My first rig is ready and working!

indealindeal Member Posts: 12
edited April 2017 in Mining
My first rig is ready and working!

- RIG: DIY
- MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte PH67A-UD3-B3 (5xPCIe)
- CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3701 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
- RAM : 6GB
- SSD: Ocz 120GB
- PSU: EVGA 1200P2
- GPU: 3 x SAPPHIRE NITRO+ 8GB RX480 (11260-01-20)
- GPU drivers: 16.7.3
- MINING SOFTWARE: Genoils Miner
- ETH POOL: ethermine.org
- Eth wallet: in a macbook pro

And now... As you see in the images i'm mining from 61MH/s to 77MH/s Max. I know that to have more MH/s (90-95 total?) i have to mod bios and overclock the cards but after a lot (belive me A LOT) of search i'm still confused and i'm afraid of demaging the cards. I have no problem with electricity (and also with cooling the room with a/c) so i can push the cards at max but always with safety because i do not want to burn my house and my family.

So my questions are:

1) how can i mod the bios of the cards (and backup the original for the warranty) ?
2) how can i overclock the cards (with trixx or what?) ?
3) are the GPU drivers that i have good ? (16.7.3)
4) what is the best system monitor software (maybe with some mail alert for problems)?
5) how can i see what i collect from the pool and how i can change the minimum payout?
6) i have my wallet in a macbook pro. Is this good or is better to have the wallet in the same pc of mining?
7) how to backup the wallet (i just save the keystore (UTC) in a usbdisk is this ok?)
8) Can i use my miner for every day use (just mail, internet, socials networks etc..)?

Thank you!!!

Comments

• drRobertdrRobert Member Posts: 35
    yes dude 70/3 = 23 mhs it is shit with 480 good are around 30 mhs for gpu.
    What you need it is not only overclock mem to 2200 but also edit timing (without edit them you can gain around 26 mhs it is very important edit them)

I hope you don't have shit memory by micron, cause then you can't edit memory.
    I bought 470 8gb nitro, with micron on amazon and i sent back cause was micron memory.
  • indealindeal Member Posts: 12
    Where can i see the memory ?
    drRobert said:

yes dude 70/3 = 23 mhs it is shit with 480 good are around 30 mhs for gpu.
    What you need it is not only overclock mem to 2200 but also edit timing (without edit them you can gain around 26 mhs it is very important edit them)

I hope you don't have shit memory by micron, cause then you can't edit memory.
    I bought 470 8gb nitro, with micron on amazon and i sent back cause was micron memory.

Where can i see the memory ?
    So i'm lucky? ok thank you but where can i find precisious inscuctions to mod and overclock the GPUs?

• cabslockcabslock Member Posts: 38
    Yeah, samsung is good. This forum is full of topics about bios modding. For overclocking you can use Sapphires trixx
  • QuantraQuantra Member Posts: 22
    Rig looks sweet! What did you use for the frame?

Next job get the bios flashed on those cards, copy 1750 mem timings to 2000. Just don't try downloading a bios for another card and flashing that. I found this guide easy to follow: https://steemit.com/ethereum/@yogibear/mine-more-ethereum-with-rx470-rx480-bios-mods

Then use WattTool or trixx or whatever oc software works for you and try reducing core clock, reducing core voltage, increasing mem clock and decreasing mem voltage. There are lots of posts on this but really every card is different so you have to find what works for you. Again I was new to this last week and now know worst I will do is get a blue screen of death if I underclock too much. Perhaps you can overvolt and damage things.

Then after messing with this stuff for a week or two my rig is running faster and cooler ;) Your cards are very popular and strong cards so you should get some good results and have loads of resources.

cabslock said:

Yeah, samsung is good. This forum is full of topics about bios modding. For overclocking you can use Sapphires trixx

For overclocking can you tell me please with trixx what i have to change with the exactly numbers? Have i to stop mining to overclock GPU? Can i do first overclock and after bios modding or is the same?

Thanks!
    Quantra said:

Rig looks sweet! What did you use for the frame?

Next job get the bios flashed on those cards, copy 1750 mem timings to 2000. Just don't try downloading a bios for another card and flashing that. I found this guide easy to follow: https://steemit.com/ethereum/@yogibear/mine-more-ethereum-with-rx470-rx480-bios-mods

Then use WattTool or trixx or whatever oc software works for you and try reducing core clock, reducing core voltage, increasing mem clock and decreasing mem voltage. There are lots of posts on this but really every card is different so you have to find what works for you. Again I was new to this last week and now know worst I will do is get a blue screen of death if I underclock too much. Perhaps you can overvolt and damage things.

Then after messing with this stuff for a week or two my rig is running faster and cooler ;) Your cards are very popular and strong cards so you should get some good results and have loads of resources.

I used aluminium (23mm) with plastic connectors and iron holed grid. Is very nice and also if you want you can add others rigs above.

I ask you the same question that i asked cabslock. Can you give me the numbers of overclocking?

Thanks!
  • cabslockcabslock Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2017
    How much you can overclock depends on your exact GPU, some 480-s go to max 2250, some crash before that. Just start raising your clocks by 50 MHZ and see how far you can go.
    You don't have to stop mining to overclock.
    But if you wanna modify the bios, then set the core and momery clock back to default, then mod the bios and start experimenting with different clocks again.
    @yodi gave me some pointers in my first thread here https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/11655/1st-rig-unstable-please-help

I think pretty good first method is something like the following:

core clock 1200
    core voltage 1000

memclock 2000
    memvoltage 960

Your hashrate should be similar to that at stock but lower power and temps due to underclocking core clock.

Now bring up the memclock until its unstable then wind it back a notch, this will improve hashrate. Then drop core clock until hashrate drops then wind it back a notch. Then drop voltages until unstable and wind back a notch.

Basically you need fast enough core clock for the speed you set on the memory but no more. It really depends on the card though and even if the same make/model they will be different.

Before doing this you need to change memory timings by flashing the bios. For me flashing bios got +4.5Mh/s and changing clock speeds around +1Mh/s and any attempt at clocking before bios flash was unstable for me.

There are also custom roms out there that will do the clocking and timing all in one go just search the forums for them. IMO it's better to do your own clocking due to each card being slightly different.

Someone may correct me on all this as I am new too and lots of learning to do =]

Thanks a lot @Quantra i'll try the mod and after the overclocking. Which pool do you use ?
    No probs =] I'm still testing pools. I started on https://nanopool.org/ and now trying https://www.alpereum.ch they seem pretty similar. I like the idea of alpereum variable difficulty but I will switch back to nanopool to compare again and maybe try some others too.

Let us know how you get on with the bios and clocks =]