Power Consumption Questions and comparisons : 445w with 3 MSI 480s: hashing 80mh/s (stable)

narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
Hey Guys,

Im new to mining but Ive purchased 8 cards already. I have 3 running right now at home until the rest of the equipment arrives. Im using a kill-o-watt tool to measure my power consumption. I was tweaking the settings while watching the tool spit out the watt usage

I am running: (this is not going to be my build but im waiting for stuff to come in the mail)
i7-4790k 88w
2x 8GB DDR3
Samsung 840 SSD
3x MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB
1 EVGA P2 850w
ASrock z97 Extreme4

I'm hashing over 80mh/s constant

My watt measuring tool is telling me 445w give or take a few watts

Is this correct? Does that mean I can run potentially 5 cards on here given the statistics I'm receiving or is my tool measuring wrong? How much can be account for just the system? I don't feel like taking all of the cards out just yet...


Comments

  • MrN1ce9uyMrN1ce9uy Member Posts: 190 ✭✭
    What mining program are you using? I know with Claymore Dual-Miner I can disable a GPU by pressing the associated number for it, and by looking at my kill-a-watt it will tell me how many watts it was using after I see how much lower the total watts are.
  • orinityorinity SingaporeMember Posts: 84
    The numbers look fine to me. Are you going to build a new rig when your other GPUs arrive?
  • listmanlistman Member Posts: 51
    Narba88 - 0 to addiction in 3 days LOL
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    orinity said:

    The numbers look fine to me. Are you going to build a new rig when your other GPUs arrive?

    Yes, I have 8 cards now. 3 more on the way. I also came across some motherboards,cpu,ram setups that are ready to go.
  • listmanlistman Member Posts: 51
    I'm hitting 1250 kW to 1340 kW a month now. PG&E in my area is on a 2 tier system now then it goes to super users which I dont even want to know what the cost is. Currently I'm always in tier 2 which is 0.24 a kW so thats at least $300 a month. The only way for me to maintain this nonsense is to purchase a 20 kW solar system, pray that at least one coin is paying over $15 a day for my hash rate and pay the $21,000 system off with mining LOL. Looks like I have some decisions to make
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    edited April 2017
    listman said:

    I'm hitting 1250 kW to 1340 kW a month now. PG&E in my area is on a 2 tier system now then it goes to super users which I dont even want to know what the cost is. Currently I'm always in tier 2 which is 0.24 a kW so thats at least $300 a month. The only way for me to maintain this nonsense is to purchase a 20 kW solar system, pray that at least one coin is paying over $15 a day for my hash rate and pay the $21,000 system off with mining LOL. Looks like I have some decisions to make

    Thats a ton. Ill run this at different locations if I have too.



    Anyone have tips in getting this undervolted?

    I went from 450 for 3... to 680 for 4 GPUs. That is a HUGE JUMP.


    MrN1ce9uy said:

    What mining program are you using? I know with Claymore Dual-Miner I can disable a GPU by pressing the associated number for it, and by looking at my kill-a-watt it will tell me how many watts it was using after I see how much lower the total watts are.

    Im using Claymore Dual but running solo (see pic above)

    PS the limitations of posting on this forum can suck. Editing a post means I have to wait 5 minutes to post again :neutral:
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    edited April 2017
    Ok guys, so after correcting the voltage of my GPUs from 1.1 to .8 I still dont see a large change.
    Post edited by narba88 on
Sign In or Register to comment.