URGENT ALL MINERS: DoS Attack

2»

Comments

• chrizzochrizzo GermanyMember Posts: 131 ✭✭
    i updated to latest geth manually, but now the same ram blow up! waiting for 4.1.16 release!
  • RabassoRabasso Member Posts: 151 ✭✭
    @EthereumMinereu you probably have a HDD, change it to SSD and that should make things go way faster, but you still need to increase the cache to the apps, even Parity im running with 2gb of cache memory to be able to work properly.
  • EthereumMinereuEthereumMinereu Member Posts: 42
    No i have SSD in my VPS :) Got it working now
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Rabasso said:

@EthereumMinereu you probably have a HDD, change it to SSD and that should make things go way faster, but you still need to increase the cache to the apps, even Parity im running with 2gb of cache memory to be able to work properly.

@Rabasso I'm running on an SSD on geth and can't get it to sync. I'm on the latest version and still getting the DAO fork-check dropping error. Any guides on how to fix this?
    @SIRacer09 I was getting that and was quite stuck...so changed to parity, and since then i'm smiling, good support too, to get things running. sry dude im a noob so cant get very technical.

Im running a HDD, bad for this bug but im sailing along, when i use parity i use this setting to make things go faster.

parity --cache-size-db 2048 --gas-floor-target 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000 --gas-cap 1500000
    @ethermine_rocks this for sure will accelerate the transition to PoS, miner days are numbered as we know it, this attack has cost the mining community a lot more than what has been mentioned on reddit, so the gain for 1 miner and the possible loss of the network as we know it, peachy. IP reputation that should have come handy in this case.
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I saw a comment calling for another fork? lol. So is this what ETH has come down to? Fork every time there is an issue?
  • SpydrMstrmndSpydrMstrmnd Member Posts: 73
    Calivet said:

I saw a comment calling for another fork? lol. So is this what ETH has come down to? Fork every time there is an issue?

Yes...and there's nothing wrong with that if done well.

I thought the attack would push PoS into the future vs speed it's arrival, although I can see the counter argument as well. For what it's worth a clean house going into PoS is much preferred to chaos and community dissatisfaction, but maybe that's wishful thinking.
    @Calivet forks like this don't indicate anything, but the will of the community to not put with the crap of few that are gaining by making this happen. think about it. network is crawling because people don't update their stuff. the attackers are getting away with $$$$$ everyday making blocks like crazy while we patch up this. I'm good with a hard fork to stop this madness, time, hardware, electricity wasted....the transition to POS will not be soon because of this, it will be next year, probably in the summer so yes a fix needs to be introduced. pronto. Tons of Dapp development is being halted because of this and that along with big operation trying to use this tech right now, that is more damaging to Ethereum than a hardfork.
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Rabasso said:

@Calivet forks like this don't indicate anything, but the will of the community to not put with the crap of few that are gaining by making this happen. think about it. network is crawling because people don't update their stuff. the attackers are getting away with $$$$$ everyday making blocks like crazy while we patch up this. I'm good with a hard fork to stop this madness, time, hardware, electricity wasted....the transition to POS will not be soon because of this, it will be next year, probably in the summer so yes a fix needs to be introduced. pronto. Tons of Dapp development is being halted because of this and that along with big operation trying to use this tech right now, that is more damaging to Ethereum than a hardfork.

The latest clients doesn't provide full solution against the attackers, they just don't crash (yet) and the network is operating.
    The attackers are still getting a sh1tload of ether by empty block mining.
  • CalivetCalivet Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    so the difficulty is still rising while the community is struggling to mine? What CENTS does that make?
  • JimBrownJimBrown Member Posts: 10
    Get the latest version from github and if you re-sync use the --fast and --cache=1024 (or higher if your RAM can handle it).
  • HasLuxHasLux Member Posts: 48
    HasLux said:

As a member of this community and a miner I decided to do something last night to help thwart the DDOS attempts and ensure the integrity of our block chain. Last night things got so bad I couldn't synch at all. In response I leased 10 super powerfull 24 core 48 thread servers with massive amounts of memory and synced them as quickly as possible. Each one has a dedicated GBPS connection and are going to stay up 24/7. I will be supporting the EIPS security update(hard fork) on these new nodes. Lol DDOS attack tried to hurt the network and because of my dedication and others like me in the community we are now stronger and have 10 new Super Node backbones. I would like to thank the transaction spammer for pulling us closer togeather as a distant team with a common goal. Ethereums global computer is the future for all of us so getting a solid founation at this stage is important for future scalability.

Almost forgot, if your trying to synch it's much easier to synch your private node off a list of dedicated super nodes. If you need to use one of my nodes to get synced up quickly message me and I'll be happy to provide an inodeurl for you. These are freshly compiled parity 1.4 nodes. I'll be launching some geth nodes today bit that will take longer to synch without an updated snapshot. These dedicated bare metal servers are not cheap so if your interested in supporting my efforts please message me and I'll send you a donation eth address. This has hit my overhead hard but is worth it to support the community as a whole. I also want to provide a transaction relay service through these nodes so any pointers on getting a website set up that integrates with the JSON RPC on my nodes to allow you to submit signed transactions to the network if your struggling to get synced would be h e lpful as well.
  • ethermine_rocksethermine_rocks Member Posts: 228
    untill POS you mean :-)

untill POS you mean :-)

I intend to virtual mine on POS. I have my deposits ready. Therefore, these nodes will stay up as long as my corporation can afford the overhead. Since I intend to participate in POS mining it is in my interest and the interests of the entire network to keep these 10 new nodes operational. Besides, I'm sure many of us have large ETH holdings and a stronger network means a stronger valued ETH. I hope this attacker had a short position open and looses a fortune from my efforts, others efforts, and the up coming security fork early next week. I will upgrade my nodes immediately once the code is verified and released.

Remote monitoring two of my full super nodes(publicly available) while at the same time synching my private node to the block chain to thereby letting my super nodes handle the transaction work, taking to load off my local private node. I'm still working on getting up some geth full nodes. But as you can see from the screen shot (Top left and right xterms) the full nodes stay fully synched. I have 8 more running besides these two and they are all daomonized and stay up 24/7 to support the network. I'm working on doubling that number for a light client project that I will be working on once i've built the infastructure. These new nodes should help with quicker transaction confirmations for those of you who have been waiting and waiting. These are simply honest confirmation nodes I put up to ensure the block chain remains intact because they can handle the tx spam like it didnt even exhists.

Question for dev team: Do I need to do any additional upgrades or updates to these new nodes to support the EIPS 150 security update or has it already been implimented in the latest geth/parity client builds. I built these from source 2 days ago running parity 1.4.x
    @HasLux i hope you will inspire others with your moves, thank you!
    rmh said:

@HasLux i hope you will inspire others with your moves, thank you!

My pleasure. Ethereum is far more than just a crypto currency. Its a multiple phase project to a torrent complete computer system and this is the first community ever that is willing to do what it takes to get us their. No other community can react and reach consesus so quickly. People keep trying to compare us to bitcoin but there community strives to be a digital gold. Ethereums goals are to enhance technology and to change the world. Were obviosly shaking somebodys tree up because of the constant contract attacks. This DDOs attack is really a replofation torrent complete computer virus and the upcoming hard fork is like the antivirus where we build up antibodies to resist that type of attack. What we need is a torrent complete antivirus contract that all other code has to run through first to look for virus signatures prior to placing it in the block chain. I suppose this will be more eqsily implimented during serenity but would make more sense to impliment now while the basement is still being cleaned up.

Im in the process of learning solidity now so i can start creating open sourced library contracts for fututegenerations to us. Ive been programming for over 20 years now. I think i can monitize my code by charging a small fee per function(contract) call.
  • XavierDebecqXavierDebecq Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Hello everybody,

I am new to mining ethereum, i need some help and i think its related to this attack. I try to get the full chain and i have problem at the block 2283415. After some search i read that it was necessary to downgrade geth. I did it and i am now rebuilding the blockchain. I was wondering if my version number was correct to overcome that problem
    My geth version is 1.4.18 and before downgrade it was 1.5.9. If that doesnt work what do i have to do ? Can someone tell me if there is a recent blockchain that i could import somewhere (always find one with 1.5 millions blocks need something closer) ?
    I m running on linux.
    Post edited by XavierDebecq on
  • XavierDebecqXavierDebecq Member Posts: 2
    Hello again. I succeeded to pass the previous block. I successfully mined to 2287673 and got the same problem than previously. Is there any place where i can get help ?
    Try to delete the whole chaindata and start geth with --fast.
    You don't need to downgrade, in 1.5.2 or newer, this issue is completely fixed.