Will the 1070s work?

nicktreknicktrek Member Posts: 1
Since all of the other rx video cards are sold out, I'd like to purchase the 1070s. I've heard that the GeForce GTX 1070 will work for mining, but I'm really confused on which one to buy. I see that Gigabyte, MSI, and EVGA makes them, and each one has different styles.

Is it true that the styles each have different cooling abilities?

I already purchased one Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GDDR5 256 bit PCI-E 3.0 x 16 Windforce OC off of Amazon, but I see there's the "Founders Edition", "Gaming Edition", etc.. . Will this card work? can it achieve the high hash rates that are listed in https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/7780/gtx1070-linux-installation-and-mining-clue-goodbye-amd-welcome-nvidia-for-miners/p1 ?

Which 1070 Should I choose to get the highest output?

Thank you guys in advanced! Forgive me if this information is already out there, I've been scouring the internet looking for answers and I can't seem to find anything definite.

Comments

• jetpackjetpack Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2017
    Yea its good at 25mhs+ costly card kinda but lowerish power I believe vs say AMD equivalent. I dont think it matters which you really get but two fans and large sink for sure MSI seems friendly. MSI has Effective Memory Clock of 8108 MHz which is better then the 8008 of others and Mem clock is important factor
  • DavidNDavidN Member Posts: 40
    I have a gigabyte 1070 G1 and it gets 30-31mh/s at 86 gpu only power. I think the msi would be better as well.
  • maximanimamaximanima Member Posts: 1
    @DavidN could you please share your config? Windows or Linux, Drivers, Mem/Core Clock, ... (and leave your ETH address for a small tip ;))
    edited June 2017
    Windows 10, I use msi afterburner do OC +50 core and +650 memory 60% fan speed. I use claymore.
    also with these setting you can dual mine Dcr at 290 and ETH at 30, with -ethi 7 and -dcri 29

Pm me if you have any questions I'll answer them to the best of my ability.
    Ethereum address
    0x699f7490197C3C30101De1B03298788fD9305Ee9
    Hope this is helpful.
  • MiningHabitMiningHabit Member Posts: 14
    David, so you are saying that you can mine ethereum AND decred at the same time with the nvidia 1070s?

So if I built a rig with 6 of them, I can expect to get ~180 MHs/ of ETH and get the cherry on top of mining another coin too?

David, so you are saying that you can mine ethereum AND decred at the same time with the nvidia 1070s?

So if I built a rig with 6 of them, I can expect to get ~180 MHs/ of ETH and get the cherry on top of mining another coin too?

Yes, I would assume 128-130ish + 1740 DCR. I would stick to the Rx 4xx and 5xx since they are cheaper though. I don't own a mining rig yet I use my gaming pc.
  • pneumaticseedlingpneumaticseedling Member Posts: 10
    Hey DavidN,

Did you change the straps to get those numbers or did you only use afterburner?
  • discosaurdiscosaur Member Posts: 22
    jetpack said:

Yea its good at 25mhs+ costly card kinda but lowerish power I believe vs say AMD equivalent. I dont think it matters which you really get but two fans and large sink for sure MSI seems friendly. MSI has Effective Memory Clock of 8108 MHz which is better then the 8008 of others and Mem clock is important factor

I am also getting into mining on 1070's and just picked up two yesterday. Might as well give them a shot since I have two available PCI slots and Radeons cards are hard to get.

After researching specs, the only MSI 1070 card that had the higher 8108 mem clock was the Gaming X.

Because of availability at a local shop, I just went with an MSI with reference cooler ("Aero" model) which still has 8000 or 8008 mem clock. I bought the ASUS equivalent ("turbo" model) just to test and both have Micron memory. I will return the ASUS cards since the MSI are about the same in hashrate but $50 cheaper each. Hashrates were 25 Mh/s out of the box, and with +200 on the memory in Afterburner I could move them to 27 Mh/s. This is Claymore and win7. latest NVIDIA drivers. I would like to push hashrate to 30, so I am going to bump the memory clockrate higher tonight and see how the cards hold out.

No I only OC in after burner, also I forgot to say my memory is Samsung.
  • shubham7392shubham7392 Member Posts: 31
    DavidN said:

I have a gigabyte 1070 G1 and it gets 30-31mh/s at 86 gpu only power. I think the msi would be better as well.

how ?
  • FriendlyFriendly CanuckistanMember Posts: 31
    I'd buy the cheapest 1070 there is and then tweak/optimize it from there as they're all going to perform within a few MH from each other. you probably want to get a fan based model over a blower as those are better at cooling...but in the end, there are so few options left, I'd just grab what you can find!!!
  • gerardo76gerardo76 VenezuelaMember Posts: 11
    discosaur said:

jetpack said:

I am also getting into mining on 1070's and just picked up two yesterday. Might as well give them a shot since I have two available PCI slots and Radeons cards are hard to get.

After researching specs, the only MSI 1070 card that had the higher 8108 mem clock was the Gaming X.

Because of availability at a local shop, I just went with an MSI with reference cooler ("Aero" model) which still has 8000 or 8008 mem clock. I bought the ASUS equivalent ("turbo" model) just to test and both have Micron memory. I will return the ASUS cards since the MSI are about the same in hashrate but $50 cheaper each. Hashrates were 25 Mh/s out of the box, and with +200 on the memory in Afterburner I could move them to 27 Mh/s. This is Claymore and win7. latest NVIDIA drivers. I would like to push hashrate to 30, so I am going to bump the memory clockrate higher tonight and see how the cards hold out.

U try increase the memory clock over +200?