Question about modding GPU

praestopraesto Member Posts: 115
Pardon me for asking what may seem redundant but I recently was able to upgrade my cards to RX 580s.

I plan to overclock them some but need to get some more knowledge.

1. What does "strap" mean?
2. How do I undervolt them?
3. Does anyone have recommended OC speeds?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    This question was asked and answered a million times. No one will write an n+1 tutorial with the same content. Read more, write less.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-editing-rx5xx-rx4xx
  • praestopraesto Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for your less than helpful reply. Couple things, I am asking literally what strap means, not how to strap. That could be an easy one sentence reply such as "Strap means to apply new software". Second I am asking a similar question for under-volting, not the process behind how to do it. Third I am looking for recommended OC speeds, not necessarily the max. The recommended speeds come from user experience. Please feel free to be a dick elsewhere, thanks!

Oh and the snippy comment, I can provide one too, help me be an asshole less.

check this assholes comment history: https://forum.ethereum.org/profile/comments/21644/rmh

So much hate, maybe you should write less.
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    You could call this hate, but it's just annoy.
    People who has little or no understanding about the basics of hardware and/or cryptocurrencies, are dive jumping into mining, which is not a problem, but the problem is they doing it without research. They spamming the same questions into new topics, and the whole forum is a mess.

All of your questions has an answer at the link, which i posted, but you call me an asshole? Because you take offended by a perfectly appropriate recommendation.

I will write less, do not worry, good luck lamering in the following....
    I actually checked that link and without a lot of searching and diving the answers are definitely not clearly stated. Asking for simple answers is significantly different than looking to go intense. Similar to everything in life people are always going to start somewhere, that is the primary purpose of forums such as these. I agree with you that most of these questions have already been answered, so have most of the questions on the first several pages of this forum. If you have a problem with it then create your own forum board. Otherwise there is literally no need for these. Forums are not a chatting ground for experienced people only, they are a way for enthusiasts to get started and work through their issues.

Let's see how well you stick to your "writing less" comment.
  • nhidognhidog Member Posts: 67
    rmh said:

People who has little or no understanding about the basics of hardware and/or cryptocurrencies, are dive jumping into mining, which is not a problem, but the problem is they doing it without research. They spamming the same questions into new topics, and the whole forum is a mess.

All of your questions has an answer at the link, which i posted, but you call me an asshole? Because you take offended by a perfectly appropriate recommendation.

You can do what I do give them a google link cause folks be lazy. On the bright side, i'd wager half the folks jumping in and going into the deep end with 6 gpus will find that they haven't a clue what they're doing and will end up trying to offload the hardware.
    nhidog said:

rmh said:

You can do what I do give them a google link cause folks be lazy. On the bright side, i'd wager half the folks jumping in and going into the deep end with 6 gpus will find that they haven't a clue what they're doing and will end up trying to offload the hardware.

Luckily I am a folk who jumped in and figured it all out no problem. Didn't OC or anything though. Now that I was able to get my hands on some cheap RX 580s I plan to OC and everything. Using EthOS makes everything extremely simple. No need to offload the hardware when I have already made more than my money back :)
  • nhidognhidog Member Posts: 67
    That's great for you, keep it simple, don't mod straps or undervolt cause that will only increase mhs by 20% and lower electricity cost by 15%. Who needs extra cash when you can get extra heat!
    I don't pay for electricity, one of the reasons I do this. Also with a 5 GPU rig (thats what I use) there is not a lot of heat generation as it is. Especially with the risers, separation of GPUs and use of a quite fan that blows through the GPUs.

I like the extra mhs though so I can definitely going to overclock.
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    Let's keep it clean guys - of course we do hope folks check the stickies, google their questions, and also check youtube. If still stumped post...

For the quick answers requested -

1. Think of Memory straps as like the naturally set levels of the memory per its bios where its timings are deisgned to be optimized at various levels. Ex. Like the 1500, 1625,1750 straps
    2. Undervolting is how you reduce the voltage to your GPU, usually displayed in mV, in programs like MSI Afterburner or Sapphire Trixx. Personally, I like the lightweight WattTool. No frills and doesnt have a cutoff (like MSI AB limiting to a -100 mV reduction). Undervolting is critical to your long term profitability (using a lot less power) and heat management.
    3. This varies by card significantly. You might post your Make, model, memory size and memory type for better feedback.

Cheers (yes--everyone make nice, clink your glasses and drink up as you watch your ether bliss grow)