EVM cores on silicon.

Ethereum's ASIC resistance relies on generalised computational power instead of specific PoW algorithms. Given the computational power is through the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), is it not predictable that EVM equivalent opcode cores would be manufactured leading to an etherum mining rig arms race?

I'm pretty sure I'm not understanding something and have to read the whitepaper again.

Comments

• eaglgenes101eaglgenes101 Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2015
    It's more likely that intel will receive a flood of orders for custom processors with EVM-based silicon rather than what you suggested, but I think you're thinking along the right track.
  • MarioFortierMarioFortier Boston, MAMember Posts: 30
    edited January 2015

Ethereum's ASIC resistance relies on generalised computational power instead of specific PoW algorithms.

Actually, they are planning for a PoW algorithm for 1.0 (may be Dagger-Hashimoto) . This PoW does not run over the EVM.

The execution of the contracts (running on EVM) is likely to remain a relatively tiny part of the "work" to be done compare to the PoW.

In short, the ASIC resistance is meaningful only for the PoW part... which will eventually be replaced by PoS. No mining rigs arms race on long term.

===

In the context of PoS, a sillicon EVM might be good for reducing the execution cost for some miners. It is unlikely to become an unfair advantage since it is not a race for hash power anymore.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    Thanks Mario.

On Ethereum, does PoS = Proof of Stake (like XPY) or Proof of 'State'?
  • jpritikinjpritikin Member Posts: 29
    PoS = proof of stake
  • eaglgenes101eaglgenes101 Member Posts: 43
    Slasher requires PoW to seed its algorithm. So what will we use after we transition to proof of stake?