Future-proofing new mining rig

natminernatminer Member Posts: 3
I'm planning on building a home rig (currently have a rig hosted somewhere), and although ETH is pretty hot right, now nothing lasts forever, and so I'm wondering what to consider in terms of future-proofing the new build, where I select GPUs that can mine ETH well but also other crypto currencies well.

If I go with a typical GPU for ETH (RX 470, RX 570/580) , do these also do XMR, Zcash, etc well? Or are there other GPUs I might want to consider (if there is anything close to having the best of both worlds?)

Comments

• vgmvgm Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2017
    Well, there's no such thing as a "future-proof" mining rig, especially with the coming switch to Proof of Stake. One thing I can guarantee you is that your yield will decrease over time. Right now ETH is in the early stages of the Ice Age, which won't be adjusted until the Metropolis hard fork at the earliest (August/September). So until then the block time will increase exponentially, thereby decreasing your yield proportionally.

That being said, you can definitely build a rig that has the "best of both worlds", meaning mining both ETH and ZEC, since Zcash is the next most profitable coin to mine. I would recommend the 1070, as it's the best all-around card for mining on a variety of algorithms (Ethash, Equihash, etc.), especially when you consider the price to performance ratio. Without any BIOS modifications, the 1070 will reach 32 MH/s for Ethash and 450 Sol/S for Equihash when overclocked. Also, unlike the 1080/1080ti the 1070 has a low enough TDP where you can get away with using only one power supply (I would recommend a Gold rated 1300W PSU if you can find one in stock).
  • insaniakinsaniak Member Posts: 65
    Rx 570s 580s if you can find 200-250 much cheaper than gtx. Research eth it is going to boom hodl
  • natminernatminer Member Posts: 3
    vgm thanks for the reply. With diminishing returns on ETH are you of the opinion that there will still be other coins and ways to mine for profit for the next few years... or if someone hasn't got starting with mining yet would you advise they don't invest in hardware at this point?
  • insaniakinsaniak Member Posts: 65
    natminer said:

vgm thanks for the reply. With diminishing returns on ETH are you of the opinion that there will still be other coins and ways to mine for profit for the next few years... or if someone hasn't got starting with mining yet would you advise they don't invest in hardware at this point?

If you're going to mine start now don't wait