Please rate my rig and offer advice.

shanefontaineshanefontaine Member Posts: 7
Hi all. The following is my reasoning and justification for each component..

Goal:
Mine Ethereum until PoS, then switch to another PoW coin. Because of this, my goal was to create a versatile, future-proof station. For now, I will start with 2 GPUs, with the end goal of scaling up to 6 after I have 2 up and running. I am trying to get a relatively quiet (compared to all mining setups), and adaptable rig.

Justifications:
GPUs chosen for their hash rate, power consumption, and convinence of guides online
Motherboard (from simpleblend blog) - standard and versatile
CPU (from simpleblend blog) - standard
PSU - Ran the numbers and figured I will never (even with 6 GPU) hit >1200W
Risers (from simplebleng blog) - standard
RAM - Standard. Leftover from other projects.
SSD - Standard
Power Switch - For Debugging
Fans - I am looking for a quiet way of cooling. These fans seem to be made for silence. The plan is to buy a few and blow on the hot parts.

Questions:
I have seen (in multiple places) that it is better to use 2 smaller PSU rather than 1 bigger one. Is there science behind this?
Will this setup have any issues scaling from 2 GPU to 6?
Is there any other way to reduce noise out of this rig? Will the GPUs produce the most noise of anything on here?
What is the difference between a 4GB GPU and 8GB? Any benefit inside/outside of Ethereum?

I have done diligent research and come up with the following rig:

2 - XFX Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 RX480M8BFA6 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

1 - ASRock Motherboard ATX DDR3 1066 LGA 1150 H81 PRO BTC

1 - Intel Celeron G1840 Processor - BX80646G1840

2 - 2x PCI-E PCI Express 1x to 16x

3 - 3x PCI-E 1X to 16X

1 - PCI-E Micro PCI Express 16X

1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 220-P2-1200-X1

1 - HDE PC Case Power Push Button Cable ATX Computer On/Off 23" 60cm Switch Wire

1 - Kingston Digital 120GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 Solid State Drive (SV300S37A/120G)

2 - 4GB DDR3

X - Small, Silent Fans

1 - Linux OS

Case - Custom

Thank you!

My References:
https://blog.simpleblend.net/building-an-ethereum-mining-rig/
http://www.coinminingrigs.com/how-to-build-a-6-gpu-mining-rig/

Best Answer

Answers