ASUS Dual series GeForce® GTX 1070 OC edition 8GB GDDR5 - For mining ! - HELP!

BrucelatsBrucelats Member Posts: 23
edited June 2017 in Mining
Hey guys!

I am planing to make a farming rig and i am from Croatia. As farming is at full swing it was SUPER SUPER hard to find some good GPU-s. In Croatia is not so easy to get cards, it's low supply and we dont have our own Amazon or ebay and such so w8ting for new cards if i order them (AMD) is practicaly impossible. I could only use some of nvidia models and i managed to find this one in the title.

I cannot find any info about this Asus GPU, i have feeling it's a good model, Asus is good manufacturer and it's also gtx 1070 which i read is good for farming, both ethereum and zcash and i seen ppl pushing them to 37 or so MH/s

I already ordered 3 and i will order another 3. What you guys think about this GPU-s? Did i made terrible mistake or will those GPU-s do just fine?

Here is link for card also if anyone is wondering - https://asus.com/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-GTX1070-O8G/

I actualy compared this one with Gigabyte Windforce OC 8GB, then with Asus GTX1070FI, Asus TurboGTX1070 and it has best clock

OC Mode - GPU Boost Clock : 1797 MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1607 MHz
Gaming Mode (Default) - GPU Boost Clock : 1771 MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1582 MHz

Others are on:

GPU Boost Clock : 1683 MHz
GPU Base Clock : 1506 MHz

And Windforce OC is at:

Boost: 1771 MHz/ Base: 1582 MHz in OC Mode
Boost: 1746 MHz/ Base: 1556 MHz in Gaming Mode

This is still slightly slower then Asus GTX Dual series OC 8GB

GeForce® GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G from MSI is same as Asus GTX 1070 OC 8GB GDDR5 with clocking, but i noticed when in OC mode memory clock from MSI one is 8108 MHz, so MSI might beat this one slightly.

I kinda answered my own question maybe with comparisons, but not sure is there some problems with seting up rig or smth with this cards so hashrate could be low. Anyway let me know what u think. Cheers!

Please help & Thank you !
Post edited by Brucelats on

Comments

• discosaurdiscosaur Member Posts: 22
    What is your current hashrate with the Asus GTX 1070? I just bought one yesterday and am getting about 25 Mh/s out of the box. You mentioned people pushing them to 37 Mh/s -- Do you know what it takes to do this?

I will try pushing memory clock up tonight using MSI Afterburner and see what happens. Thanks for any advice!

• BrucelatsBrucelats Member Posts: 23
    discosaur said:

What is your current hashrate with the Asus GTX 1070? I just bought one yesterday and am getting about 25 Mh/s out of the box. You mentioned people pushing them to 37 Mh/s -- Do you know what it takes to do this?

I will try pushing memory clock up tonight using MSI Afterburner and see what happens. Thanks for any advice!

I still w8 for them to arrive :( but tommorow or in 2 days they should be here and i'll start working on my RIG. There is 1 thread where some guy pushed to 37 MH/s on GTX 1070, but not sure which model. I'll try to re-check.
  • DavidNDavidN Member Posts: 40
    I have a 1070 g1 gaming with Samsung memory after OC it's pushing 31 Eth at 86 gpu only or 30 eth 290ish DCR at 91 gpu only. The clocks are +25 core and +650 memory.
    To get 37 you need at least +100 core and +800 memory, mine wasn't able to stay stable at those.
    DavidN said:

I have a 1070 g1 gaming with Samsung memory after OC it's pushing 31 Eth at 86 gpu only or 30 eth 290ish DCR at 91 gpu only. The clocks are +25 core and +650 memory.
    To get 37 you need at least +100 core and +800 memory, mine wasn't able to stay stable at those.

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/

Is this the model you have?

Nice 31 ETH is still not that bad. Maybe you could push for 1 or 2 MH/s extra?

Do you know maybe what memory is this one i ordered? I heard some differences with mining depending on memory. I am still noobish. I still havent made rig haha. But as everything was sold out i thought this cards will be best solution.

Brucelats said:

DavidN said:

https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/

Is this the model you have?

Nice 31 ETH is still not that bad. Maybe you could push for 1 or 2 MH/s extra?

Do you know maybe what memory is this one i ordered? I heard some differences with mining depending on memory. I am still noobish. I still havent made rig haha. But as everything was sold out i thought this cards will be best solution.

The G1 is the Gigabyte card...not Asus...but the Asus Strix might have samsung memory also.
    DavidN said:

Thanks I am going to push towards +25 +650 on my MSI Aero cards tonight and see what happens. If they do okay I will try a little more. Micron memory. never worked with it yet.
  • s1eights1eight Member Posts: 5
    I just bought 1070 cards from gigabyte. I'm still having trouble finding posts on over clocking 1070 cards on this forum. Anyone have any good guides or advice?
  • ResonanceResonance Member Posts: 57
    " The clocks are +25 core and +650 memory. " These are good numbers. I'm running about the same with a smooth 6x30 at only 60-65 degrees C. I'll take that all day.
  • dereklim92dereklim92 Member Posts: 1
    I'm using Gigabyte gtx1070 G1 Gaming, all I did was +1200memory to get around 31Mh/s for ETH. Tried a few times to + core but it's very unstable and crashed.
  • GoosusGoosus Member Posts: 2
    I have 4 of the Asus Duals, I am testing 2 of them at the moment while I wait for some risers.

Running Claymore's miner on Ubuntu 16.04 I am getting 30mh/s stable with 8644mhz memory clock, stock core clock at ~53c temp, fans 80%.

I am still in the process of testing stability at higher clocks, it seemed stable at around 8700mhz but after about 4 hours it crashed. I did have the core at +100 though (which has no effect on hashrates) which could have been the issue. I have dropped it back and will slowly increase with no core OC.

I haven't been able to get to 32mh/s with this card yet, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this particular card stable at that hash rate.
    Goosus said:

I have 4 of the Asus Duals, I am testing 2 of them at the moment while I wait for some risers.

Running Claymore's miner on Ubuntu 16.04 I am getting 30mh/s stable with 8644mhz memory clock, stock core clock at ~53c temp, fans 80%.

I am still in the process of testing stability at higher clocks, it seemed stable at around 8700mhz but after about 4 hours it crashed. I did have the core at +100 though (which has no effect on hashrates) which could have been the issue. I have dropped it back and will slowly increase with no core OC.

I haven't been able to get to 32mh/s with this card yet, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has this particular card stable at that hash rate.

Nice man, 30 MH/s so far is good.

I am still beginer and i just started my mining, now i need to learn how to overclock on linux, check my GPU Temp, fan speed and such.

Do you have any tips how to check all that?. I dont know how to do any overclocking or undervolting etc on Linux.

P.S I have geth account, i noticed geth account doesnt have "0x" on front of address. When i start my miner, (ethminer -G -F http://ethereumpool.co/?miner=[HASHRATE IN MHASH]@[ADDRESS]@[OPTIONAL RIG NAME]) do i need to put in this adress my Geth address with added "0x" or without it? i had some errors
  • GoosusGoosus Member Posts: 2
    @Brucelats - You will save your self a lot of headaches (especially if you are new) and just use https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250.0
    Goosus said:

@Brucelats - You will save your self a lot of headaches (especially if you are new) and just use https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1854250.0

Thanks man!

First i wanted to follow this thread over here - https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/7780/gtx1070-linux-installation-and-mining-clue-goodbye-amd-welcome-nvidia-for-miners/p1

But it's too hard for me to set it up as linux beginner, not many info is there, and it's hard to manage ubuntu server especialy. What you think about this one?

Second, how is it going so far? Managed to upp the clock a little bit?

Now i am downloading this 5GB image of nvOC. I hope everything will work fine :D i am super excited!
    edited June 2017
    Goosus said:

How do you clock cards? When i enabled coolbits 12 to have clocking and fan control, if i open nvidia X-control and edit clock or memory offset nothing happens. I cannot change it. It's like writing for nothing. Only fan control works.

Also in the row where is the line to overclock, on the left side should be number referencing to the "Level" and it's like some small icon, i cant tell what it is lol

I want to still play with linux before using nvOC

EDIT: Made to clock the card. Testing Ethminer and Claymoore. To reach around 30Mh/s i need to put 1200 on Mem Clock. Which drivers you use? It's odd we have diff numbers since we have same GPU-s

Altough, i see i cannot enter Performance Lv 3, i am on Lv 2 so my clocks are lower. Hmmm
    Post edited by Brucelats on