Will the windows client support mining by the March release date?

gaznoxgaznox Member Posts: 2
Will I be able to mine on my AMD graphics card on a windows machine by march? Or should I set up a linux machine?

Comments

• zeelzebubzeelzebub Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    I don't represent the project in any way, but my recollection is that the plan is to have "click to mine" available for all three platforms including GPU mining at launch. The ultimate goal is a fair launch and it seems like that would be a part of a fair launch.

With that said... the linux client will probably be better tested and more polished than the windows client.

I think this talk describes that goal:

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited March 2015
    I've updated the mining FAQ , but in a nutshell, at the launch of Frontier, it's unlikely we'll have baked in GPU miners. We're however planning to release GPU options for both Nvidia and AMD ideally before Homestead.

Update 12/03/15 - Good news, we will be releasing a GPU miner at launch, even if it means a later release. Fairness comes first.
    Post edited by StephanTual on
  • Dude_xDude_x Member Posts: 40
    Hello, In the mining FAQ you say the algo is memory hard, so older GPUs will (theoretically) be financially more efficient.
    Does that mean that a gpu with 2048 mb is enough, or do i need more like 4.096 MB.
    One question about cpu mining, what is more efficient for Ethash... 4 cores 8 threads or a 8 core cpu?

Thanks in advance
  • neeeeeeextneeeeeeext Member Posts: 6
    Sad to see you won't have GPU miners publicly available from the start...

Any chance to postpone the release until the GPU miners are ready and public?

From a certain standpoint it does make some sense to give a 100x advantage to those that are able to code their own miners, but it might be considered unfair by most of the users.
  • shawn_Blah_Blahshawn_Blah_Blah Member Posts: 57
    So, gpu's will have a 100x advantage, and no public gpu will be available.

WOW.

Anyway, thanks for saving the time.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    @neeeeeeext, @shawn_Blah_Blah - had a chat with Gav and V today, in line with the risk that some 3rd party could potentially hoard GPU code, we decided that we will in fact release a GPU miner at launch, so no one gets an unfair advantage. I'm quite happy with this decision, and I'm sure you guys will, too ;)
  • neeeeeeextneeeeeeext Member Posts: 6
    @StephanTual yeeey! you guys are great! :)
  • shawn_Blah_Blahshawn_Blah_Blah Member Posts: 57
  • knobsonkookknobsonkook Member Posts: 14

@neeeeeeext, @shawn_Blah_Blah - had a chat with Gav and V today, in line with the risk that some 3rd party could potentially hoard GPU code, we decided that we will in fact release a GPU miner at launch, so no one gets an unfair advantage. I'm quite happy with this decision, and I'm sure you guys will, too ;)

Does this mean that CPU mining will not make sense?

• ConradJohnsonConradJohnson Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Awesome announcement for supporting GPU mining at launch. Nvidia hopefully @StephanTual ????

Also, will we be able to do GPU mining in testnet to get our rigs tuned and ready pre genesis?