6 GPU rig build plan - opinion please?

pitt23pitt23 Member Posts: 20
edited March 2017 in Mining
Hey guys, about to build my first GPU rig, mostly to mine ETH.

GPUs - 6 x SAPPHIRE 8 GB RADEON RX 480 GDDR5/PCI Express 3.0
Motherboard - MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ATX Motherboard - Intel Z170 DDR4 - LGA1151 Socket B/O

The reason for that motherboard is the H81 & H97 Anniversary are both out of stock everywhere (Only the closely named H97M Anniversary is available, which is nowhere near as good and hardly any PCIe slots) , in the UK the only one available 6 GPU motherboard recommended for mining seems to be this one. I looked at the but that seems to have less PCIe ports, and I definitely want all 6 GPUs running..

CPU - Intel Celeron G3930 - 2.9GHz Dual Core Socket 1151 Processor
RAM - HyperX Fury Black Series 4 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM Memory Module (Skylake Compatible)
Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 1300 W G2 Series 80+ Gold PC Power Supply Unit
HD - Kingston 60GB SSD Harddisk
Risers - USB 3.0 PCI-E Express 1x to 16x Extender Riser Card SATA Power Cable Adapter
Power supplybutton - 67" Desktop Computer Case Power Supply Reset HDD Button Switch
Power Monitoring - Plug In LCD Meter Monitor Power Energy Kwh Volts Electricity Consumption Usage
PCIe video card power cables - 6 x Startech 6 inch SATA Power to 6-Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter

The case I'll build myself.
How do you guys feel this will perform? any modifications you would suggest? apart from the fact I can't get the H81 motherboard which of course would be my first choice. I've spent so much time researching motherboards and problems, MSI Z170A seems like a fairly safe choice?

Post edited by pitt23 on

Comments

• emperorneroemperornero Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2017
    You could actually run 7 GPUs with this board.

You don't modify anything but the bios, there are other threads that can help you with this.

You'll need a bigger hard drive. With the 16 GB pagefile and 8 Gig hiberfile you won't have enough space unless you're using linux. It doesn't have to be an SSD, you're not going to be running anything but mining software on the rig, so startup times wont matter.

PSU is a bit overkill. Get a platinum efficiency 1000w unless you get that 7th card, then a 1200w will do.

The power monitor you're buying will only be useful for initial set up to tell you what it's all drawing. The cards won't fluctuate while mining.

You don't need those Sata to PCIe cables.
  • pitt23pitt23 Member Posts: 20
    Thank you for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

Does the difference in PSU between the one I'm suggesting and the ones you are, change anything in terms of energy consumption for better or worse? I found there wasn't a great deal difference in price.

I read from quite a few different sources that 60GB would be fine, are you 100% sure it will not be enough? If so I'll probably have to return the 60GB file and and get the 120GB.

Thanks for the headsup on the 7 GPUs. I had seen it, but felt it would be overkill on the rest of the hardware.

• BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The supernova G2 1300w is a great PSU. I've got another being delivered tomorrow they're very good value for money. I also use EVGA 1000 G3 they are brilliant too. Shame 1000w is the max at the moment till they release new model.

No offence but take the suggestions of using platinum or titanium PSU with a big pinch of salt. It sounds like a good idea but I've done the measurements and the actual maths (with spreadsheets!)and the extra 2% efficiency will take over 3 years at full load to pay back the 50%+ price premium. (depends exactly on your electric costs) So that's ~3 years just to get back the extra money you spend, let alone be in any sort of profit/improvement. Gold is the best value by far.

Max efficiency of that PSU is between 300w and 900w so if you run the 6 cards optimised with bios mods at up to 900w you'll be getting great 92% efficiency.

People who run 1000w platinum PSU at 950w actually get 92% efficiency and have paid $$ more for it. Be clever, buy a much cheaper gold PSU and run it at 40-70% load for max efficiency.

Only problem I've found with EVGA PSU is they only come with 5 molex connectors. Please do not use the SATA to molex or SATA to PCIE connectors as they are not rated to take the kind of current draw graphics cards can use (depends if your undervolting and going for efficiency, or overvolting and overclocking and going for max hashrate) Just be careful plenty of fires have been started by SATA connectors even when using with hard disks sometimes.

Also don't power your GFX card PCIE 6 or 8 pin connectors with SATA convertors or you probably will smell burning plastic at some point. You should be good to run 2 x cards of 1 x 8+8pin as they use thick gauge wire towards the bottom of the cable.

Other than that as mentioned 60GB SSD does not give you much room, I think you'd be OK but a 120GB would be better, I only use 120GB (or 240 if I can get them cheap) for future proofing no matter what coin what algoritm what quirks with virtual memory you should be fine with 120GB.

Have fun!
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    I like the new pcie powered risers
  • CryptoManiacCryptoManiac Member Posts: 49
    Yo man!

60 GB is more then enough for windows 10. I got 60 gb ssd with 20 gb page file and still 16 gb of free space.

I heard that people got problems with mobo on Z170 chipset. They cannot detect more then 5 gpus but I dunno. Didn't tested yet. Maybe someone with this mobo will confirm that they are working good? I also looking for fresh mobo with 7 gpu working stable.

Good and big PSU is always good idea. You can always put 7'th gpu with dual mining and will be fine.
    BUTUZ said:

The supernova G2 1300w is a great PSU. I've got another being delivered tomorrow they're very good value for money. I also use EVGA 1000 G3 they are brilliant too. Shame 1000w is the max at the moment till they release new model.

No offence but take the suggestions of using platinum or titanium PSU with a big pinch of salt. It sounds like a good idea but I've done the measurements and the actual maths (with spreadsheets!)and the extra 2% efficiency will take over 3 years at full load to pay back the 50%+ price premium. (depends exactly on your electric costs) So that's ~3 years just to get back the extra money you spend, let alone be in any sort of profit/improvement. Gold is the best value by far.

Max efficiency of that PSU is between 300w and 900w so if you run the 6 cards optimised with bios mods at up to 900w you'll be getting great 92% efficiency.

People who run 1000w platinum PSU at 950w actually get 92% efficiency and have paid $$ more for it. Be clever, buy a much cheaper gold PSU and run it at 40-70% load for max efficiency.

Only problem I've found with EVGA PSU is they only come with 5 molex connectors. Please do not use the SATA to molex or SATA to PCIE connectors as they are not rated to take the kind of current draw graphics cards can use (depends if your undervolting and going for efficiency, or overvolting and overclocking and going for max hashrate) Just be careful plenty of fires have been started by SATA connectors even when using with hard disks sometimes.

Also don't power your GFX card PCIE 6 or 8 pin connectors with SATA convertors or you probably will smell burning plastic at some point. You should be good to run 2 x cards of 1 x 8+8pin as they use thick gauge wire towards the bottom of the cable.

Other than that as mentioned 60GB SSD does not give you much room, I think you'd be OK but a 120GB would be better, I only use 120GB (or 240 if I can get them cheap) for future proofing no matter what coin what algoritm what quirks with virtual memory you should be fine with 120GB.

Have fun!

Thanks a lot for that great info.
    It appears I've overlooked the molex part, I don't fully understand the issue. Is there something else I should be ordering that I've missed in relation to this?
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    pitt23 said:

BUTUZ said:

Have fun!

Thanks a lot for that great info.
    It appears I've overlooked the molex part, I don't fully understand the issue. Is there something else I should be ordering that I've missed in relation to this?
    The last time I checked, there are extra 8pin + 6pin pcie evga psu cables on ebay and if you get the new pcie powered risers (can look on amazon), you will have enough pcie and molex to power the risers without sata
  • cryptorexcryptorex Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2017
    Any thoughts on running 6x 470s (undervolted) with the EVGA 1000 G3? I see it only has 5 VGA connectors but I know you can connect more than one card. I would have to have 2 cards on one VGA connector cable. Anyone run into issues with that? My first rig has a 1300 G2 and its one-to-one for VGA. Kind of nervous to put 2 470s on one line.

edit: It looks like 4 cards would be on same VGA port cause the PSU comes with:

-3x cables with 2x 8pin connectors, and
    -2x cables with 1x 8pin connectors
  • dragonmikedragonmike Member Posts: 17
    If I may make a suggestion... you could avoid the HDD/SSD alltogether. Use a 8GB USB stick and put a linux-based mining distro on it (like "Pimp"). Super easy to use, and you save money. Plus, less headache with multi-GPU support. Back when I mined full time, Windows would just refuse to work with more than 5 GPUs. In Pimp, not a single issue.

I like the new pcie powered risers

Please could you send me a link? Thanks.