[GUIDE][TUTORIAL][XMR,ETH] How To Mod Polaris Bios AMD RX 470/570/480/580 Mining

MattthevMattthev CZMember Posts: 19
I've post this on bitcointalk, but it could help here also.

Lot of people asking how to mod RX bios. There are 2 ways the easy one and the proper one.
I will show you the easy way. This bios modding is easy for newbies.
[b]Undervolting will only work with Windows[/b] If you need undervolt bios for Linux you need to do the harder way. You can ask here, someone could make it for you. I know that Wolf0 can do it. - Bitcointalk

If you need help, buy me a beer I can help you. Write me on e-mail [email protected]

What I can offer:
  • Performance timings for all GPUs
  • Bios mod
  • Support

How To Mod Polaris Bios AMD RX 470/570/480/580

Tools:
Polaris Bios Editor 1.4.1
Polaris Bios Editor 1.5
SRBPolaris Bios Editor
AMD/ATI ATIFlash
GPU-Z
Pixel Clock Patcher
DDU

Check what memory vendor you have with GPU-Z. This is Samsung.

Download newest ATIWinFlash and save your bios.

Start Polaris Bios Editor or SRBPolaris. Open the bios.

Copy performance timing. For Samsung is best Uber-Mix 3.1. You can find it here http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx
First post -> RX Performance timings. It can be used for RX 470/570 and 480/580 4GB or 8GB. [b]Use it only for Samsung memory.[/b]
There are performance timings for all vendors Elpida, Hynix, Micron. You can google some of them also you can make your own. Basically it's just normal timing strap from card with tightening timings for better performance. It can be decode to values in SRBPolaris for example.
If you want good performance timings you can write to me.

Beware of space before the strap while you copying the Uber-Mix 3.1!

Copy it to 1750 and 2000. If you have more straps like this 1:xxxx 2:xxxx, you need to copy to the right one. In VRAM section, there is dropdown menu the Samsung one start with K, Hynix with H and Elpida with E. First one is 1:xxxx second one is 2:xxxx, SRBPolaris showing exact name of memory vendor.

You can higher or lower TDP if you want. Max memory clocks or vcore.

Undervolting
Do not put static voltages

Voltages like 65286 means they are dynamical for every card based on ASIC quality mostly. So you can flash the bios to all same cards (memory vendor) and it will work, every card will have similar voltages, some lower some higher.
The trick for easy undervolting is put lower values than it is. Voltages need to be equal or higher than the previous on.

Example from other forum how it could be

If you set clock in Afterburner or whatever you will se what voltages is that. Do not lower voltages too much in bios, you can always undervolt in Afterburner. Once you will know what voltages are stable you can put those dynamics values right for your card.

Also you can lower VDDC (VRM).
You can put values like 1000, 975, 950, lowering by -25mV. 975 and 950 should be stable on every cards, you can set 850 but this couldn't be stable. If you put lower voltages only to higher clocks it will always boot but in utilization it could be unstable.

There is lot more to change but this is basic and it's mostly enough what you need.
It's mainly meant to show you what is performance timings and how to do easy undervolt.

Save the bios and flash it with ATIWINFLASH
Load bios and click program. Your PC will freeze for few seconds so patiently wait!

[b]After flashing your card uninstall AMD drivers with DDU![/b]
Reboot and install new drivers and [url=https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher]Pixel Clock Patcher[/url] Without patch your card will have error 43!
Reboot.

[b]Memory OC and memory errors[/b]

Start miner or stability test.
Start with stock clocks than you can raise memory clocks by 10Mhz steps, every few seconds.
Download HWinfo64 and check for memory errors! Once you have some errors lower clocks a bit till there are no new. This clocks should be stable. After you find best memory clocks you can set core clocks (overclock or underclock) than you can try lowering voltages. Also you there shouldn't be artifacts!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/250644/how_to_overclock_your_graphics_card.html

Find your GPU and the GPU memory errors line. Watch it for numbers. If there are any after few minutes your memory clock is too high. If you have few errors after hours it's no problem. But key is to have 0 errors. [b]Memory errors can cause bad shares![/b]

With performance timings you can have 30-31MH/s with RX 470/570 and 31+MH/s with RX 480/580 (It could be 33+)
This is max you can have not every card can achieve it! Most cards can run above 28MH/s.

Quick video how the modding in PBE could be:

XMR: 800+H/s on 470/570/480/580, I don't know why, but 470 hashing more than 480
My XMR hashes with XMR-STAK-AMD
RX 470 Samsung 870H/s
RX 470 Elpida 835H/s
RX 480 Samsung 845H/s

SGminer GM 5.5.5
RX 470 Samsung 915H/s
RX 470 Elpida 890H/s
RX 480 Samsung 920H/s

My ETH hashes with Claymore (stock config)
RX 470 Samsung 30MH/s
RX 470 Elpida 29MH/s
RX 480 Samsung 31MH/s

Hope this could help someone, there are lot's of other tutorials and videos on youtube, but none of them what I saw used performance timings...

As I said if you need help, buy me a beer and I will help you.
My email: [email protected]

Donations:
ETH: 0xA266f3158E84A70Cd2AD2cE9F0Da3143C0392A73
BTC: 36aU6vUWxTG7UigKEpZzXmB6k6jy2D7xVY
XMR: 4A6G5JmSNiULxE2BeuobfTaMFC2LcLJQ4XwQpgzUf7GMFjKGFzBz1N42538xQ4XZire1pN4veMniiWnFw62YV5GsV1hVz26

This is my tutorial. It's not the best. I hope it's understandable and with no mistakes. Any tips for improvement appreciated!
I used some images from other forums.

Comments

• MattthevMattthev CZMember Posts: 19
  • EMWEEEMWEE Member Posts: 60
    If this guide is a start for new miners it should only containing copying straps.
  • greatauror28greatauror28 Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comprehensive write-up. Will definitely try this once I get my CPU from Amazon on Friday.
    EMWEE said:

If this guide is a start for new miners it should only containing copying straps.

No! That's the bad way! More troubles.
  • MinosMinos Member Posts: 2
    Very useful article .detailed one .
    Minos said:

Very useful article .detailed one .

Thanks.
    If you have questions write to bitcointalk thread or on the e-mail [email protected]
    I don't be here very often.
  • etherphiletherphil Member Posts: 11
    What's about the windows driver problem?
    After every bios update windows does not
    Recognize my rx 570 (8gb/micron)
    Also the driver workaround (safe mode) is unstable because it reactivates after restart (Softwaretechnik)
    Use DDU for wipe drivers, it will block auto intall drivers. Did you read the guide? You need to install patch after.
    ETH hashrates also apply for Dubaicoin DBIX!
    EDIT: With new DAG Epoch are ETH hashrates lower than stated. Those benchmarked are from May and June.
  • harrypostreharrypostre Member Posts: 10
    One question, i have 2 rigs on EthOS. I can flash it on windows and put it on EthOS? All the guide keep the same?
    What is everyone hashing right now?

Rx580:
    29.1 eth-only
    28.7 eth+sia
  • bobbintbbobbintb Member Posts: 10
    I've been trying for weeks and can't get my ASUS rx580s (8gb samsung) faster than a high 26mhs.
  • kinnthkinnth Member Posts: 8
    Really nice info. I have an issue when I try to start winFlash "Error Reading from ROM" any idea what that could be?

edited August 2017
    bobbintb said:

I've been trying for weeks and can't get my ASUS rx580s (8gb samsung) faster than a high 26mhs.

Weird. What's your memory?
    Mine's samsung and out of the box, it hashes 24. Copying 1750>2000 straps gives me 27.
    Custom timings in the 2000 got me to 29.1 Mh/s.
    1260/2050/960mV
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    The "Uber-Mix" is far from the best Samsung timings...
  • parenzoparenzo Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2017
    I have a problem I cant edit my 2 rx470(both samsung 4 gb memory) I went thru all the steps and when i reboot system doesnt even recognize my Gpus,wiped out all older driver and installed new ones,same problem,also treid couple other methods i found on yt. same thing happens,any obv solutions,thx?

One question, i have 2 rigs on EthOS. I can flash it on windows and put it on EthOS? All the guide keep the same?

Yep, almost, voltage table will not work.
    Wolf0 said:

Alright, but it's best from what is free to use :D
    I've used Uber-Mix and tweak it a little, it's working pretty good, but ok it's not doing 33MH/s :D
    parenzo said:

I have a problem I cant edit my 2 rx470(both samsung 4 gb memory) I went thru all the steps and when i reboot system doesnt even recognize my Gpus,wiped out all older driver and installed new ones,same problem,also treid couple other methods i found on yt. same thing happens,any obv solutions,thx?

Flash it with stock in safe mod
    bobbintb said:

You need OC the memory more.

Wolf0 said:

This never worked for me, and i had tried twice.

I'm better off using custom timings for 2000 i've found in the web. Now using blockchain drivers and Claymore 9.8, i'm doing 29.3 eth 410 sia @ ~130w per card.

• parenzoparenzo Member Posts: 23
    ok,I finally made to flash my 2x rx470 with moded bios,took me days to figure it out what was the problem,windows was just keep on auto installing generic drivers after a dds cleanup and restart,so had to edit adminstrative protocol to desable auto driver install,and cards areo now showing 25 mh/s +/-,thing now is when i open msi afterburner or ati saphire cant rlly edit nothing on my cards,any solutions?what else i need to tweak to increse hash rate a bit more,dont need maxed 30+ just a few mh/s more,thx?
    parenzo said:

ok,I finally made to flash my 2x rx470 with moded bios,took me days to figure it out what was the problem,windows was just keep on auto installing generic drivers after a dds cleanup and restart,so had to edit adminstrative protocol to desable auto driver install,and cards areo now showing 25 mh/s +/-,thing now is when i open msi afterburner or ati saphire cant rlly edit nothing on my cards,any solutions?what else i need to tweak to increse hash rate a bit more,dont need maxed 30+ just a few mh/s more,thx?

You need AB 4.4.0 Beta 16 if you are using those new drivers.
    In original thread on bitcointalk added how mod bios with new SRB Polaris V3
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1954245.0
    edited September 2017
    Updated for VEGA 56/64, new RX basic performance timings for all vendors.

• Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    Mattthev said:

If you're telling me you've done HBM2 timing mods on the Vega cards - I know that's bullshit. You might be okay at doing parsing and timing work on the GDDR5 (or even some HBM1 work on a Fiji, as the format did not change entirely until Vega), but I know exactly how complex the new format is (writing the support into my dev tools was hell), so... I doubt that.
    Wolf0 said:

Mattthev said:

If you're telling me you've done HBM2 timing mods on the Vega cards - I know that's bullshit. You might be okay at doing parsing and timing work on the GDDR5 (or even some HBM1 work on a Fiji, as the format did not change entirely until Vega), but I know exactly how complex the new format is (writing the support into my dev tools was hell), so... I doubt that.
    No for VEGA, it was added for RX 4xx/5xx series :smiley:
    For Vega only links for guides, I don't have any Vega.

Mining Bios With Performance Timings
    https://mining-bios.eu/
    Here you can grab 10% discount on order total.
    CoolAirMining10
  • BikuyBikuy Member Posts: 36
    Mattthev said:

I've post this on bitcointalk, but it could help here also.

Lot of people asking how to mod RX bios. There are 2 ways the easy one and the proper one.
    I will show you the easy way. This bios modding is easy for newbies.
    [b]Undervolting will only work with Windows[/b] If you need undervolt bios for Linux you need to do the harder way. You can ask here, someone could make it for you. I know that Wolf0 can do it. - Bitcointalk

If you need help, buy me a beer I can help you. Write me on e-mail [email protected]

What I can offer:

• Performance timings for all GPUs
    • Bios mod
    • Support

How To Mod Polaris Bios AMD RX 470/570/480/580

Tools:
    Polaris Bios Editor 1.4.1
    Polaris Bios Editor 1.5
    SRBPolaris Bios Editor
    AMD/ATI ATIFlash
    GPU-Z
    Pixel Clock Patcher
    DDU

Check what memory vendor you have with GPU-Z. This is Samsung.

Download newest ATIWinFlash and save your bios.

Start Polaris Bios Editor or SRBPolaris. Open the bios.

Copy performance timing. For Samsung is best Uber-Mix 3.1. You can find it here http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx
    First post -> RX Performance timings. It can be used for RX 470/570 and 480/580 4GB or 8GB. [b]Use it only for Samsung memory.[/b]
    There are performance timings for all vendors Elpida, Hynix, Micron. You can google some of them also you can make your own. Basically it's just normal timing strap from card with tightening timings for better performance. It can be decode to values in SRBPolaris for example.
    If you want good performance timings you can write to me.

Beware of space before the strap while you copying the Uber-Mix 3.1!

Copy it to 1750 and 2000. If you have more straps like this 1:xxxx 2:xxxx, you need to copy to the right one. In VRAM section, there is dropdown menu the Samsung one start with K, Hynix with H and Elpida with E. First one is 1:xxxx second one is 2:xxxx, SRBPolaris showing exact name of memory vendor.

You can higher or lower TDP if you want. Max memory clocks or vcore.

Undervolting
    Do not put static voltages

Voltages like 65286 means they are dynamical for every card based on ASIC quality mostly. So you can flash the bios to all same cards (memory vendor) and it will work, every card will have similar voltages, some lower some higher.
    The trick for easy undervolting is put lower values than it is. Voltages need to be equal or higher than the previous on.

Example from other forum how it could be

If you set clock in Afterburner or whatever you will se what voltages is that. Do not lower voltages too much in bios, you can always undervolt in Afterburner. Once you will know what voltages are stable you can put those dynamics values right for your card.

Also you can lower VDDC (VRM).
    You can put values like 1000, 975, 950, lowering by -25mV. 975 and 950 should be stable on every cards, you can set 850 but this couldn't be stable. If you put lower voltages only to higher clocks it will always boot but in utilization it could be unstable.

There is lot more to change but this is basic and it's mostly enough what you need.
    It's mainly meant to show you what is performance timings and how to do easy undervolt.

Save the bios and flash it with ATIWINFLASH
    Load bios and click program. Your PC will freeze for few seconds so patiently wait!

[b]After flashing your card uninstall AMD drivers with DDU![/b]
    Reboot and install new drivers and [url=https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher]Pixel Clock Patcher[/url] Without patch your card will have error 43!
    Reboot.

[b]Memory OC and memory errors[/b]

Start miner or stability test.
    Start with stock clocks than you can raise memory clocks by 10Mhz steps, every few seconds.
    Download HWinfo64 and check for memory errors! Once you have some errors lower clocks a bit till there are no new. This clocks should be stable. After you find best memory clocks you can set core clocks (overclock or underclock) than you can try lowering voltages. Also you there shouldn't be artifacts!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/250644/how_to_overclock_your_graphics_card.html

Find your GPU and the GPU memory errors line. Watch it for numbers. If there are any after few minutes your memory clock is too high. If you have few errors after hours it's no problem. But key is to have 0 errors. [b]Memory errors can cause bad shares![/b]

With performance timings you can have 30-31MH/s with RX 470/570 and 31+MH/s with RX 480/580 (It could be 33+)
    This is max you can have not every card can achieve it! Most cards can run above 28MH/s.

Quick video how the modding in PBE could be:

XMR: 800+H/s on 470/570/480/580, I don't know why, but 470 hashing more than 480
    My XMR hashes with XMR-STAK-AMD
    RX 470 Samsung 870H/s
    RX 470 Elpida 835H/s
    RX 480 Samsung 845H/s

SGminer GM 5.5.5
    RX 470 Samsung 915H/s
    RX 470 Elpida 890H/s
    RX 480 Samsung 920H/s

My ETH hashes with Claymore (stock config)
    RX 470 Samsung 30MH/s
    RX 470 Elpida 29MH/s
    RX 480 Samsung 31MH/s

Hope this could help someone, there are lot's of other tutorials and videos on youtube, but none of them what I saw used performance timings...image

As I said if you need help, buy me a beer and I will help you.
    My email: [email protected]

Donations:
    ETH: 0xA266f3158E84A70Cd2AD2cE9F0Da3143C0392A73
    BTC: 36aU6vUWxTG7UigKEpZzXmB6k6jy2D7xVY
    XMR: 4A6G5JmSNiULxE2BeuobfTaMFC2LcLJQ4XwQpgzUf7GMFjKGFzBz1N42538xQ4XZire1pN4veMniiWnFw62YV5GsV1hVz26

This is my tutorial. It's not the best. I hope it's understandable and with no mistakes. Any tips for improvement appreciated!
    I used some images from other forums.

This doesn't work anymore. Is there update version?
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Bikuy said:

This doesn't work anymore. Is there update version?

What's not working?