Launching a 6000 mh/s ethereum farm. Q&A Thread!

12346»

Comments

• rforfo Member Posts: 2
    Hi !
    Could you share the bios / and the tools that you use for your Sapphire R9 290 ?
    I have the same cards !
    Thanks you
  • MineallnightMineallnight Member Posts: 21
    If im limited to a 100amp breaker, will switching to 240volts from 120volts allow me to run twice the amount of rigs? While being slightly more efficient without blowing the breaker?
  • kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

If im limited to a 100amp breaker, will switching to 240volts from 120volts allow me to run twice the amount of rigs? While being slightly more efficient without blowing the breaker?

All USA home circuit panels are capable of delivering 240V service at 80% of their rated amp limit.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    newmz said:

Coming from someone who has watercooled literally hundreds of cards you shouldn't have to replace thermal compound that often. What thermal compound are you using?
    @bctopics I am using a compound that came in a little syringe with the XSPC 290 reference waterblock. It has "K3" on it and the XSPC brand but that's about all. I don't think my problem is with the thermal compound, I think there is some kind of corrosion going on, or some other thing that is maybe blocking waterflow. I have three 290s in a loop and maybe that's a bit much for the little pump I have. I'm going to try to open up one of the waterblocks (I have a spare) and see what's going on inside.
    Not sure if anyone was interested in this - how many people are watercooling on mining rigs anyway?

Just thought I would report back for anyone who is: it turned out that the problem was galvanic corrosion. I was running three all copper waterblocks in the same loop as one that was nickel plated. You should never mix your metals because something then becomes the "sacrificial anode". In this case it turned out to be the nickel waterblock. When I took them all off and opened them up there was horrible sludge all through the system - originating at the nickel block which was REALLY bad right where the fins over the GPU chip are. I have removed the nickel block from the loop and have been running three copper blocks now for over a month and they are great. Here in Australia where it's spring the outside/ambient temp is getting up to 30 celcius but the watercooled GPUs never go above 60 celcius - overclocked 290s.
  • merkleminermerkleminer Member Posts: 15
    Possibly a dumb question: what purpose do the aluminum standoffs serve? Is it for heat/airflow or electrical isolation? If the later, isn't aluminum still conductive?

Possibly a dumb question: what purpose do the aluminum standoffs serve? Is it for heat/airflow or electrical isolation? If the later, isn't aluminum still conductive?

The area around the holes in the motherboard is non-conductive. You can't place the motherboard directly only the metal frame, or it will short.
  • nathasmnathasm Member Posts: 1
    How did you find the place to rent? Were the owners ok with the huge fan and additional power draw required for your farm?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    given you have been up and running now for +6months what is the one thing you would have done differently?
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    boysie said:

given you have been up and running now for +6months what is the one thing you would have done differently?

i know 3 dudes with 9 , 5 , 12 GH farms in 3 continents :)
    started with most of them started with 2GH from last May :smile:
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I bet @kotarius is very happy with his 6000mh mining farm right now!!!
    What would I have done differently? Hmm, maybe buy Ethereum at $8/coin? :smile:
  • SoorajSinghSoorajSingh Member Posts: 1
    @kotarius What is the temperature at your place in degree Celsius?
    It's 45 degrees here and I am having a hard time cooling down my cards, I have the GPU fans running at 60%, have placed tubes in an Air Conditioner, those tubes end near the GPUs supplying cool air, have a 200W exhaust fan and still the GPUs run @ 80-85 degrees. I am running a 1200MH/s farm and thinking to increase the power in coming months.
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    kotarius said:

What would I have done differently? Hmm, maybe buy Ethereum at $8/coin? :smile:

Haha wouldn't we all!
    edited May 2017
    @SoorajSingh You need 50W of exhaust per 1000W of rigs. Exhaust is most important, you do not need A/C.

So, 12 rigs is 12000W or so, 12*50W = 600W of exhaust. You only have 200W, so you are overheating.
  • thepixelgeekthepixelgeek PhillyMember Posts: 96
    edited May 2017
    How much is needed for air intake?
    Post edited by thepixelgeek on
    Air intake can be passive.
  • wcryanwcryan Member Posts: 157
    Have you thought about positive pressure airflow. We use it in the fire service and we can clear smoke within a house in minutes. Big inlet to a small output hole and it should work wonders.
    kotarius said:

Air intake can be passive.

Says the person with heat issues and air conditioner pipes running to the cards. No offense. I'm learning in efforts to start my own farm.

Sounds like positive air pressure is the way to go! I've seen it used for other farms. A la Bitcoin Master on Youtube.
  • botarnoldbotarnold Member Posts: 16
    Can you tell me where did you get those motherboard trays? they look great.
    @thepixelgeek What heat issues and air conditioner pipes? I have neither. Maybe you're looking at the wrong farm. This one is mine. http://ethosdistro.com/farm/
    kotarius said:

@thepixelgeek What heat issues and air conditioner pipes? I have neither. Maybe you're looking at the wrong farm. This one is mine. http://ethosdistro.com/farm/

Sorry about that...I misread the above.
    edited May 2017
    botarnold said:

I think he got them from here. http://spotswoodcomputercases.com
  • botarnoldbotarnold Member Posts: 16

botarnold said:

I meant the plate that holds the motherboard
    botarnold said:

botarnold said:

I meant the plate that holds the motherboard
    Yes, spotswood made it for me. It is just a sheet of aluminum with holes and standoffs.
  • EthmininggEthminingg Member Posts: 3
    Where you order those hardware in bulk?
  • Brie844Brie844 Finland, Capital City of VantaaMember Posts: 63
    edited July 2017
    kotarius said:

@SoorajSingh You need 50W of exhaust per 1000W of rigs. Exhaust is most important, you do not need A/C.

So, 12 rigs is 12000W or so, 12*50W = 600W of exhaust. You only have 200W, so you are overheating.

Hello,

You live on that rig? Im happy with you. It produce lot eth on per day, minus electricity. Hope it possible to me allso on my lifetime. I maybe invest 8000 Mh/s, then i dont have to go work anymore and rising up my economy status = money
  • asegesaseges Member Posts: 19
    Hi, I've read all about your farm and just wanna say congrats.

Can you explain your exhaust system? You just have the one huge fan in the wall? How many watts of exhaust is that? And how many 1000W of rigs does that cool. Since you been through a couple hot summers with the rigs can you tell me how the temperature on the rigs faired?

What is the model of your exhaust you used?

Also can anyone show me examples of a positive pressure exhaust system? I am working on building 40-80 rigs.