Running Rigs but breakers are not supporting the power draw

ouste5ouste5 Member Posts: 18
Hi, I am running my 1500w rig on my home plug but my breaker keeps shutting down...any help or tips to make my breaker supports more power ?

Comments

• XatosXatos Member Posts: 24
    Goto your breaker box and locate 20+ amps. Your laundry room has 30 amps. Run an extension cord if you need to.
  • ShadowNiteShadowNite Member Posts: 19
    I wouldn't mess with your breaker, unless you actually know what you are doing. (because it depends how old your house is and what wires are being ran through it.)

Depending on your home most rooms run on 15AMP or 20AMP breakers per room @ 120v (mostly for united states).

A quick breakdown:
    If your room is 15AMP = 1800Watts for that room, then 1440 Watt is 80%, 20AMP 2400 Watts for 1920 Watts for that room (80%), which when running for long periods of time you want to keep your wattage at 80% of the breaker.

Do you know what the amperage is for that room? What else are you running in that room?
  • XatosXatos Member Posts: 24

I wouldn't mess with your breaker, unless you actually know what you are doing. (because it depends how old your house is and what wires are being ran through it.)

Do you know what the amperage is for that room? What else are you running in that room?

He isn't going to know his amperage per room without going to his breaker box...
  • ShadowNiteShadowNite Member Posts: 19
    Xatos said:

He isn't going to know his amperage per room without going to his breaker box...
    Obviously.... He asked "any help or tips to make my breaker supports more power" I just mean he shouldn't try to upgrade his breaker or mess with it unless he knew what he was doing as a safety precaution. Because none of us know what kind of wiring is going through his house...
  • eth_shiftyeth_shifty Member Posts: 52
    I think ShadowNite is on target. To elaborate, if you are blowing the breaker, there is a reason, and you should stop doing so. Just swapping out a 15a for a 20a is a pretty bad idea for very obvious reasons. Highly unlikely that an electrician would have slapped a 15a breaker on 12 AWG. The breaker is intended to blow before the wire catches a wall on fire.

More on the constructive side, depending on how your home was wired (and when) you could have multiple rooms or even lighting on the same breaker. If it blows regularly, try shutting everything else down in the house including lights and see if it keeps happening. If not, then moving the rig may be in order. If it does, then the 30a washer/dryer idea or reducing your rig's power consumption slightly may be in order.

On a side note, how do you know the rig is 1500w? Surprisingly, some of the kill-a-watt guys will actually add more resistance to the circuit and make it more likely to pop a breaker.
  • ben8jamben8jam Member Posts: 37
    ouste5 said:

any help or tips to make my breaker supports more power ?

If you have to ask this question, just stop. Call an electrician. Last thing we need is someone giving you a bad electrical wiring hot-fix"tip" and you either electrocute yourself or burn your house down. Especially if you are going to try and increase your amperage.

Non-lethal tips would be:

1. Split your mining rig into two different MOBOs with two PSUs and connect to two different plugs on two different breakers.

2. Make sure you aren't sharing your 1500W rig on a breaker that appliance is running on. The fuses in my house were done so odd that the bedroom in one part of the house shares a breaker with the living room in another part of the house.

3. Reduce your load.