Worth Building a Rig Now?

CameronSCameronS Member Posts: 46
After not pulling the trigger last October is it still worth it to build a rig now with how high ethereum is? My build would probably be 6x Nitro+ Rx470s 8gb. I'm scared that the POS will be late 2017 and result in me maybe at best breaking even on expenses.

Comments

• mine_ethmine_eth Member Posts: 45
    In my opinion it is! If ETH goes POS, there will be other currencies to mine.

As for the cards, there really isn't any advantage of 8gb vs 4gb. Just a bit higher power draw on the 8gb.

I could suggest that you get gigabyte 470 that go for 160 each on NewEgg. They get around 27MHs
  • CameronSCameronS Member Posts: 46
    mine_eth said:

As for the cards, there really isn't any advantage of 8gb vs 4gb. Just a bit higher power draw on the 8gb.

I could suggest that you get gigabyte 470 that go for 160 each on NewEgg. They get around 27MHs

Would there be any modifying guides to get them possibly to 29 or 30?
    CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

I am running 5 480 4gb Nitro+ cards at 27.7 MHs. I have been able to get 31/32 MHs from those cards, but at much higher power draw and more incorrect shares, which for me makes no sense. I'd much rather have them running cooler, with lower power draw, and a bit lower but stable hasrate, than force the cards to 31Mhs.

As for the modding process, it is more or less same as all the other cards. Once you have the rig up and running, you will learn tons of stuff.
    mine_eth said:

CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

I am running 5 480 4gb Nitro+ cards at 27.7 MHs. I have been able to get 31/32 MHs from those cards, but at much higher power draw and more incorrect shares, which for me makes no sense. I'd much rather have them running cooler, with lower power draw, and a bit lower but stable hasrate, than force the cards to 31Mhs.

As for the modding process, it is more or less same as all the other cards. Once you have the rig up and running, you will learn tons of stuff.
    Makes sense, so it's not worth paying for the 8gb version of the gigabyte 470s?
    CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

IMO its not worth at all to pay extra for the 8gb version. My cards are from the batch with 8gb memory, but modified BIOS to use only 4. When I did unlock the those 8gb of memory, I did not gain anything. Infact, there was a little drop in performance and a bit of increased power draw.

mine_eth said:

CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

IMO its not worth at all to pay extra for the 8gb version. My cards are from the batch with 8gb memory, but modified BIOS to use only 4. When I did unlock the those 8gb of memory, I did not gain anything. Infact, there was a little drop in performance and a bit of increased power draw.

Okay, thank you for your help! I will order just one here soon to test it out and see how it does. Anything I need to do in particular to get that MH or is it straight out of box?
    CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

CameronS said:

mine_eth said:

Okay, thank you for your help! I will order just one here soon to test it out and see how it does. Anything I need to do in particular to get that MH or is it straight out of box?
    You need to flash a new bios. There are plenty of tutorials for that on this forum. You will find your way