode Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Thanks @mids106... I'm a little confused though as to where I get the password from- Or, is this an option to create a brand new password? When I generated a key through Mist it did not give me the option for entering a password, so I assume the generated key is stored unencrypted (sorry, I'm probably missing something obvious here...)
  • mids106mids106 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    you can set the password when you create the account on the command line, I dont think this is exposed in Mist, but that could change every minute. The command line instruction to create a new account: ethereum account new
    Thanks! That's the undocumented magic incantation I was looking for!
    Hi, so the steps suggest by @mids106 seem to be on the right track (i.e. I know the CLI is unlocking the key because an incorrect password causes an error)

However, when I run my javascript code and try to create a contract, the rpc still returns "could not unlock sender account"... The account # I created and the account # shown in ethereum.js match, so I'm not sure why it is still failing...
  • ScottScott Member Posts: 1
    I'm having this same issue with trying to rpc to go-ethereum cli client. any solutions here?
    Hi, the error went away after I downloaded the latest go-ethereum develop branch recently.