Dual or ETH-Only Mining?

orinityorinity SingaporeMember Posts: 84
I just got a rig up and running with some old parts and 3 GPUs (1 RX480 Red Devil and 2 RX470 G1 Gaming). I am wondering which will be more profitable, ETH mining or dual-mining with another altcoin?

Comments

• Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Depends on your electricity costs and what the profitability of the side coin is your mining. Dual mining bumps up the wattage the cards uses quite a bit. Try running GPUz and just mine Eth for a few minute and note the wattage, switch over to say dual mine Eth/Decred, the wattage will increase a good amount. Factor that increase into what it would add to your electricity bill and there you go.

Also some coins dual mine better than other, Decred works well, but try Lbry and you'll take a hit on your Eth hash rates unless you adjust the -dcri way down.

If you want to just bag hold whatever side coin your mining along with Eth on the hopes it'll goto the moon, then disregard everything I just said and mine away!! :)

Hope this helps..

Hyetch2k
  • beinglazy_1beinglazy_1 Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2017
    i personally dual mine ETH+Pascal i get ETH 25.300 in Pascal 480mh/s per card you never know pascal could go up by a dollar currently its 0.55 two months earlier it was 0.27 thats the reason i dual mine so that i could keep more coins for future prof
    Post edited by beinglazy_1 on
  • changechange Member Posts: 40
    Hi guys, I want to try and dual mine but I am unsure how to do it.

I'm running claymore and single mining ETH via ethermine.org

does anyone have a simple guide/instruction for me to follow to give it a try?

thanks
    change said:

Hi guys, I want to try and dual mine but I am unsure how to do it.

I'm running claymore and single mining ETH via ethermine.org

does anyone have a simple guide/instruction for me to follow to give it a try?

thanks

Easiest thing to do is look at the readme file in the Claymore folder. it gives examples...

i personally dual mine ETH+Pascal i get ETH 25.300 in Pascal 480mh/s per card you never know pascal could go up by a dollar currently its 0.55 two months earlier it was 0.27 thats the reason i dual mine so that i could keep more coins for future prof

I'm with you on that one, I was doing Eth/Lbry for a bit didn't like the hit my eth mining hash rate took (29/25) so I went back to decred... There's other too that you can "triple" mine on the same machine, like burst or storj for HDD mining or Nexus for CPU. Burst has doubled since I started mining it. These can run along side Claymore and mine as well with out hurting claymores performance..

Hytech2k
    @Hytech2k thanks, I did read the readme and I created an account at supernova but I cant seem to get it to mine decred.

this is my .bat

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool eu1.ethermine.org:14444 -ewal 0x038ae051283A1F0719B7E6ce20DFCfbA80534981.Rig1 -epsw x
    sgminer -k decred -o http://dcr.suprnova.cc:9111 -u xxxxxx.xxxxxx -p xxxxxx -I 21 -w 64 -g 2 -allpools 1 -allcoins 1
    change said:

@Hytech2k thanks, I did read the readme and I created an account at supernova but I cant seem to get it to mine decred.

this is my .bat

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool eu1.ethermine.org:14444 -ewal 0x038ae051283A1F0719B7E6ce20DFCfbA80534981.Rig1 -epsw x
    sgminer -k decred -o http://dcr.suprnova.cc:9111 -u xxxxxx.xxxxxx -p xxxxxx -I 21 -w 64 -g 2 -allpools 1 -allcoins 1

whats the sgminer part? you don't need that. Claymore will mine without needing sgminer.. Try:

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool eu1.ethermine.org:14444 -ewal 0x038ae051283A1F0719B7E6ce20DFCfbA80534981.Rig1 -epsw x -dpool stratum+tcp://dcr.suprnova.cc:3252 -dwal Redhex.my -dpsw x -dcri 25

change the -dwal and -dpsw to match yours for the decred pool, then you should be good...
    @Hytech2k thank you.
    I just took that from the supernova webpage

I ran it with what you suggested but it is still coming back as 0 for the DEC pool and then telling me that no pool is identified and solo mode is started.

Thanks for helping me out!
    change said:

@Hytech2k thank you.
    I just took that from the supernova webpage

I ran it with what you suggested but it is still coming back as 0 for the DEC pool and then telling me that no pool is identified and solo mode is started.

Thanks for helping me out!

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool eu1.ethermine.org:14444 -ewal 0x038ae051283A1F0719B7E6ce20DFCfbA80534981.Rig1 -epsw x -dpool dcr.suprnova.cc:3252 -dwal Redhex.my -dpsw x -dcri 25
    pause

I tested this combination on one of my rigs, everything connected and started mining fine... you just need to change the dwal and dpsw to whatever you setup in suprnova..

-dwal loginID.workerID -dpsw password

Hope this helps!

hytech2k
    @Hytech2k amazing, thank you! I've got it working now.

Do you know why there is an error when the .bat starts running? It says unknown option (my worker ID)

But I checked on the supernova page and its recognised
    change said:

@Hytech2k amazing, thank you! I've got it working now.

Do you know why there is an error when the .bat starts running? It says unknown option (my worker ID)

But I checked on the supernova page and its recognised

Did you go to My Account and in my workers create a worker? On the right side it will show yours username.worker

ie; Hytech2k.RIG1

just leave the pass "x"

@Hytech2k yes, I am getting this on the dashboard page - is that all working?
    change said:

@Hytech2k yes, I am getting this on the dashboard page - is that all working?

Yeah, looking good. no just sitback and wait .. :) You should see it in claymore in yellow that it's mining. Good luck !!

Hytech2k
  • chinpowchinpow Member Posts: 37
    hi
    i use dual mining eth+dcr and the result of my hashrate is:

31.2mh/s eth and 930 mh/s on dcr

my gpu drop 150w i have msi rx480 gmaing x 8 go