Asus releases dedicated mining GPU's

o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
One of the world's largest technology hardware makers has announced new graphics cards (GPUs) aimed at the cryptocurrency mining market.

Taiwan-based manufacturer Asus revaeled the Mining RX 470 and Mining P106, which were designed to handle the energy and heat intensive process of mining. Though not expressly pitched as such, the release is undoubtedly aimed at capturing some of the interest in mining ethereum. Bitcoin mining, by comparison, has evolved to a stage in which application-specific integrated circuits, or ASICs, are required to compete.

coindesk.com/asus-announces-new-graphics-cards-focused-cryptocurrency-mining/
www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/
www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-RX470-4G/

Comments

• cvethmooncvethmoon Member Posts: 24
    Ah man where to order? :smile:
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    Ridiculousness. Not saying it's not true, but the prices they want for these are stupid. Why would I get one of these at $300+ as a miner when I could scoop up gaming cards for $200-300 when they're in stock? The price needs to be lower, much lower than $300, especially with ZERO resale value.
  • erstwealerstweal MidwestMember Posts: 122 ✭✭
    My new rule of thumb - pay no more for a graphics card than the current price of ETH.
  • wcryanwcryan Member Posts: 157
    Better fan bearings and a better tuning program. Sounds like a ripoff to me. Maybe they don't know people mod bios which probably makes them faster than their cards stock. It just seems like they didn't do very much
    They did absolutely nothing. There was a guy over on the bitcoin forums who bought a ton of the 1060 series mining cards. Were they faster? Nope. Exact same hashrate as the regular 1060s. I doubt the "better fan bearings" is even a real claim. We all know the best tuning program for Radeon cards is WattTool :wink:

Seems like just another reason to throw some shitty binned chips onto a board with no display and cross fingers that they don't go bad within the 1 year warranty. Just dumbfounds me why anyone would get these when they can get regular/gaming cards with display output (++++ resale value) that has more than a 1 year warranty? I swear I've gotta be missing something here, or the person doing the pricing on these cards needs to get fired ASAP.
  • cvethmooncvethmoon Member Posts: 24
    erstweal said:

My new rule of thumb - pay no more for a graphics card than the current price of ETH.

Well said! I agree with you 100%
  • MangeMange Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know where to pre order any of these in the US?
  • nocturrnenocturrne Member Posts: 4
    I am testing 2 Asus Mining P106 samples today. With the latest Ethos with Nvidia support, they are stable at just over 24Mh/s. I have overclocked them without much experimentation using:

globalmem 5700
    globalcore 1850

With some fine-tuning, they are likely stable overclocked a little bit more. The memclock can be overclocked much more than I expected. These cards are basically GTX 1060s. The main advantages are availability, slightly lower price (current market), and reliability. They fans and heatsinks do appear to be a little beefier than standard.

Unfortunately, these cards are not released in the US yet. I am in China, getting them direct.
  • PlantDrPlantDr Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    How are you viewing the monitor with the dedicated cards? Through the motherboard?
  • simonwinssimonwins Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    How much do they cost? Do you have details? Zotac mining cards are available in my country for $270.. But they are single fan. Waiting for better P106
    PlantDr said:

How are you viewing the monitor with the dedicated cards? Through the motherboard?

I used a monitor to setup the rig using onboard video, then setup SSH before installing the GPUs. Now I just monitor it over a SSH terminal.
    simonwins said:

How much do they cost? Do you have details? Zotac mining cards are available in my country for $270.. But they are single fan. Waiting for better P106

The price is varying a lot now, as the demand is so high. I am buying commercial quantities of a few hundred pcs and selling master cartons of 10pcs. If you buy 1 box of 10pcs, they are around $350 each, not including shipping. If you buy larger quantities, I can get a better price.

• cjclm7cjclm7 Member Posts: 77
    Price is now 335$ at ebay
    At ASUS website https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/ I have compared it with GTX1060 6GB (I think is intended to be an option to the 1060) and found a difference in the PCI-Express: one is PCI-e 1.0 and the other is PCI-e 3.0.
    Does this make difference for a mining rig performance?
    It won't make a difference for mining. Besides it was probably a typo.

And at ovet 300 bucks...LOL. Yeah, I'll just keep scooping up the gamer cards between 200 and 250.