Selling on Ebay? Watch out for potential scam!

AbcedarianAbcedarian Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
I recently sold an R9 390 on Ebay. Took it off my rig and shipped it warm in the original packaging. 28 days later customer claims it arrived DOA. I claimed BS but paid the return shipping prepared to take it in the . The item was returned from a third party. It was a different GPU in a box that didn't even match!

I would like to suggest that you include the serial number of the item you are shipping in the description. Perhaps even a picture of the label and serial number from the GPU.

Comments

• ETGoHomeETGoHome Member Posts: 36
    Nope, it does not matter, i boycotted ebay long time ago because ebay favor buyers. PERIOD! It does not matter what you do as long as the buyer provides a return tracking number, you are screwed.

Happened to me before. I even ask ebay customer service when I tried to appeal, saying "what if the buyer ships back a brick?" Ebay said as long as there is a tracking number, buyer wins. I said "I can even provide photos of buyer shipping a different product back." Ebay said that I can alter the photos, and nothing Ebay can do about it, it is just how the buyer protection works. There is no way to prove to ebay what you received back unless the product gets shipped to ebay themselves, which they probably won't allow. Because anyone can alter what's in the package and make a photo/video evidence, so ebay can't use it as proof.

Spread the word, boycott ebay.
  • nuhanenunuhanenu Member Posts: 23
    I quess only way to not get scammed at ebay is not to sell there.

Another way to atleast minimize risks are to sell only to a reputable buyer with a clean and long feedback-sheet.

I´m not sure what happens if one refuses to sell to someone who won the auction but I´m sure it´s less bad than getting scammed for 100 of dollars..
    @nuhanenu Nope, another wrong ebay assumption, boycott ebay PERIOD!

The ebayer buyer that scammed me had over 100+ feedbacks and 100% positive with 4+ years of history. Buyers can not receive negative feedback anymore. So buyer's can just stack up positive feedbacks with no negative impact. I left a positive feedback to the scammer with a negative comment, and the buyer was able to get eBay to remove my comment. EBAY is a shaddy company.

The only way to minimize ebay risk is to not sell on ebay PERIOD! Help spread the word, need ebay to change their policies.
  • toothalicioustoothalicious Member Posts: 37
    ETGoHome said:

The ebayer buyer that scammed me had over 100+ feedbacks and 100% positive with 4+ years of history. Buyers can not receive negative feedback anymore. So buyer's can just stack up positive feedbacks with no negative impact. I left a positive feedback to the scammer with a negative comment, and the buyer was able to get eBay to remove my comment. EBAY is a shaddy company.

The only way to minimize ebay risk is to not sell on ebay PERIOD! Help spread the word, need ebay to change their policies.

where would you suggest selling your used gpus then?
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 333 ✭✭

ETGoHome said:

where would you suggest selling your used gpus then?
    craigslist or local places, face to face is much better IMO
    edited February 2017
    @toothalicious

Craigslist, and Ebay with local pick up option only.

For the ebay local pick up option, once you communicate with the local winning buyer, say you prefer payment with cash in person. Once you receive cash from a local ebay pickup, there is nothing the buyer can do to you because if buyer files a wrong product or defective item claim, you can just say buyer never paid. If buyer refuses to pay locally, and wants to pay online through ebay/paypal, say sorry, you no longer have the item and re-list.

Because if the buyer pays through ebay/paypal, then they have the upper hand in screwing you over.

I did this to prevent scammers and 100% risk free transaction.

Hope this helps.
  • toothalicioustoothalicious Member Posts: 37
    @ETGoHome yeah I guess thats the smart way to go! Thanks
  • bhanu545bhanu545 Member Posts: 53
    This is exactly what everybody does on EBAY SCAM SITE. I sold 1 of my rx 470 and 2 weeks later after using the card, buyer started saying it got spoiled and will return it.
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭