RX 570 problem - stuck at 24.xx Mh/s (MSI Gaming X & Sapphire Nitro +)

rhombusrhombus Member Posts: 13
edited June 2017 in Mining
Hey friends!

I bought a Sapphire Nitro + RX 570 and a MSI Gaming X RX 570 and have the same problem with both cards: I'm stuck to 24Mh/s

I tested different bios (modded from the original bios) using the 1500 strap, I then tried many straps either from my bios or from the internets.

Some time I can get up to 25Mh/s but never more.

That's weird as I run a RX 470 with no problem to 29+ MH/s as well as two RX 480.

Both RX 570 use Hynix memory. But well, it should do better than that, isn't it? I've seen in posts here that other people have the same issue with the MSI but having the same issue with the Sapphire is strange.

I'm mining using sgminer on ubuntu. Also tried claymore with similar success. Tried different ram OC, they handle it with no crash but even at 2100 - hashrate is the same.

Any idea about what could be wrong?

Thanks for reading!
Post edited by rhombus on

Comments

• jetpackjetpack Member Posts: 88
    Whats that 570 running at with watts? Iv seen most getting 27 the highest 29 but not as stable. Try some different bios mods straps n timing. overclock,net has good info and some comments on given YT videos have some nitty gritty.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    It's probably not actually clocking higher than 2000 - there's usually a limit in the VBIOS. I usually override it by setting the default memory clock higher - often 2150 - and then it applies.
  • rhombusrhombus Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2017
    @Wolf0

Limit in vbios is set to 2250.

cat /sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:02.0/0000\:02\:00.0/pp_dpm_mclk shows 2100 (or whatever I set it to).

Could it be not applied even though it would show there with the right value?

In seems indeed that the RX 5XX ignore this parameter (at least the low performance would suggest that) but if so why does it shows up correctly in pp_dpm_mclk ? Is there a better way to check that under linux?

@jetpack 130W at the wall if undervolted. But for same power consumption my 4xx do a way better hashrate. Even if I don't undervolt / underclock core it's impossible to get past 25 Mh/s... I don't see why as it seems like the frequency I set in sgminer is correctly set (as it works with the 4xx)
    rhombus said:

@jetpack 130W at the wall if undervolted. But for same power consumption my 4xx do a way better hashrate. Even if I don't undervolt / underclock core it's impossible to get past 25 Mh/s... I don't see why as it seems like the frequency I set in sgminer is correctly set (as it works with the 4xx)

4xx do NOT do better, AT ALL. First, see this writeup I did that PiMP posted: https://getpimp.org/faq/what-are-the-real-mining-differences-between-rx-5xx-and-rx-4xx

Then, see a rig treated right: https://ottrbutt.com/tmp/ethwolf-06032017.jpg
    Yea the 580 will do 32 at 126w... im actually hitting 36-37 but not sure im getting more shares. Just hard to find, found 570 for $230 but rather just dish the near $300 for more 580
    jetpack said:

Yea the 580 will do 32 at 126w... im actually hitting 36-37 but not sure im getting more shares. Just hard to find, found 570 for $230 but rather just dish the near $300 for more 580

What memory? 580s will even do 33MH/s if you loosen the timings and open up the clocks on Samsung - 36 - 37 is probably some kind of error.
    hynix :) Ill take a pic, could be a error i guess :) still testing things, trying to hit 40. still at 126w and 74c tho . Who has ever really designed everything for just mining, i dont see why everyone puts a cap on their mhs potential per card haha
    jetpack said:

hynix :) Ill take a pic, could be a error i guess :) still testing things, trying to hit 40. still at 126w and 74c tho . Who has ever really designed everything for just mining, i dont see why everyone puts a cap on their mhs potential per card haha

Hm - if real, I find it quite interesting. Would be interesting to see how it would do on my SGMiner-GM kernel, as it's ~1.5% (minimum) faster than Claymore's ASM one (and more stable.) Curious.
    Think im still only stable at 2050mhz, get too many overclock red warnings at 2100 let alone 2200 could run at 42 and take a pic quick lol . win7 ultimate custom bios flash and other system/hardware settings to tune it all to work with the gpu is prime. Wish i knew those that worked at AMD they prob have a custom driver and bios n such that can put these cards into the 50s and 60s
  • grchinagrchina Member Posts: 7
    jetpack said:

Is that 8gb or 4 and what rom(strap) you used?And i thought I am good with 30,5 on 4gb hynix
    edited June 2017
    Wolf0 said:

4xx do NOT do better, AT ALL.

Thanks for the links. I know for 4xx in general or theoretically don't do better, but in my case sadly, my MSI & sapphire 570 perform badly: I can't get them to do more than 24.70 or 25 Mh/s. While I don't have this problem with the 470. I might be doing something wrong but I don't understand what as they run in the same rig as my 470 and 480 that I have no problem with and I did follow common advices while modifying the vbios and tried many straps. Problem is probably with the ram overclock (set in sgminer) not being correctly taken into account - but why would that be?...

By the way, Nice perfs you got there... @jetpack & @Wolf0 - could you share the voltage you use and the frequency of your GPUs jetpack?

@Wolf0: if your "./wolfamdvolt" available somewhere? I'd enjoy to be able to check the real voltage used by my cards...

Thanks!
    super stable and good shares with little stale at 32mhs 115watt 1.075v Iv not cut much mv out. 1150mhz/1050mv on processor like 2075/850mv on memory. Had mv on 900 and 800 on gpu and mem and still 115watt. Iv done additional mobo and cpu tweaks tho, can get to 37+mhs but doesnt seem to actually benefit much. To actually put mhz on memory at 2200 would be nice but i crash too much need to figure some more stuff out.
    rhombus said:

Wolf0 said:

4xx do NOT do better, AT ALL.

Thanks for the links. I know for 4xx in general or theoretically don't do better, but in my case sadly, my MSI & sapphire 570 perform badly: I can't get them to do more than 24.70 or 25 Mh/s. While I don't have this problem with the 470. I might be doing something wrong but I don't understand what as they run in the same rig as my 470 and 480 that I have no problem with and I did follow common advices while modifying the vbios and tried many straps. Problem is probably with the ram overclock (set in sgminer) not being correctly taken into account - but why would that be?...

By the way, Nice perfs you got there... @jetpack & @Wolf0 - could you share the voltage you use and the frequency of your GPUs jetpack?

@Wolf0: if your "./wolfamdvolt" available somewhere? I'd enjoy to be able to check the real voltage used by my cards...

Thanks!
    God no that's not available. That tool does a lot more than set/get voltages and offsets - it will happily disable all protections on your VRM controller, let you volt the core to 1.4V, and mine some core-intensive coin like Sia... resulting in at least the fiery death of a GPU, and possibly your death in a house fire. :P

It does less dangerous shit, too, like controlling Vdroop/load-line calibration on controllers that can (surprising as HELL how nice this can be for hardcore undervolting), reading status, VRM temps, etc...

But not only is it quite valuable, as I noted above, it's dangerous as hell, at least in its current form. It only checks if it *can* do what you've asked of it - it does not check if what you told it to do is really, really stupid.
    Allright, thanks guys.

I've been undervolting using https://github.com/rumatoest/dwarfing/blob/master/amdgpu-mod.sh and did notice that at some point power consumption stop going down. Not sure if the undervolting is correctly applied though. A way to check current voltage used by the cards would be neat.

Nice tools you get there, Wolf0 :)

I'll experiment more with the RX 570 and if I find no way to get a better hashrate I'll probably sell those and focus on doing a 480/580 rig :)
    rhombus said:

Allright, thanks guys.

I've been undervolting using https://github.com/rumatoest/dwarfing/blob/master/amdgpu-mod.sh and did notice that at some point power consumption stop going down. Not sure if the undervolting is correctly applied though. A way to check current voltage used by the cards would be neat.

Nice tools you get there, Wolf0 :)

I'll experiment more with the RX 570 and if I find no way to get a better hashrate I'll probably sell those and focus on doing a 480/580 rig :)

Just did a cursory look at the script - IMO, appears that it should work. That's still ghetto as hell, though.
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, appears to be working quite well. I did manually modify the drivers before, the script makes that easier.

edit: works better for me than setting up the voltage in the miner - might help others trying to lower the power consumption (and heat) of their GPUs
    edited June 2017
    Wolf0 said:

It's probably not actually clocking higher than 2000 - there's usually a limit in the VBIOS. I usually override it by setting the default memory clock higher - often 2150 - and then it applies.

Allright, had some time today to play a bit with the bios and indeed default clock there was still set to 1750 even though the limit was higher. I did modify the third value in "memory" settings to 2150 (one MSI card couldn't handle more than 2000 though) and it now works great, all cards hash at 29.XX Mh/s. Seems like pp_dpm_mclk can't be trusted...

Thank you very much @Wolf0

Now I need to find a way to seriously reduce power consumption, each card is using around 170W at the wall...
  • viddouf78viddouf78 Member Posts: 2
    hi guys :) jetpack/rhombus/wolf0...... how do you do to have 35/36mh ??? ^^

im a newbee (buyning all composants) and you will be very cool if you can help me...

what is your config jetpack?

can you confirm me that all gpu 4gb can be changing in 8gb??? ive see that on xfx 4gb to8gb its possible to do for another GPU like msi or pulse is it possible too??and if its posssible, where is the interest to buy a 8gb??

i want to buy 8/14 gpu but its very difficult with shockmarket of rx480^^ by the miners
    so i have think to go to pulse 580 8gb but it's in reassorting so i must wait too :(

can you advice me please guys :)*

thanks a lot !!
  • cabslockcabslock Member Posts: 38
    Has anybody tried the RX570 Pulse ITX? That's the one with only one fan.
  • viddouf78viddouf78 Member Posts: 2
    i dont know if that can help...

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3949&gid2=3920&compare=AMD Radeon RX 570 Sapphire Pulse ITX 4GB-vs-AMD Radeon RX 580 Sapphire Pulse 8GB

the value of the 570itx are lower than 580 8gb

but i can have opinion on this card ......may be is efficient/good enought to mine .....i dont know .....i cant help you! sorry
    I did read in a forum that they worked great. But resale value will be lower. If you are comfortable mining with single fan GPU it should be OK. Might be more noisy than cards with a better cooling system.
  • Heisenberg99Heisenberg99 Member Posts: 19
    jetpack said:

man you can make a tut?
  • cabslockcabslock Member Posts: 38
    viddouf78 said:

i dont know if that can help...

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=3949&gid2=3920&compare=AMD Radeon RX 570 Sapphire Pulse ITX 4GB-vs-AMD Radeon RX 580 Sapphire Pulse 8GB

the value of the 570itx are lower than 580 8gb

but i can have opinion on this card ......may be is efficient/good enought to mine .....i dont know .....i cant help you! sorry

Well I ordered 6 of them last week, so hopefully will see soon how good they are
  • mongstreuxmongstreux Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2017
    rhombus said:

Yeah, appears to be working quite well. I did manually modify the drivers before, the script makes that easier.

edit: works better for me than setting up the voltage in the miner - might help others trying to lower the power consumption (and heat) of their GPUs

hi rhombus,

Mind telling how you amend the script? I've got a stucked 570 @ 24mhs as well. :(

EDIT: As usual, the wolf saves the day. thanks to him quoting you (below) and I saw where. ;P Gonna try later and update soon!

Cheers!
    Post edited by mongstreux on
    rhombus said:

Wolf0 said:

Allright, had some time today to play a bit with the bios and indeed default clock there was still set to 1750 even though the limit was higher. I did modify the third value in "memory" settings to 2150 (one MSI card couldn't handle more than 2000 though) and it now works great, all cards hash at 29.XX Mh/s. Seems like pp_dpm_mclk can't be trusted...

Thank you very much @Wolf0

Now I need to find a way to seriously reduce power consumption, each card is using around 170W at the wall...
    Well done. Many have a max memclk that is rather low - fix it and you're good to go.
  • heavyarms1912heavyarms1912 Member Posts: 14
    I got an msi rx 580 4gb oc edition today and tried bios mod 1500 straps and 1075/2000 on clocks. I have it undervolted to 925mV and set to 95W TDP, Max Power to 125W in BIOS. I get around 28.8 MH/s. Could you provide any pointers to improve it to 32 MH/s. GPU-z reports 88w power consumption.

I got an msi rx 580 4gb oc edition today and tried bios mod 1500 straps and 1075/2000 on clocks. I have it undervolted to 925mV and set to 95W TDP, Max Power to 125W in BIOS. I get around 28.8 MH/s. Could you provide any pointers to improve it to 32 MH/s. GPU-z reports 88w power consumption.

LOL 32MH/s. And... you copied 1500 to 2000... did you read this thread before you posted?!
  • heavyarms1912heavyarms1912 Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2017
    Wolf0 said:

LOL 32MH/s. And... you copied 1500 to 2000... did you read this thread before you posted?!
    I am new to this. I don't understand. Am I doing something wrong? I don't expect it to do 32 at 88w. Whatever I did yielded an improvement from stock 22.5 to 28.8 so far. Am I supposed to only copy 1750 straps to 2000?
    jetpack said:

What does the above comment address then?
    Post edited by heavyarms1912 on