Fell down the rabbit hole

JawboneJawbone Member Posts: 44
Welp, I let curiosity get the best of me and got into mining. I've been at it about a month now, first testing a solo gpu on my desktop daily driver, then building my own open air 6 gpu rig. I recently decided to open an account here because everyone here rocks (mostly.) I have found a plethora of good information here on these forums so I thought why not.

I am running a H81 Pro BTC R2.0 board, pentium chip, 1200 platinum psu, powered risers, Windows 10

4x Asus Strix Rx480 OC 8GB
2x XFX GTS XXX Rx580 8GB

I got 5 of them to play nice on 17.4.3 but can't get a total of 6. All equipment I tested and it's working fine, just a driver issue. From what I'm gathering on here it's a known driver issue. Anyway I'm going to be building a second, so I'll split off the 580s alone and get four more and get two more 480s for my first rig.

A couple of questions. Now that I have a stable rig, I'm looking to squeeze some extra hashing power. I'm not looking to have anything handed to me, I just want to know what bases to cover. I've already played with MSI Afterburner and have increased the core clock but it didn't do much for me (in terms of h/s).

Things I'm interested in:
  • Flashing BIOS for my cards
  • Undervolting (for energy consumption purposes)
  • Overclocking (for h/s purposes)
  • Known working 7 or 8 GPU boards for future builds
Can y'all point me in the right direction? Thank you very much in advance. I will have follow up questions if you have the time.

Comments

• SonixSonix Member Posts: 20
    I will answer your questions as simple as it can be and as much as i know.

Flashing Bios:

First thing is first, it will burn your warranty. So if you gonna mod your bioses keep that in mind. Basically Modding Bios is a simple action that owner change a cards timings-temp rates-voltage-clocklimits and so on.

Best known solution to get higher mhs is rely on changing the timings, to do so you will be copying lower clock timings to higher ones which let your card to read data faster which equals to higher mhs.

Undervolting:

Eventhough mining is a hard process that uses %100 of the card (depends on what you mine ofc) Its not requires high core clocks so you can lower your core clock to decrease power usage, adding to that many people also decrease mhV since the card doesnt use coreclock much and voltage requirement decreased, you can also play with power requirement to obtain optimal usage.

Overclocking:

As i mentioned before, Mining does not gain much benefit from coreclock. So what we do is decreasing coreclock while increase Memory Clock. for example (RX480`s stock 1266 \2000, we are setting its rates to 1150\2250 to obtain more memory clock but lower core clock.) This is also cut some of the power usage.

Mobos:

Im currently using 7x Msi z170A Gaming Pro Carbon (7GPU) i can recommend it but it depends on choice since there are lots of mobos that can handle 6-7 GPUs. Some likes Gigabyte, some Asrock etc. etc.
  • JawboneJawbone Member Posts: 44
    @sonix Hey! I'm so sorry I meant to reply to this and completely lost track.

First off, thank you for your reply! I will keep that in mind about modding BIOS. I've had so much hassle trying to get the damned thing stable, I'm not sure I want to mod the bios now. I might just try OC/UV.

With undervolting, do I have any chance to damage the card? I know it will be trial and error to see what works and what doesn't, for settings. I just don't want to risk hurting the card(s) permanently.

You mentioned the memory clock at 2000, but I've seen some cards rated at 2000 and others at 8000. I'm not sure how they're so different? In your opinion, how much actual hash would I get off increasing from 2000 to 2050?

Also, can I undervolt and overclock all 6 together or do I have to do them one by one? I was planning on just linking them together with Afterburner.

I just bought your mobo for my second rig to build a 7gpu. Wish me luck!
  • EtherealmsEtherealms Member Posts: 60
    Undervolting

You can't hurt anything undervolting, no worries.

Where did you see a card rated at 8000? :D 2000 to 2050 would not give you much maybe .3 - .5 a Mh/s if you are lucky.

Each card will react differently and be stable at different speeds and voltages. You are bound to crash while tweaking them. It is best to just do 1 card at a time and get it stable before moving to the next. Some people even use a separate rig just for tweaking the card.

Good luck on that 7 build! I am still working on my first!

@Jawbone Hey!

Bios modding is not a must, people doing that because it has benefits due to power cost, hashrate or so. I would wait for a week until i go any further than oc/uv to understand all cards quality and optimal rates. Undervolting them will not harm in any way so dont worry about it.

Memory clocks are actually the same, only difference is actual memory and its multiplier. 8000 that you mentioned is actual memory clock and equal to 2000.

AMD cards multiply that number by 4 while Nvidia cards multiply by 2.

Let say you have RX480 and GTX1070.

Rx480 memory clock multiplies by 4 (so 2000x4) if you overclock it to 2250, you will be achieve 9000 actual memory clock.

And when you oc your GTX1070 (4000x2) to 4500 you will be achieving the same result.

In my case (rigs actually) every 100mhz mem clock get me 1mhash. If you get 24 on 2000, youll probably get 25 on 2100, 26 on 2200, 26.600 on 2250. But keep that in mind not every card can go up to 2250.

Some cards will be better than others in case of ASIC quality so their voltage requirements on current mem clocks, tempretures, watt they use will be completely different. you should start your miner at first then tweak them one by one until you get stable settings. (You will be getting errors or 0Mhash if you OC/UV too much so you can play around.)

Its good to hear, hope you manage that. Its kinda hard to set bios since in some cases you gonna need some other settings on bios just make sure that you swap pcie slots to gen1 and disable windows os settings at first.
    I dont know what OS youre gonna use but my recomend would be W10 since has more gpu support.

You can write me anytime so i can answer your questions if you have any.

• EtherealmsEtherealms Member Posts: 60
    Sonix said:

@Jawbone Hey!

Its good to hear, hope you manage that. Its kinda hard to set bios since in some cases you gonna need some other settings on bios just make sure that you swap pcie slots to gen1 and disable windows os settings at first.

Not to highjack (sorry Jawbone) but I have heard mention of things like this before. pcie slots to gen1 is this just for the 1x slots?

Could you expand a little on the Windows settings please :) I haven't made any mining specific changes to my Win 10 and I am actually more of a Linux guy so any info appreciated!
  • gordogordo Member Posts: 7
    hey @sonix

I have seen that some people use ethos for mining. As somebody who has never used Ethos, im guessing you cant use it to tweak your card. So if you have a rig with ethos installed, you should tweak your cards 1 by 1 on a windows pc then transfer them to the mining rig. Is this a correct assumption?
    edited May 2017
    hey @gordo !
    Actually you can OC on linux based platforms, but cannot UV or mod. So basically, if you want to go deep on tweaking, you going to need to do it on windows os.

Sonix said:

@Jawbone Hey!

Not to highjack (sorry Jawbone) but I have heard mention of things like this before. pcie slots to gen1 is this just for the 1x slots?

Could you expand a little on the Windows settings please :) I haven't made any mining specific changes to my Win 10 and I am actually more of a Linux guy so any info appreciated!
    If your Mobo supports WHQL you will need to disable those options even though it only supports win7-8. Dont use fast boot, dont use secure boot. And since its a mining rig, you can disable audio ports and wireless.

Gen1 selection apply to every single pcie slots so not only to 1x but also 16x. I believe some risers that made superior quality can handle gen2 but we dont need it anyway. We are putting it this way to decrease data transfer scale so our risers can handle it.

For windows settings, disable everything. Updates, drivers that generally auto uptade options. onedrive and so on. Every single updatable components and applications can restart your rig and also might corrupt your settings.

Pick a nice graph driver. install required drivers, shutdown everything else.