web 2.0, web 3.0

jpritikinjpritikin Member Posts: 29
edited November 2014 in Watercooler
What is the point of using terminology like "web 2.0" or "web 3.0"? To me, these terms do not mean anything and potentially confuse what we are trying to communicate.

According to wikipedia, web 2.0 "may allow users to interact and collaborate with each other in a social media dialogue as creators of user-generated content in a virtual community, in contrast to Web sites where people are limited to the passive viewing of content." But I agree with Tim Berners-Lee, who described the term as jargon. Wikipedia admits, "Web 2.0 suggests a new version of the World Wide Web, [but] it does not refer to an update to any technical specification..."

Hence, I advise against the mention of "web 3.0" as a description of ethereum. I am not sure where this came from, but I think it is counterproductive. Ethereum is a very important project, but there is a place for modesty and understatement in marketing ethereum. I suggest that we let the software speak for itself and minimize the hype in our description of it.

Comments