Zipped resources pulled from swarm for DAPP front-ends

o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
Would it make sense to have DAPP resources bundled in zip files for increased fetch efficiency, unzipped, cached then presented when requested needed?

I'm thinking that DAPP contracts could have a storage field dedicated to a front-end address (magnet or URL) so that a client could automatically look up that resource when given a contract address.

Comments

• JasperJasper Eindhoven, the NetherlandsMember Posts: 514 ✭✭✭
    Eris used magnet links ages ago already :) Now it uses ipfs.(perhaps also magnet links)

Note that there is no guarantee that the data is available, so Ethereum can't use it to affect contract execution. Well, you could make a contract that uses external data using merkle trees, but data availability can be a security concern there. (plug: hanging blocks)
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    Thanks for the consideration Jasper. I only learnt about IPFS yesterday reading through, i think, Eris blogs. I'm still getting my head around a lot of fundamentals of distributed architectures, so I'm not really ready to understand your hanging blocks yet but will be hanging about your blog for a while I think. :)
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    @o0ragman0o , that's pretty much the plan - the idea is to have dapps fully decentralized by having their frontends (html+js+css+assets) tarballed or similar, distributed over swarm and decompressed in the correct folders by Mist.

This won't be something available at launch, and will take quite a bit of development before being released.
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    edited February 2015
    IBM used BitTorrent for the same purpose in the Adept project.
  • HellRazorHellRazor BerlinMember Posts: 99 ✭✭
    @StephanTual Not available at launch? damn I think this is quiet a bummer, without swarm how will I get the Dapp frontend at launch? Will there be a centralized place or will a developer have to provide it on his own somewhere and the user has to load a dapp into the ether browser himself or from a website? I mean without swarm anything with dynamic media is kind of impossible or not half as cool to implement as it could be with swarm? :neutral: Pleeease take care of this as soon as possible, I want to see a new Pir... eehh I mean Etherbay soon! ^^
  • GeorgeHallamGeorgeHallam Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 229 admin
    edited February 2015
    Hi @HellRazor, we've actually just got Swarm v0.1 working! One of the Swarm dev team is popping over to the London office next Monday - I'll make a quick explainer/demo video with him and post for all to see :)
    edited February 2015
    Is there any relationship between 'Swarm' and 'IPFS' which I see has also just launched alpha and looks damn good? sorry Jasper said so before...
    Looking forward to that demo George. :)