How to add a 7th GPU on MSI M97 Gaming 5

bhanu545bhanu545 Member Posts: 53
As somebody stated we could connect 7 gpus in MSI M97 gaming 5 mobo, i bought it and it really has 7 pci e slots. But the problem is it dsnt work when the 7th gpu is connected. I tried all the DDU, swapping risers, gpus to check if slots are the problem but nothing works.
So, problem is after inserting 7th gpu and turning on, i see a frozen screen with 100s of colours on monitor. Thats it nothing else works. If i remove the any 1 gpu and then system boots.
What are people doing to make the 7th gpu work?

Comments

• hawkfish007hawkfish007 Member Posts: 7
    Boot to bios setting (DEL), change PCI-e ports to GEN1 and then 8x4x4x and voila 7th GPU will appear!
  • bhanu545bhanu545 Member Posts: 53

Boot to bios setting (DEL), change PCI-e ports to GEN1 and then 8x4x4x and voila 7th GPU will appear!

I see PCI-e 0,1,2 and CPU PCIE which shows 8x4x4. is that it?

By the way i did that and my pc still dsnt even start, it shows a multi coloured frozen screen. what should i set the pcie latency timer to?
  • mikeminermikeminer Member Posts: 38
    Yes. set in bios like @hawkfish007 mentioned. Also make sure you run on Windows 10.
  • kpskps Member Posts: 23
    i use z97 g43, and i had to set pci as gen 1, disable audio and lan to get 7 cards running, but i'm running a usb wifi card, without that using onboard lan was fine, also make sure you have at least 16gb page file or miner wont be able to load the dag properly
  • SunyataSunyata Member Posts: 35
    I had a MSI Gaming 5 where the 4th PCIE slot was bad. Just make sure you sent PCIE ports to Gen 1, and also change the latency to 96 PCI Bus Clocks. After doing that everything should boot fine and all gpus should be available, if all 7 aren't available I'd start looking for bad ports/risers.
    I set the pci to gen 1 and bus clock 64, 96. But still i see a frozen screen. Dnt know if its a problem from the card.
    Anyways this is motherboard pcie slot problem as 1 pcie slot always make me trouble and i ise the other one and thats why when i use 7 gpus it wnt work. Have to return the 7th one now. Whats a waste of time n money for me.
    This is a total garbage mobo. I bought same mobo again and exchanged a card,riser already and still 7th gpu wont work. tried different bios settings. disabled windows boot. the screen just freezes with 100s of colours as soon as pc boots. Mobo dsnt like 7gpus at all no matter what settings I use. Now am left with a extra card damnit.
    Anyone know what to do for this faking bios to recognize 7 cards?
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @bhanu545 after you get 7 GPUs spun up and seemingly detected at boot level, install windows from scratch. In stuborn "WHY THE HELL WON'T THIS xth CARD WORK" cases, this has worked for me almost every time.

Or it might also be a power problem - I presume you've got plenty of juice?
    edited November 2016
    Finally i got to make this work lol :# . :#o:) Disabled hd graphics and changed to PEG and restart computer connecting hdmi to card worked. Thank god my days n days of time spent dint go wasted.
    Thing is mobo dsnt detect more than 7graphic controllers at max where intel hdgraphics was one of it so all these days i couldnt get the 7th gpu work which would make it a 8th one.
  • Mr_xMr_x Member Posts: 7
    Fantastic! I saw in another thread where someone had suggested to disable the onboard gpu when OP had artifacts! I'm glad you made it to the end of the tunnel, hopefully I will soon follow!
  • YasserYasser Member Posts: 2
    bhanu545 said:

Finally i got to make this work lol :# . :#o:) Disabled hd graphics and changed to PEG and restart computer connecting hdmi to card worked. Thank god my days n days of time spent dint go wasted.
    Thing is mobo dsnt detect more than 7graphic controllers at max where intel hdgraphics was one of it so all these days i couldnt get the 7th gpu work which would make it a 8th one.

could you please explain it in detail ... I tried it but it didn't work for me
    Yasser said:

bhanu545 said:

could you please explain it in detail ... I tried it but it didn't work for me
    If you can explain your problem in detailed i can try to help you mate
  • dbgurudbguru Member Posts: 15
    @hawkfish007 thank you, I was about to beat this fricking mb to pieces when I read this.

Couldn't get the 7th card to work. Just applied the bios changes, rebooted, and its hashing away with 7 x Sapphire RX 470's at 190 mh/s !

Will see if this lasts, it normally drops 1 or more cards after a few minutes or hours randomly
  • yodiyodi Member Posts: 265 ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    dbguru said:

@hawkfish007 thank you, I was about to beat this fricking mb to pieces when I read this.

Couldn't get the 7th card to work. Just applied the bios changes, rebooted, and its hashing away with 7 x Sapphire RX 470's at 190 mh/s !

Will see if this lasts, it normally drops 1 or more cards after a few minutes or hours randomly

seek which card is lost , order of gpu sux in claymore , i got 2 gpu hang on at begin , i have spoted them with MSI AB , it were resetting the negative core voltage to 0. so i get clocks a bit lower. i don't know rx470 yet ... but low by 30 memory clock to test . it s better to have bit low Hashrate and running all time :)
    now i m running on win10 so nice
    @yodi rig run for 10 min at 190 mh/s and then I got exactly what you said, GPU2 0.00 mh/s , then couldn't get that GPU to hash no matter what I did. Eventually, I pulled the cmos battery out and reset the bios. Now running with the modded bios with the default clocks 1216/1750 and each card hashing at around 25.4 mh/s , changed to dual mining decred and getting 170 mh/s eth and 2560 mh/s decred since last night around 9pm.

I just have to make peace that these cards run stable at ~25 mh/s and getting much more is just not worth the sheer brain damage.
    What I've discovered is that the order of the cards in sapphire trixx means nothing, if claymore says GPU1 stopped, its not the 2nd GPU in the list. You you can feel the fans of the cards to figure out which one is not working or you can cycle thru the cards in trix until you find a GPU with 0 load. I also learnt that you can press the number on the keyboard while the miner is on focus and that disables that gpu, then you can cycle thru the gpu's on trix and find the one that has 0% gpu load to figure out which one it is.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @dbguru "-di detect" option in claymore can help with that - no need to do it manually.
  • xhanziixhanzii Member Posts: 11
    hi,

Can u any els help me with sapphire rx 470 8gb Memory Micron, i need to up Mh now for etherum 24.5mh and i need to up 27-28mh

Bios Original: http://www.filedropper.com/rx470ogbiosatiwinfllash

Thank You.
    edited March 2017
    Hi men , just get this mobo to set up 7 x msi 470 4g
    i just replace my h81btc pro with 6 of those gpu , i was dual mining at 168mh/s (ETH) and around 2400 Mh/s (DCR) for only 840w and really stable ... just install this card with axactly same stuff (same ssd , ram , etc) ! and i am at 960w at the wall.
    damm mobo how can it consume so much more ?
    Post edited by yodi on
    it was a wattTool issue , think it don't take care of the setup for downvolt ... ouf .
    fixed downvolt wasn't take in consideration in wTool