Auto Rebooting Rig for Stability

orinityorinity SingaporeMember Posts: 84
My rig of 3 GPUs seem to be hanging every few days. I am wondering if it is common to reboot the rig everyday for continuity?

Comments

• PMmeyourBTCPMmeyourBTC UK BristolMember Posts: 50
    I changed from win 10 to Pimp OS because of this. What OS are you running?
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    No it's not common if it's not stable then you've done something wrong with the overclocking or undervolting. Rigs should run for weeks without even looking at them.
  • orinityorinity SingaporeMember Posts: 84
    It used to be able to run for weeks but it seems that the GPUs are degrading. They can no longer sustain the same clocks anymore.

I am running Windows 10 Pro.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    This is stupid. If there's a problem - fix the problem. Freya had an issue with a GPU dropping out around once a day, and it was because the cable leading to the riser on that GPU was melting. If I'd done something like this, I could have started a fire.
    Wolf0 said:

This is stupid. If there's a problem - fix the problem. Freya had an issue with a GPU dropping out around once a day, and it was because the cable leading to the riser on that GPU was melting. If I'd done something like this, I could have started a fire.

I have checked the risers, nothing is melting. I did notice that the wattage pulled from the wall is creeping upwards, was 540W previously but now using 550W-560W. I am not sure it is the GPUs or the PSU. Perhaps I should reduce the undervolting on Afterburner and see if it increases stability. The RX470 attached to the monitor used to be able to do 1126/2060 clocks but now I get loads of errors instead.
    Quick update: Yesterday, my 2-molex-to-8pin cable melted. Good thing I was at the rig trying to optimise things and spotted the burning. Just plugged in a replacement but it seems that such products seem to have questionable quality.
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    orinity said:

Quick update: Yesterday, my 2-molex-to-8pin cable melted. Good thing I was at the rig trying to optimise things and spotted the burning. Just plugged in a replacement but it seems that such products seem to have questionable quality.

Good catch, but yeah avoid adapters man.
    Techman34 said:

orinity said:

Good catch, but yeah avoid adapters man.
    I put in a replacement and noticed the replacement showing signs of being burnt or overheating 2 days later. Any idea on an alternative for 2-molex-to-8pin adapter? My PSU only comes with 2 8pin cables.
  • wcryanwcryan Member Posts: 157
    Buy more cables on eBay