Strange Behavior With Asrock H81 PRO BTC R2.0

DrawdeDrawde Member Posts: 32
Powering on for the first time with this MB and a Pentium CPU the PSU fans come on only for an brief instant (less than one second) along with the CPU cooler fan and then stop with no further activity. It will do this each time I turn the PSU off and back on. I tried two other PSUs with the same results. It's a 750W Corsair PSU and a Pentium G3258.

Have you ever experienced this during a build?

There was only an 8GB DDR3 RAM stick and a 120 GB Sata SSD connected at the time. I tried to remove the RAM and SSD but no change. I am assuming at this point it is a bad MB or CPU but not sure what to try next. I'm planning to return the MB to Newegg and will get a replacement but wondered if anyone else has any ideas whether it could be something else I'm missing. I initially connected the 24 pin CPU and 4+4 CPU cable along with the molex 12V for the extra PCIe power. I'm not sure if possibly plugging in the molex PCIe cable was a mistake since I didn't have any GPU's connected yet at the time. I unplugged it right away after the initial power on.

Comments

• agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 293 mod
    I've never had a problem with this motherboard, but it's possible that you got a defective one. I don't think it would have been from having the molex plugged in. Also, when you do use the molex for extra power, make sure you have both plugged in. The one on the top and the one on the side.

So, return the motherboard and try see if the new one works.
  • OverconOvercon Member Posts: 37
    Yes, it's a grounding issue. Somewhere your motherboard is shorting against something. I just setup as ASROCk mini ITX MB and had the exact same thing you are encountering. I did the normal trouble shooting steps. unplugged everything except the PS and a power switch to turn the MB on and still the same thing.

Then I pulled the board out of the case and powered it up, same thing. Then I took the bracket off for the custom CPU fan and just ran it with the CPU fan setting on the CPU (I took the back panel off that the fan screws down to) and walla, the MB started up, had video and everything.

So I took some rubber stoppers that came with the CPU fan and put them between the mounting bracket on the back of the MB and screwed the CPU fan down and the system continued to boot. Then I put it back in the case and it still booted and then I attached everything and it still booted.

So my problem was, the mounting bracket for the CPU fan on the underside of the MB was shorting against something on the board and using the rubber stoppers as a buffer prevented the shorting and the system worked fine.

So if I were you, that is where I would look next.
  • DrawdeDrawde Member Posts: 32
    I took the MB out of the case and sat it on the box it came it. Then I took the CPU fan off and sat it beside the MB but kept it plugged into the MB. Still no go, fans start up for a fraction of a second and then stop. I'm not sure if a short somewhere can fry the MB as may have happened here. Any possibility it could be a bum CPU? I'm struggling for something to try differently next time since I already sent this one back.
    agent412 said:

I've never had a problem with this motherboard, but it's possible that you got a defective one. I don't think it would have been from having the molex plugged in. Also, when you do use the molex for extra power, make sure you have both plugged in. The one on the top and the one on the side.

agent412 said:

So I got the 2.0 version which only has 1 molex connector on the MB. Maybe I should get the one with 2 next time.

Do you still need powered risers with 2 molex on the MB or can you just use non-powered in this case?
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    The BTC PRO 2.0 version has 2 molex connectors near the PCI slots, one facing upwards near the CPU, one facing sideways underneath the last PCI slot.
    Yep @BUTUZ you are right thanks. Do you still use powered risers with the two molex connectors?
  • AbcedarianAbcedarian Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I had one that was giving me fits. I was ready to send it back. I gave it one last shot and it fired up. It runs fine now. I have no idea what changed. I probably did something wrong 50 times in a row and then got it right. ;)

As I struggled with that I got a Biostar tb85 https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=tb85&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I haven't had any problems with these (2) at all.
  • OverconOvercon Member Posts: 37
    It could be a bios issue? Sometimes if you have a CPU that's new and an older board like this you need to update to the newest bios to support the newer CPU's. Have you checked that? you got an older slower CPU you can stick in to see if it works?