Best OS for mining?

MEng95MEng95 Member Posts: 28
I bought a SSD which I am now potentially regretting considering a lot of people in videos mention I can use a USB thumb drive.

A few people have mentioned in videos that the OS effects the hash rate, so I am curious, what is the best OS for mining;

Windows 10,
EthOS,
Simple Mining
Pimp OS

Any help is much appreciated. I do want to mod the bios and the timing straps on my RX 580s when they arrive so if that effects any decisions please take that in to account.

Cheers/

Comments

• praestopraesto Member Posts: 115
    edited June 2017
    Anyways consider whether or not you want the ability to mine different coins in the future. EthOS (I use) allows mining with several GPU mineable coins. Windows OS allows mining of almost all coins so its a safe bet always.

Go with what is more familiar and easier for you. I like EthOS because of its relative ease of set-up and use. Also just report nhidog, he keeps doing this and once we get enough reports we can be rid of him.
    Post edited by praesto on
  • ben8jamben8jam Member Posts: 37
    I'm in same boat too. Won't be doing Windows, it will be Linux based, just trying to decide which flavor. Is there a benefit of straight up linux over Ethos?
  • PMmeyourBTCPMmeyourBTC UK BristolMember Posts: 50
    Pimp OS works great for me.
    Get fed up with win 10. My rig would randomly stop mining or power down for no reason.
  • MEng95MEng95 Member Posts: 28
    I think I will start with windows, I never see anyone editing the bios in Linux based OS's such as Eth or Pimp OS so I doubt i'd be sure where to start off.

My rig would randomly stop mining or power down for no reason.

Is there nothing you can do to automatically restart when power is attached and then automatically start mining on bootup?

• praestopraesto Member Posts: 115
    MEng95 said:

I think I will start with windows, I never see anyone editing the bios in Linux based OS's such as Eth or Pimp OS so I doubt i'd be sure where to start off.

My rig would randomly stop mining or power down for no reason.

Is there nothing you can do to automatically restart when power is attached and then automatically start mining on bootup?

EthOS has options to overclock as part of the OS. Also the BIOS is generally stored on the MOBO and within the chips so there shouldn't be that much difficulty, but I am no pro here.
  • MEng95MEng95 Member Posts: 28
    i'm a complete linux noob, i don't even know if you can run executables on linux. For now i'll run windows 10, adjust the bios on the mobo for AC recovery and hopefully that will mean that my rig will auto restart all the time. Hopefully claymore miner has a mine on boot up feature.
  • TahityTahity Member Posts: 3
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Pimp OS works great for me.
    Get fed up with win 10. My rig would randomly stop mining or power down for no reason.

I really doubt that was an issue with Windows 10. If your rig "stops mining" or "powers down" you either weren't tuning and testing correctly or you had a hardware issue. Changing OSs won't resolve either of those issues.

I have nearly 30 GPUs across various rigs running Windows 10. As long as I'm not greedy on the overclock & undervolt settings (and as long as I test them thoroughly) the rigs are solid as a rock.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    The best OS is the one you know well, and can use. I use a custom image which is blazingly fast even on USB 2.0, and should last pretty much forever, as writes are barely ever done (while keeping the ability to upgrade miners/store settings, of course.)
  • myriatechmyriatech Member Posts: 29
    Wolf0 said:

The best OS is the one you know well, and can use. I use a custom image which is blazingly fast even on USB 2.0, and should last pretty much forever, as writes are barely ever done (while keeping the ability to upgrade miners/store settings, of course.)

Sounds like a minimal nix build. What flavor did you start with?
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    myriatech said:

Wolf0 said:

Sounds like a minimal nix build. What flavor did you start with?
    The one I know best, and use for everything. Arch. The rootfs is inside a squashfs, and the initramfs mounts the rootfs as an overlay: the lower, obviously, is the rootfs proper, while the upper FS is in RAM.

The rootfs now appears to be read/write - an illusion making life simpler, as dealing with a read-only rootfs can be a bitch. However, reboot... those changes are gone. The non-volatile partition keeps the shit that matters and it updated often.

I constructed the image such that both legacy (BIOS) and current (UEFI) loaders will see it as valid, making it nice and flexible - just in case.
  • TahityTahity Member Posts: 3
    I would recommend using https://perfectmine.io
    it has a ton of features and very easy to use
  • ivanmarivanmar Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2018
    Yeah guys, I agree, Perfectmine is really cool. They added some new functionality, so now it's even better than it was.

The best thing about it is that it lets you mine almost any crypto (means you can switch to what's hot) and it's easy to use as hack - took me like 10min to download, setup and start mining.

Some of the goodies they have:
    • Higher productivity than I got on Simplemining or EthOS, like way higher
    • Remote control
    • Easy profiles overclock
    • Dual mining (I am now mining ETC+SIA and it's awesome)
    • Power saver - lets you optimize energy usage
    • Awesome support - really matters especially as many others are super hard to reach. These guys are mining 24/7 themselves and are always there to help & give advice
    • Lets you combine GPUs of different brands
    Just test it out for yourself - it's probably going to take you a day or two to see the how it performs.
  • Luck0rLuck0r Member Posts: 32
    ivanmar said:

Yeah guys, I agree,

If it is so great you would Not need a ref-link i guess ;)

• coinscrowcoinscrow EstoniaMember Posts: 4
    Hey, I know this is old topic, but just in case if you stumble on it somehow, check the features of our renewed mining OS on https://minerstat.com/software/mining-os